Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going along on the highway the other day when I had slowed down for traffic, then when I shifted up from fourth to fifth, the dang thing wouldn't go in. I tried it again and BANG. It went in but really hard. Along I went and then the same darned thing happened again.

I thought, let me take it in for an oil change. It's been 4,500 miles since my last oil chenge. I took it out of the shop and boy did I notice a real difference in the smoothness of the shifting. Has anyone else noticed this with their Wing? Mine is an '08 and never any real problems. I am keeping my eye on this though, as I know that tranny problems can be quite costly.

I usually bring it in after 5,000 mi. for new oil. The manual says 8,000 is acceptable. I personally wouldn't wait that long though. Just me - I figured I'd split the difference between 8,000 and the usual 3,000 that a lot of folks do. What say you???

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
I change the oil every 2500 miles, I do a lot of stop and go riding

·
Registered
109 Posts
You did not say which oil you use. Once I had an oil 'break down' and made the engine sound as if it had thrown a rod and the pistons were slapping around! I never used that oil again! However it was a long time ago, maybe around the 70's, but it stuck with me.

I use AMSOIL exclusively! It has always given me good service with no 'break down' problems ever. When I changed over to AMSOIL in my 2009 Goldwing, the 'klunck' when I shifted gears completely stopped. Now it just slides into each gear up or down shifting. It shifts smoothly with no noise at all! I was impressed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You did not say which oil you use. Once I had an oil 'break down' and made the engine sound as if it had thrown a rod and the pistons were slapping around! I never used that oil again! However it was a long time ago, maybe around the 70's, but it stuck with me.

I use AMSOIL exclusively! It has always given me good service with no 'break down' problems ever. When I changed over to AMSOIL in my 2009 Goldwing, the 'klunck' when I shifted gears completely stopped. Now it just slides into each gear up or down shifting. It shifts smoothly with no noise at all! I was impressed.
What grade of AMSOIL do you use and where do you find it?
Thanks, Sponge

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
I went to synthetic . I get the smoothest shifts when I come out of my driveway, no click, no clunk. Once she warms up down the road the click or the clunk is back. I'd like to use Amsoil but it is not sold conveniently at any outlet. I use Rotella 6T from Wal-Mart at $20.00 a gallon.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use Castrol 10w40 since new. I know a few people here use it also. I'll have to see how it holds up though.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
I am just asking?? Does anyone use the Honda oil? I figure if Honda puts their name on it it should be ok, and you wont have to worry about any warranty issues? I am taking mine in tomorrow for the first change. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
As oil wears down it loses its viscosity and I have found that the shifts become louder and not as smooth. I've always changed the oil and filter in my bikes at 4k and the rear differential every other time. Get out on the bike and ride, time is running short for us guys up north. Ride safe..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I always used Castrol in my 1500's and never had a problem, in my 02 Gold Wing I used Shell Rotella synthetic, in my 08 I still use Honda oil, haven't switched over to synthetic, I change the oil in all my vehicles at 3,000 miles so the longevity of the oil is not in question. Sorry to be skeptical but I don't think any oil will eliminate the clunk totally. I know people that use all kinds of different oils and none have eliminated the clunk, it's a Honda thing

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Echo what Joe just said, the 'clunk' will never go away completely. I use Amsoil now, and the 1-2 shift is far better but still has the characteristic Wing clunk; the other shifts are buttery smooth now in comparison to what they were, but not really what I'd call silent like my ST was. My other two Wings were clunky as well, but were better when I started using the Spectro 4 synthetic (no Amsoil in those days), the 1200 smoothed out the most, and the 1500 not as much but still better.
Ralphumor mentioned the Honda oil being ok and it is. I based my decision on test results and responses from riders of all types of bikes before choosing the Amsoil. For an OEM branded product, the HP4 tested miserably in many of the categories, although it faired better than the HD branded oil did. I just want the best for my engine not what's ok and cheapest. I have two outlets for Amsoil here in town and that carried some influence, no Rotella or Motul.

·
Registered
52 Posts
smoother shifting

Had shifting problems with my 78 wing in traffic,using Valvoline 10-40 motorcycle oil when the temp. was over 85 deg. Honda oil wasn't much better.
I now use Castrol 20-50 motorcyle oil and it shifts like butter even with more than 5,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Honda GN4 oil and OEM Filter. Every 2500 miles or sooner in stop & go riding.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I am just asking?? Does anyone use the Honda oil? I figure if Honda puts their name on it it should be ok, and you wont have to worry about any warranty issues? I am taking mine in tomorrow for the first change. Thanks!
I've used the Honda oil and oem filters since my first oil change with no problems whatsoever. I buy my filters and crush washers from Wingstuff and get my Honda oil from Rocky Mountain MC/ATV. That way, I know the warranty's solid.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I always use the specific AMSOIL Motorcycle Oil, 10w30. I use the AMSOIL 75w90 Long Life Gear Lube in the differential also.
You can contact Bob on this forum here to get AMSOIL sent to you, he is a forum sponsor. [www.bestoil4you.com] That is his web site.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I change my oil and filter every 4K using Honda oil and filter mainly because of extended warranty. Once warranty is over I will switch to synthetic

·
Registered
30 Posts
I change my oil and filter every 4K using Honda oil and filter mainly because of extended warranty. Once warranty is over I will switch to synthetic
It is my understanding that I've heard many times that if a company specifies that their brand must be used to comply with their warranty, then they must provide it at no cost, and they arn't going to do that. In other words, you don't have to use Honda Oil to keep it in warranty. You must use a oil that meets the specs that they specify.
I use synthetic and change every 5000 miles. I've got 100,000+ and its as smooth as new, probably smoother.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hogwash

That was my understanding as well Shimpy. My mechanic advised me that as long as I change my oil, within the recommended time frame from Honda, I was free to use any good oil I wanted. And that goes for going to a reputable mechanic, or changing it myself. That's the reason to keep all of your reciepts. This reciept record proves that you've complied with Honda's recommendations.

A friend of mine won't go to any other place but Harley, even for an oil change - to keep in good standing with the warranty. Hogwash.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I've been using semi synthetic in the past and changing it with filter every 5000 kilometres (3100 miles). I just bought Amsoil full synthetic will synthetic filter to see if I can see any difference. I will be doing the oil change in the next little while. This might be the last oil change for the season. I've never had a problem in the past, but I know a lot of guys that run this oil.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just had mine changed last week. That was the last oil change for this season as well. When I take her out in the Spring, the first thing I do is have the oil changed.

I don't wait for the mileage to turn to the right amount at that time. I figure the bike's been sitting still for five months, in a cold garage (even though it does have some heat through a heating duct), so I change it again for a fresh start in the Spring. I think that most bikers practice this as well; if not then they probably should.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts