Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Returned from a ride with my son and son-in-law on Friday, July 5th. My son started from Phoenix on his 2012 Ducati Multistrada, used to be mine, to my home here in northwest New Mexico. We left the next morning for Denver to join up with my son-in-law who just purchased a 2018 Goldwing Tour manual. On the way to Denver we went over Cumbres Pass north of Chama, New Mexico. Sad to say but the bark beetles have gotten over into those woods also in just the last year. The next day the three of us left for Caspar, Wyoming. Just south of Estes Park, Colorado two mountain sheep rams burst out of some woods, I was in the lead, and I got to test the brakes on my 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT. After I got my heart beat back to normal we continued on.

The next day was an easy ride to Buffalo, Wyoming. We visited the Fort Phil Kearney site 20 miles north of town. Back in December 1867 a Major Fetterman went after a decoy of Sioux warriors and ended up in the middle of an estimated 1000 warriors. Needless to say he and his entire command of 87 soldiers were wiped out. For several months before the massacre he had been boasting that he could conquer the whole Sioux nation with just one company of cavalry.

We left out of Buffalo the next morning heading towards Billings, Montana. When we got to Dayton, Wyoming we turned west on US 14 over the Bighorn Mountains. At about 6,500 feet we went into a cloud bank. Visibility was no more than a hundred feet making us slow to 25 mph. Higher up it cleared off some but there was a black wall coming up so we stopped and suited up. We were in torrential rain then hail with strong cross winds at the 8,200 foot summit. The son-in-law thought this was the best part of the trip.

The next morning we visited the Little Bighorn battlefield. The U.S. government sure makes a lot of money on one of the biggest military blunders in U.S. history. We were chased by severe thunderstorms all the way down to the Black Hills. They caught up with us while eating dinner at Custer, South Dakota. Rode the last 14 miles to Hill City in a light rain without bothering to suit up.

On to North Platte, Nebraska the next day. This part of the country is where seldom is still heard. Ranches and an occasional farm dotted the landscape going through the Sand Hills of the state.

On the final day we rode on highway U.S. 30 to Julesburg, Colorado where we found the Fort Sedgewick museum closed for another two hours. Decided to jump onto Interstate 76 and make a dash into Denver. Pulled into the daughter's home around 3 PM.

The next day the son and I rode the fastest, shortest route back to Farmington, New Mexico. Then he left for Phoenix early the next day to get home before it hit 108 degrees.

We had a joyful time. The motorcycles performed flawlessly except for a nail in the rear tire that caused a flat on the Ducati, it was successfully plugged. The Cardo Packtalks the three of us had turned the ride into one of fellowship between us. It also made it safer and more efficient. Both of them are already talking about another one next year. They have to go back to work though to keep paying those Social Security taxes.

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
That looks like it was an awesome time....Nice Duc.

A family get together that you all will keep in the memory book.:clap:

·
Premium Member
4,335 Posts
Great ride and sounds like some great family times.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Great stuff! I love that area.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Hey, Guys. Did you see this? DesertRat is considering setting up an M&G for next year and bringing his son and son-in-law. Maybe this could be celebrating the anniversary of "Cody, Cody, Cody, 2015"

·
Administrator
15,315 Posts
Looks like y'all had a great trip. Did you sit down for a beer at the Occidental bar in Buffalo?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like y'all had a great trip. Did you sit down for a beer at the Occidental bar in Buffalo?
No, but we did eat lunch in the adjacent restaurant, newly opened. After lunch we wandered through the hotel and the bar sightseeing. Mounted the motorcycles for the ride up to the Fort Phil Kearny state park then back to town to check into the motel. By then thunderstorms were menacing the town so we headed for the Winchester Restaurant where we had dinner and sat out the storm. The lights flickered several times during dinner. We met a couple on a 2012 (?) Goldwing at the motel who had clocked 15,000 on it since April. The rider said they were heading back to Michigan after touring most of the west, even going up to Alaska. He had a luggage rack attached to a trailer hitch on the back so if anyone on this site who knows them I can vouch that they at least made it to Buffalo.

·
Registered
507 Posts
This trip will be discussed many a times in the future around family gatherings. When you are too old to ride you will smile when you think about the fun you had with your family

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.