Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the thing, new to my dad's 2008 wing. I had to focus in order to come to a smooth straight line stop; steering felt way to sensitive and light (kinda like new to bicycle ridding with a wobbling feel). Tire pressure was good and I tried different suspension settings; any suggestions? Headbearing loose? :confused:

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
FJR Grad - If you hang out around this site you will find a lot of discussion on slow speed riding and the problems associated with it. I would recommend that you never use the front brake at slow speeds and just practice riding slow. Do a "slow ride race" with yourself and lots of stops and starts with some figure 8's thrown in for excitement.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I agree... find an empty parking lot and do some slow speed manuvers with the bike...it helps significantly to get use to the bike

...also Check your tires for any blistering or flat spots...

I am not sure what year...I think it was a earlier year (like 2001) but Honda did have a problem with welds on their frames on the GW's that made the bike wobble....do a search on this forum...I think there was a previous discussion on that topic.

Safe Ride...

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
FJR. Most of the wobble effect some of us 1800 riders have noted come about the 40 mph speed range. I can say that yours is the first I have heard here concerning the slow speed stops. Like MarkH, I wonder what your tires look like ? You are wondering if it's YOU or the BIKE ? Don't know your riding history, but this bike does not like a nervous rider controlling her. All things mechanical bring in good shape on this bike it should feel and be smooth and steady on the starts and stops. Headbearings loose ? That's an interesting proposition but only a mechanic with a torque wrench can confirm that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chopin114: Thanks for your reply. I'm a MSF motorcycle safety instructor, and I can help almost anyone stop smoothly. I've ridden older wings and have owned some top-heavy tourers. I'm comfortable maneuvering at slow speeds and I do practice (part of the job habit) But for the most part, I haven't convinced myself that this wing is o.k. (2008 under 11K miles). I won't see the bike again until 8/28 when I take possession of her to ride the 650 miles home-- so I will have to get my family to check the tires first.
Another way to describe the handling: Not that big a deal when ridding solo, but with my wife of 130lbs. it feels as though someone let the air out of tires and swapped my wife for a much heavy passenger. The front end is so light that I must focus in search of the center of balance that I'm used to taking for granted on my FJR. Yea, tires turn into pizza cutters.

·
Registered
217 Posts
FJRGrad...I am not a mechanic..but it sounds like you have a bad rear supension seal (shocks)...that only leaks (or gets worst) under load....it puts more downward pressur on the bike frame at a different angle thus lifting the front tire off the ground...had that same problem on my '81 GW when I blew a rear shock air seal...the bike's front end became real sloppy....hope this gives you another idea....

Safe Ride...

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
has the bike been sitting, maybe a flat spot on the tire from sitting a long time or tire cupping

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
chopin114: Thanks for your reply. I'm a MSF motorcycle safety instructor, and I can help almost anyone stop smoothly." Gee, FJR. You could have disclose that before! The plus side to this is that the bike is still under warranty. I just returned to riding in '06 and moved up to a Wing in November of '09. I've had my 140 lb +/- ?( she wont tell me ) wife on a couple of trips and I'm comfortable with the starts and stops and trust the bike. By most riders standards here, I am an inexperienced rider. Never took a class and failed my first parking lot maneuver attempts to get my class M license again back in ' 06. Obviously, something is wrong with your bike and although I can't offer any technical suggestions here I can offer profound interest in what is the cause.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Recap, with more truth:

Dad purchased it from shady new and remote dealer in MI. Dealer owner did not know Wings at all. I believe a poor set-up because it had an oil leak and loose headbearing (clunk over small bumps). Also had a scratched body part that owner promised to replace but ended up arguing over it and telling my dad to remove his old bike (consignment) from his shop.

Dad replaces headbearing with tapered-styled and installs progressive springs. So you see, looks like handling problem Dad just tried to get used to. Mom says he ended up routinely stopping quickly just because it was easier than a slower controlled stop.

chopin114: Stay tuned, I will get to the bottom of this. Look for my post in the weeks to come. To everyone else, thanks for your replies.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
FJR, welcome to the forum from Pa. Glad you found us and joined in. My 09 does not seem to exhibit the problems you described. Even with my daughter, it still tracks straight at slow speeds. Sounds like the culprit may be in that front suspension so keep searching and hope you find the cause. Shame to have such a great bike downgraded because of a problem. Ride safe and enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's what it may be:
Also learned that Dad modified handlebar reach--that with his corbin seat for the shorter inseamed guy makes for a tricycle feel. See, he is much shorter than I am, so I will put bars and seat back to stock after they check tires and what-not.

Thanks for the welcome folks; hope I can contribute soon :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
FJRGrad,
You did not say if the bike was purchased new or if your dad got it used from the "shady" dealer. Only reason I mention this is I bought what I thought was a super nice looking 1994 Wing with low miles a ways back. I've had bikes for over 25+ years and this Wing handled weird at slow speeds only, similar to what you are expieriencing. Ended up taking it to a dealer and found the bike had hit a deer. We found replaced body parts, some fur and one of the radiators was bent (but did not leak). The forks were tweaked. I sold it and I did tell the buyer what I had found. He ended up replacing the forks. Just another reason why a Wing could handle weird.
My 2010 handles like a dream compared to the older one.
Rob

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I hope I smell a rat. I ride an '08 also. The only difference, I presume, is my color is Arctic Pearl White.

·
Registered
691 Posts
It took me a while to get accustom to the wing at slow speed. You can be syched out by riding a wing where the fairing is attached to the frame. For most riders the problem is between their ears. When you are slowing to a stop use more rear break, keep front wheel straight when stopping and look strait ahead. Slow manuvering is a matter of looking where you want to go. If you pick a spot in the road where you want to go and look at it you will find your front wheel rolls over that spot. In short it is the same as any other bike.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I also own an 08 and do not experience any of the problems you describe. The wreck/rebuild scenerio seems to have warrent here. Head bearing problem with basically no miles on Wing? Oil seeping out of forks? Shady dealer that doesn't know Wings? Hmmmmm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts