Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 GW has a drag, almost like clutch is slightly engaged when I start it up. Bike is garaged in FL, parked in 1st gear. After starting, it will not shift out of 1st gear without extreme pressure. With clutch disengaged in first gear, the bike will almost move ahead on its own. Once it is warmed up, the shifting is "normal".

Any ideas?
Will be visiting dealer in week or so. Bike has 4K mi and recent 4 K service.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Better have them check the clutch hydraulic system. Sounds like it needs bled or is binding.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Take it back to the dealer. A new bike like that I wouldn't even try fixing myself.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I will tell you this. If I have my bike on the center stand and start it up in NEUTRAL, the rear tire will slowly revolve. I can stop it with my hand so it is not under torque influence . When the bike gets warm, on the center stand, the rear wheel stops revolving. Strange, very strange.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I will tell you this. If I have my bike on the center stand and start it up in NEUTRAL, the rear tire will slowly revolve. I can stop it with my hand so it is not under torque influence . When the bike gets warm, on the center stand, the rear wheel stops revolving. Strange, very strange.
My 93, 1500 does the same thing. I think you'll find most wings will do it.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
My 93, 1500 does the same thing. I think you'll find most wings will do it.
I didn't think my observation was abnormal for the bike, only the rider. I would have to wonder why a garage stored bike needs to shut down in first gear, though. Of course when you start the bike cold the engine races for awhile until it drops to a running RPM. I wouldn't say the OP does not have a problem, but I wonder at the series of events described by racer here.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Not to dredge up another oil debate, but what oil are you using racer? One of the nicer properties of synthetics is it doesn't exhibit that kind of drag at startup. Do have your dealer check the clutch though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello,
Am taking bike into dealer next Wednesday as they need it for a few hours or a day to duplicate the clutch dragging situation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Every bike I have will do that. Its oil drag. It stops when the oil warms up. I would bet there is nothing wrong with your clutch. I would not bet its a synthetic oil thing either as my race bikes to the same. I see it all the time at the track as well. It always stops when the oil gets warm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is something not right and the cmment given earlier about the clutch setting would be my firsr guess also. Try parking it in neutal,then with the engine cooled down in the morning, start it and pull the clutch and shift to 1st gear. If it does not go in smoothly I would say it is a clutch setting issue.Does it shift on the go normally or when it gets warmed up does the cluch drag even more?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts