Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am interested in buying an older wing..... possibly a gl1000 , 1100, or 1200. I have been riding for about 15 years and am 56 years old. I have had several bikes in the past but none as heavy as a wing. My present bikes are a BMW r1200r roadster about 490 pounds wet and a 1996 vfr 750 about 520 pounds. I just bought the VFR and love it and surprisingly don't really notice the weight as much as i traded a 1999Kawasaki zx6r for it . ( which was about 100 pounds lighter ) I am not concerned about the seat height as i have had most or all of my bikes lowered, what i am worried about is the weight of the bike. i am only 5'4" tall and weigh 160 pounds. ......is the wing too much bike for me, any shorter riders out there that can offer some advice. i have owned a Harley superglide in the past which i believe weighs over 600 pounds, but because of the twins lower centre of gravity and very low seat height ( both feet firmly on the ground , i didn't really notice the weight. As a friend of mine said once....you are riding the bike not carrying it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ....thanks.

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF. The Wing can be difficult for riders of small stature. There are lots of options out there to get someone comfortable on one. Lower seats & such.

An Ole Fossil's opinion for you is to find some to look at, possibly sit on & best yet be able to take a ride on so you can judge for yourself. That may be a difficult task but one I'm sure will work best for finding the info.

Good Luck & again Welcome

G

·
Hi Dodi, Welcome! I recently got a GL1800. I don’t know how this compares to 1000, 1100 or 1200.
I call myself a 5’8” height but my wife says I’m 5’7. So recently I measured myself accurately. Barefoot, I am somewhere in between, closer to the first number in AM and later in the day closer to the second number.( People’s height may vary by up to a half an inch between AM and PM)
Back to the subject, I think I am at the lower limit of being able to ride this type of bike without special boots or lowered seats.
The advise from Fossil is best.

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Hi Dodi, Welcome! I recently got a GL1800. I don’t know how this compares to 1000, 1100 or 1200.
I call myself a 5’8” height but my wife says I’m 5’7. So recently I measured myself accurately. Barefoot, I am somewhere in between, closer to the first number in AM and later in the day closer to the second number.( People’s height may vary by up to a half an inch between AM and PM)
Back to the subject, I think I am at the lower limit of being able to ride this type of bike without special boots or lowered seats.
The advise from Fossil is best.
Howdy Dodhi. Ole Gizmo and I are are the same height as we are called vertically challenged too. I can barely flat foot my 95 GL 1500 and could not do so on my previous 85 GL 1200. When I was test riding bikes I can recall an 84 GL 1200 that I could easily flat foot. The proof is in the pudding. You're going to need to sit on the bikes and see how they fit you. Most of these bikes will have a rear air suspension, so the pressure can be run lower as the bike will sit lower. Going darkside means running a car tire on rear and with some tires, lowers the bike slightly too. The seat can also be modified. I think though, the older vintage Wings cannot be lowered. Perhaps others here may know more about that. Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
welcome,
i'm there now 5'7" 29" inseam with a 2012 GW. (dove in head first). I can almost flatfoot at traffic stops and need to slightly lean on one leg. if you ask me honda missed the boat on this one. there are so many riders like us and other companies that can turn out 25"-27" seats are taking away customers. i digress tho, the best way to find out if this is for you is get on one and test drive it. i did and was a little intimidated at first with 920lbs of bike waiting for me to make a bobo. older wings have a 30" seaqts as aposed to the recent models of 29". good luck on your desicion and hope to see you on the road

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Welcome to both of you Dodi and rufus15. Proof is in the being there doing that. It is the season for the 'come ride with us' event so just go do it, its what the demo tour is about. I'm not long in the inseam (32") but I have no trouble at all flat-footing both feet. The weight on Wings is well below the belt-line of the bike so it's very managable, just takes a bit of getting used to.

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Dodi,
I'm 5'4" tall and for me the GL1500 was a bad idea and I have a Voyager unit on mine so I can enjoy riding it. Custom seats and thick sole boots are a help
rufus 15,
You can have a custom seat or have the present one cut down. There is a lowering link for the 1800.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I am 5'5' & have a GL1500 I was a bit intimidated at first but you soon learn to handle girl. Sometimes I have my moments but as soon as you as over 5 to 10mph she feels a smooth as silk. My advice to you is have a go yourself its not as heavy as you may think. Ride safe.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am 5'7" w/ a 29 inseam and if my Wing wasn't triked, i don't know how comfortable I'd feel on it. I also have a Harley Ultra Classic, but with lowered shocks. i can flatfoot it easily enough, but it is so heavy that I have to be careful when parking to make sure i can use the bike to get out of the space.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.