Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 2003 wing for month and a half, And I got my first doe with it Monday! Didnt go down, Didnt get hurt. Killed deer and $5300.00 damage. Prob wont get it back till mid August. Sniff sniff.......

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Sorry to hear about bike but it's better than you getting hurt.

By the way Love the Avatar!

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Any one you can walk away from is a blessing. Ride safe and get that Wing fixed and back on the road...

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Congratulations of sorts. Almost got one last Saturday but the mini-van in front took the bullet for me. Nice riding. When you feel up to it a little detail on the sequence of events would be an interesting read. We are over run with deer here in the suburban shadows of Washington D.C. and evening driving is done at your own risk. I have run the scenario of a deer crossing my path a thousand times while riding down known deer corridors. I see myself crouching low on the bike and just holding on.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Glad your OK, hopefully the bike can be repaired timely. Knew a guy in Illinois that hit a deer broadside at 70 mph on the interstate. He stopped the bike and put down the side stand, his SO had a broken leg from the rear end of the animal swinging around an slamming into her, bike was totaled. Dealer told us that the wing absorbed the energy...only on a wing!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hit a deer on Saltspring Is. off the coast of Vancouver. I was travelling at about 60km's per hour on a road that was raised about six feet from the ditches on each side. My wife was on the back and it was mid day. I noticed a movement from the left side of the road, a fraction of a second later this deer on the full on run tried to jump the road. I have practiced this in my mind several times so the response was almost automatic. I turned right onto him striking the deer right on the hind quarters. The backside of the deer went over the windscreen and summersaulted into the ditch on my right side.neither of us was hurt but the bike had $ 3500.00 in damages.
How Honda can charge $ 450.00 each for the two piece front fender is criminal. No wonder our insurance is so high.
Moral of the story, if you gotta hit it aim for the back end then you are not dealing with the head hitting you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was 5:30 in the Morning, Heading to work. I live in deer country in upstate NY. I watch for those critters all the time. Geuss I looked down to switch from am to fm and when I looked up it was there. Hit it in the neck and head. And ya those plastic fairings are EXPENSIVE. Probably saved my life though. I dont have a scratch!

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Welcome from Seattle.

I hit a deer on Orcas Island three years ago and it bruised my right leg from ankle to knee. The deer hit the front end and crash bar which knocked it down and its head hit my leg. I was going 30 to 35 mph during the day and I didn't even get a chance to cover the brake before the deer was into my bike. I didn't go down and the only thing that happened to the bike was some deer snot on all over it. I was very lucky.

On the way back to town, I had a bee land between my helmet and my face at the eye level and it stung me and my right eye swollen up. I looked like I had been severely beaten as I could hardly put any weight on my right foot.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Jeebus, that's aweful, glad yer not banged up. Had a close one with Bambi last summer, I was lucky, hope you get her back soon.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Glad you are alright, sorry about the wing.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Good to see that you are ok after a meeting with the wild side of the USA. Hitting a deer seems to to be a bit of a problem over there. Eric

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your bike. Here in western Pa. we have to watch for deer also. Glad your ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it back

Got it back yesterday, Im loving it. I cant get enough. Thanks for everyones kind words. Look forward to many more chats!:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts