Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don't know if we have ever talked about this, but do you skip gears when up or down shifiting. I find the gearing to be very close on the Goldwing, so it's very easy to skip a gear going up without dragging the engine. Sometimes I skip 3rd going up. Downshifting I can skip a gear or two also.

And at what RPMs do you shift. Do you wind it out or keep it under a certain RPM. I tend to ride conservative and usually shift between 2-3k, but I notice it shifts smoother at higher RPMs..

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Don't skip gears.

Wing - shift between 2-3K have taken it up to merge or to pull out quick in traffic.

Nighthawk - shift between 5-6 but have been known to go 10k or so.;)

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Usually Shifting up between 2K and 3.5K unless I got to get out in traffic then I get on it a little more. Don't skip going up.
Coming down I might skip a gear, again depend on the situation.
Oh yah it's a 1500

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I have always tried to stay around 3K while shifting. While driving the Camry, I noticed it too shifted at 3K....so I must be right.:D

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
I like the 1200. It likes to rev. In the city I am a good boy and change by 4000rpms and sometimes skip a gear.In the city I tend to ride in 4th gear and when approaching a red drop it down to 2nd. In the hills and having a little fun 4000 rpms to 8000 rpms. Eric

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
I do the up at around 3k and never skip now going down it all is in the what is going on and how fast I have to get my butt stoped.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
i usually upshift the 1500 wing between 1800 and 2500 rpm
i usually upshift the 1200 wing between 2200 and 3000 rpm

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
I shift 3k to 3.5k rpms, depending on my mood. if 35 to 45 is the speed limit then , 3rd or 4th gear is a waste of motion for me.

I also downshift according to the speed. If I came off the highway and coast down to 20 mph, I drop to 3rd or whatever makes sense. At 5-10 mph, 2nd gear.

I may not be exact on the numbers, I go by sound and percieved speed. The intent, when slowing down, is to be low to mid range in a gear I am dropping to so I have some throttle if something changes and I need it. That is the reason for downshifting anyway.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Like a couple others have mentioned, it depends on the mood and traffic variables and a couple other influences (like if my "conscience" is behind me:rolleyes:). I don't think I've ever purposely skipped a gear ever (but I have missed the odd one). I'm more inclined to let the engine rev some rather than take it lazy though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't skip at all and I shift between 1800 and 2200 RPM just like my car. Guess I'm a grandpa driver LOL! Plenty of power on the 1550 at this RPM

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Wow! This thread has really educated me. No wonder my shifts are so jerky! No more 6-7,000 rpm shifts in town for me!:D

Seriously, I skip gears only when downshifting into corners and stops. I'm so cheap I want to spread the wear across all the gears evenly!

·
Registered
674 Posts
When the mood strikes me I shift at the rev limiter or just before the valves go crashing into the pistons.::eek::D
I never skip a gear but sometimes I will shift up faster than normal
so I can continue my wheelie while texting and eating.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I don't skip gears, they're there for a reason. I normally shift at 2,7500 to 3,000 on the 1200 and 1,500 to 2,000 on the 1500,

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I skip all the time first to third normally, maybe a little quick off the line and then decide I want to actually keep my licence so put it up to third.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Don't know if we have ever talked about this, but do you skip gears when up or down shifiting. I find the gearing to be very close on the Goldwing, so it's very easy to skip a gear going up without dragging the engine. Sometimes I skip 3rd going up. Downshifting I can skip a gear or two also.

And at what RPMs do you shift. Do you wind it out or keep it under a certain RPM. I tend to ride conservative and usually shift between 2-3k, but I notice it shifts smoother at higher RPMs..
1, 3 and 5 usually work for me at any reasonable rpm and that is aboard a 1500!!! On an 1800 I could probably get by with 1 and 5.

Of course I'm retired and not in a hurry to get there or back. :D

At times I could use a number 6.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.