Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 ASP ... I have noticed from the last to rides I have a wet spot that's dripping from the rear of the engine, the drips show up a day after the ride .... the puddle isn't much... about the size of a quarter ... the bike is always parked on the center stand during fueling and/or parked ... Im asking other owners of 1500 Wings if they ever experienced this before or know of others who have

·
Super Moderator
11,892 Posts
It's possible one of the coolant hoses is leaking on top of the engine and drips down. The connections on the 1500s used a tape between the metal and rubber, it breaks down over the years and creates a leak.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What color is the drip? Dip your finger in it and take a sniff, If it smells sweet and is sort of pink or green it is coolant. If brown and slippery then oil. Check that out and then post here. I check this quite a bit, so maybe I can help if someone else doesn't do it first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its coolant...being a tad slippery ... the spot where it drips isnt very big .. so the cement soaks up the fluid accept a film on top of the cement ... if that is clear as muddy water... how in the heck can you get to the top of the motor unit... take all the covering around the motor unit off ??? and thank you for the reply

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense... now...as I said in another reply... take all the covering around the motor unit off to get there ???

·
Registered
246 Posts
It is due to the colder fall air temps after it has cooled down. My 88 did it every winter on one of the hoses that go to the water pump. I also had one of the small hoses on top of the motor that would do the same thing. Clamps were tight. When the air temps warmed up, it did not do it until the next winter.

To get to the small hoses on top of the motor, yes, all the plastic has to come off. Also the fans and radiators. I even had the carbs out. It is a bunch of work to get to everything. If you are going to do this, get the Honda hoses because they have bends in them. You will not find these at your local auto parts store. Some will be discontinued. All you need to do is get one that is available and cut it to length. I did all of them on my 88 when I got it back in 2012.

While you have everything apart, switch out the vacuum lines with Metric lines while you are at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
isn't it strange that the hoses would leak when it cooled off ...that's what I feared have to strip it down to get to all of the connections ... but its a job to do... agree on swapping out the hoses and vacuum lines ... thanks for the input

·
Registered
216 Posts
The first time or two that you pull all the Tupperware you'll cuss it. Once you figure out how it all comes off, you realize that it's really not that big of a deal.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts