Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this is the correct forum but will try.

Just picked up a 1989 1500 with 60k. I've noticed a fuel smell when riding, not necessarily just after fill up and not consistently or with tank full, 1/2 etc. Also the PO said he had replaced the gas cap and I see it has a nipple on it like for a vent but it is not connected. The PO said it never did connect to anything. Are these related? Should the nipple have a vent hose on it directed to the bottom of the motor? If not any thoughts on the odor origination?

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
7,603 Posts
On my 1993 there is a vent hose attached to the cap leading down.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I would check the tray around the gas filler opening. Your fuel petcock valve maybe leaking. Sometimes you can see the gas in the tray and other times you can not see it. The valve is located toward the front of the gas filler opening.

·
Super Moderator
9,992 Posts
There should be a vent hose connected to the cap. If that is missing you will get gas fumes..

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
check the filler cap gasket too, it could be cracked.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll get a hose on and check the seal but he said it was pretty new, will check anyway. So there's a fuel shutoff on these bikes?

I still need to pull some plastic off so I can see what's what under there. Never owned a motorcycle where all you can see are the rocker covers.

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
If I remember correctly, there is a canister on the front of the 1800 behind the lower shroud, that tends to get damaged and cause the smell.

·
Premium Member
24,118 Posts
It's called the " Evaporative Canister ". We had a forum fellow here some time back when, with the same complaint. We pointed him this direction, but he kept on complaining. Later, he comes back and reveals that the problem was the canister . In short, it's the first place to start .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.