Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any advice or experience with the Mrs sleeping on the back seat of their Wing? My wife is a little concerned about falling asleep then falling off while on our upcoming long trip.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Arm Rest offer some sense of security. My wife sleeps back there a lot on trips. Mostly on the Freeway, not so much on the back, twisty roads.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Seattle.

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area. When you attend chapter meetings you will find friendly folks that ride the same motorcycle you do, and they know their motorcycle.

You can find a local chapter by going their website: http://www.gwrra.org

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Firstly welcome to GWOF. Many years ago I was riding two up at night with my brother. We were on a 1971 350 Honda with a bag on the back. He laid right over that bag for 350 miles of the 400 miles. It wasn't fun because when he woke up he was lifting his legs up to get his upper body up and was upsetting the balance of the bike. Just a thought, try a coms. So you can talk and keep her awake. Eric

·
Registered
31 Posts
51% sleeps all the time on the wing. She just hooks her arms around the armrest/speaker pods and off she goes. She says it’s never a really deep sleep. Anyway, I figure she can’t get too far without me knowing about it.

Anyone have any advice or experience with the Mrs sleeping on the back seat of their Wing? My wife is a little concerned about falling asleep then falling off while on our upcoming long trip.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
My W does not ride, will not ride, says she doesn't like it etc. So......once I actually got her on and we rode about 50 miles for a hearty breakfast. Riding home I realize hmmmm she sure is quiet back there. I look around and she is sound asleep! At home I say, "dont tell me you aren't comfortable on the bike if you are back there sawing logs"! Well she saws logs but still wont ride. I wouldnt concern myself about a sleeping passenger on an 1800 Wing.

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Been there, Done that. Little Lady calls that her Zen time. Like Ron says the Arm rests give her the feeling of being in secure.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Congrats on having a riding partner who is feeling safe enough to fall asleep on the back.

Perhaps a bungy cord across the arm rests on long stretches might make the both of you more comfortable with her taking that snooze.

I wish my girl was comfortable enough to fall asleep on the bike. Mine won't do another 3500 mile journey. She said she had a butt full of it..... on our last long trip to Phoenix from Seattle. She says anything over 50 miles and she is out..... meaning not going along. She is so adamant about it that I got tired of moving the passenger arm rests to open the rear trunk that I just removed the arm rests. I think the bike looks better without them. I left the bracket on so I could put them on in the event that she would gain favor with the bike.

She is comfortable on the bike, she just doesn't enjoy it. I don't particularly enjoy golfing and decline the offer often....... so I get her point. It is frustrating though as I bought the bike to enjoy two up road tripping / camping.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I see this is common and doesn't seem to be a big deal.
I guess it's just new to me but it sounds scary as heck.
We are now a society that freaks when a passenger doesn't wear a seat belt in a car.
What if you have to swerve around something in the road?
I have never heard of a rider losing a passenger but I have seen the T-shirts. :D

Seriously, I would like a passenger who sleeps on the bike to explain this. Is it just not possible to fall to one side without waking up?
I would want to find a way to lock the side arms in place.
If that didn't work I'd be making a Velcro jacket. :)

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Not to Hi-Jack the thread, but this is a funny story. Back years ago when our grand daughter was 7 years old, I took her on a week end camping trip on the wing with our Kwik Kamp tent trailer to Carlton, Washington.
On the way home we just got down of the Cascade Mountains on Hwy-20 and had passed through Newhalem, she says Pappa I'm going to take a nap. I had the bungee cord between the arm rest so I wasn't concerned ( she had slept there before ). About 10 miles later I reached back to give her my I love you, pat on the leg. There was No leg on the leg side , check the right no leg there either. I Lost her was my first thought, then panic. When I felt up behind me she was there. I stopped on the shoulder to check her out. She had pulled both her legs up under herself, was sitting sideways sound a sleep. Guess she trusted Pappa.
Ron

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Here is some tough love...Falling asleep is inexcusable!!!:mad: You must discuss her job as a CO-RIDER....She is to assist you at all times.:rolleyes:

Now if she is like my wife she will say "Kiss my @$$"...Then you try Larry's bungie cord..Good Luck:D

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Not to Hi-Jack the thread, but this is a funny story. Back years ago when our grand daughter was 7 years old, I took her on a week end camping trip on the wing with our Kwik Kamp tent trailer to Carlton, Washington.
On the way home we just got down of the Cascade Mountains on Hwy-20 and had passed through Newhalem, she says Pappa I'm going to take a nap. I had the bungee cord between the arm rest so I wasn't concerned ( she had slept there before ). About 10 miles later I reached back to give her my I love you, pat on the leg. There was No leg on the leg side , check the right no leg there either. I Lost her was my first thought, then panic. When I felt up behind me she was there. I stopped on the shoulder to check her out. She had pulled both her legs up under herself, was sitting sideways sound a sleep. Guess she trusted Pappa.
Ron

omg i would have had a heart attack if i didnt see any legs , im thinking about getting a blow up doll and put back there on my seat no one will ride with me
:(:(

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
omg i would have had a heart attack if i didnt see any legs , im thinking about getting a blow up doll and put back there on my seat no one will ride with me
:(:(
Gordo: See For Gordo, rubber doll; thread

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm gonna throw a short piece of rope in my saddle bag for my flower (just in case she ever considers a ride more than 50 miles from home.) :D

A bungie cord could allow her to lean far enough to one side to clip either the guardrail or an oncoming vehicle, or throw the whole bike too far off balance to compensate. (Are you all picturing this in your mind? :D)

At least with a rope, she'll have to tear the whole damn armrest sytem off to get loose. And no... she ain't big!

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Our last trip I ask her how the reading was with a kindle, no blowing pages...She replied I really didnt read that much. I went to sleep. From Ky Tn border to Knoxville, thru the mountains she was asleep and I had no idea. WOW! She has slept on my 1984 700 Shadow back when well it was almost big enough for us. :D I agree I see the danger

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I don't have any problem with the wife sleeping at all ! She is all about riding and seeing , very quiet and still except when she rubs my back ! I gather from what i have read that i am one of the fortunate to have a lady that enjoys the ride from beginning to end ! I wouldn't think of leaving the house without her unless she just didn't want to go and that has never happened in three years ! My lady loves me and her half of the bike ! Yes ! She paid for half the bike and i paid for half , that way i have money in my pocket !!

·
Registered
768 Posts
my wife and I have a unspoken agreement when I reach back to touch her leg she knows I am checking on her she always rubs my back to let me know she is fine. when she needs a brake she will let me know.
You could give her a job of taking pictures, recording video or making some hamburgers while your blasting down the turnpike. You got the wing with the built in grill right?:D the point is give her something to do.

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
L2R, I'll get the little lady to give an explanation & I will PM you. This Ole Fossil's opinion is simple. If your passenger is comfortable doing it. Let her do her thing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts