Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2012 Wing back in October 2020 with 37K miles and have been practicing slow speed moves the typical u turns , figure eights and circles to get comfortable with the weight of the bike. The goal is eventually getting my wife on for some 2 up and much needed travel. With that being said I ride the clutch and brake as you need to do for practice I noticed on the ride home that in 5th gear when I gave more throttle the clutch slipped around the 3,000 rpm. When throttle up over 60 mph i can see and hear the engine rev or slip and didn’t gain the appropriate speed.
This is the first time I have experienced this and now wondering if I have worn the clutch out working on the slow speed stuff. With 39K on the meter I didn’t expect any issues at this point. Probably stupid to think this.
Any advice on this would really be helpful. Hopefully it is just an adjustment .

·
Super Moderator
12,069 Posts
Have you changed the clutch and brake fluid?

Reactions: Jinx

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If you were practicing for an extended amount of time while slipping the clutch you might have overheated it. If after letting it sit and cool if your still having problems try as said above flushing and bleeding the clutch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you were practicing for an extended amount of time while slipping the clutch you might have overheated it. If after letting it sit and cool if your still having problems try as said above flushing and bleeding the clutch.
I did practice for a good chunk of time . I have always been concerned about stressing the clutch and brake pads out but most of what I read and viewed say it doesn’t affect the performance. As Cantakerous mentioned I have not changed the clutch and brake fluid as I just purchased in October. I have approximately 2000 miles since buying.
I will take it out tomorrow and see if still have the issue. Hope your right.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It does seem odd. Your clutch should not have been impacted by your practice or at that mileage. Also, if the clutch was truly slipping, I would expect more of an issue starting from a full stop than from a roll-on at highway speed.

Change the engine oil and filter as well. Ensure you use oil without friction modifiers. Given the symptoms and to remove one source of concern, use Honda oil and filter.

Reactions: DesertRat

·
Registered
113 Posts
It does seem odd. Your clutch should not have been impacted by your practice or at that mileage. Also, if the clutch was truly slipping, I would expect more of an issue starting from a full stop than from a roll-on at highway speed.

Change the engine oil and filter as well. Ensure you use oil without friction modifiers. Given the symptoms and to remove one source of concern, use Honda oil and filter.
Like you said (y)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the advice. I will change the oil and filter but this happened immediately after the slow speed practice. I never felt any slippage at all before that. It was very obvious. I will be taking it out this morning to see if it wasn’t overheated by the slow practice. I would think a clutch replacement should be around 100K not 39K.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately it seems to be getting worse. I will try to attach video of the Tach showing the slipping. You can obviously hear it as well. This concerns me that it might be a replacement.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
When was the last oil change and what type of oil was it? Does it slip when you’re taking off in 2nd gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fluid might need changed, but that leads to not releasing.

A worn clutch will slip in high gear, before lower gears. The best way to check for a bad clutch, is put it in high gear, rev it up some and dump the clutch.

if it does not stall the engine immediately, it Is worn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts