Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, my problem is that when I first start my bike after it's been sitting for a few days, it smokes really, really badly. It smells like coolant a bit too, wondering if there is a head gasket issue with this model? the bike has about 150k miles on it. also it will run a little rough off idle too, though this could be a clogged pilot jet, I just bought the bike for $400 after it sat for about 3 years in a garage.
the coolant is a little low after I topped it off, and it seems to smoke worse on the the right side. if it is a head gasket how hard is it to change? I'm a very good wrench, I just don't want to put a lot of time and money in this bike if it's on it last leg, but it does run very good still and i really enjoy riding it.

let me know, should it stay...or should it go....

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Moto,
Is the smoke white? That would be coolant. Blueish smoke = oil. Black/dark smoke = usually too much fuel.
An easy check would be to take it to a garage that can "sniff" the exhaust. Most decent car shops have these test machines. It will tell you if there is coolant leaking into a cylinder.
Have you checked the plugs? Do you see any that are super clean? This is usually a sign of coolant getting into the engine.
Do you see coolant in the oil? Is the oil a bit milky? If the leak is bad enough you may see water on the dipstick.
I've never changed a head gasket on a Wing so I can't help you there.
Good Luck!
Rob

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Try to park it on the center stand for a few days and see if the smoke is less or gone, a 1200 Gl. will do this if parked this way, it is no big thing, if it runs nice and the smoke goes away after worm up for $400 I would ride all day, have fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts