Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Sidecar Drivers,

I am having a sidecar (Hannagin) installed on my 1500.
My question is how easily will I adapt to having this thing hanging on out there. I have been having nightmares.

I would love any tips.

Doug Stephens
[email protected]

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Doug, I'm likely the last guy to take advice on a sidecar from as I've never driven one. I have ridden with two hack riders in the past though and they both said it took some getting used to. Now that was 20 years ago and things have evolved some, but they both said that an "easy-steer" was a must for their rigs. Still required a fair amount of input at the bars to turn, but it wasn't unmanageable. I think that there would still be a bit of a tendancy for the car's wheel to lift on a sharp right, and the rig would steer heavy on lefts. I'd bet money that a c/t on the rear of the bike and the car would be worth investigating, not sure about the loading effects on the front tire but I'd expect some heavier lateral forces for sure.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I once came upon a guy standing next to his down Goldwing at an intersection. No scuff marks in the road, just looked like he gently laid it down while stopped. I helped him get it up and off the road. While talking with him I had to ask: "What happend?" He looked down and with a bit of hesitation said, "I took the sidecar off last night." Be careful!

·
Banned
3,186 Posts
Try riding a lawn tractor around fast corners. That is how I feel about them. Done it. It is not for me again, YET. I think they would be a very good alternative to a trike, but you lose the two wheel feel.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey Sidecar Drivers,

I am having a sidecar (Hannagin) installed on my 1500.
My question is how easily will I adapt to having this thing hanging on out there. I have been having nightmares.

I would love any tips.

Doug Stephens
[email protected]
I've got a trike kit on my 1500. This is what I found initially:

• Watch out for the width. You'll either come dangerously close to other vehicles or overcompensate and get too close to the curb or other obstacles.
  • Oh yeah, the width and parking - be careful not to scrape the guy you park next to; you won't take it into consideration as you ship into a parking space unless you think about
  • Turning tight turns takes practice; you will lift the outer wheel on your sidecar now and then; practice doing it in a big parking lot before it happens in the wild.
  • steering will be near the same as it is for my trike kit; it takes more muscle than physical leaning finesse

The nice thing is that all this type of thing disappears with experience and you'll soon wonder why you were ever bothered with it in the first place.

You'll appreciate the extra wheel on the ground when it's raining outside!

You'll get a ton of stares which is a good thing as it means others will likely notice you and not hit you :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love it. Simple as that. I just got back from a ride with my 5 year old. Of course it doesn't ride like a regular bike. Once you realize that the fun begins. I have a '93 1500 with a Hannigan 2+2. Make sure you get a feel how wide you rig is. My garage door way will forever remind me every time I pull in. (rookie mistakes).

It's a great set up. I don't need any extra steering stuff. Sure when you take off from a stop your handle bars will turn to the left a bit and when you brake they will go right some. You can't take one hand off the bars like you can when your cruzing. At least I don't. Turning is easy but deliberate.

It is different, but in a fun way. I feel more stable, plus for me, I can take the entire family (wife and 2 kids).

I hope you like talking to people. If you don't, then make you gas stops at 2 am because you will be the center of attention.

Any questions just ask. Have a blast!!

·
Super Moderator
9,870 Posts
Highlander, welcome to the forum from another Keystone resident. Enjoy the forum and ride safe..

·
Premium Member
23,764 Posts
Highlander: Breakfast/ Lunch is a regular meeting place on a nice weekend at Perkins in Gettysburg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds good Chopin 114. That would be a nice ride. I'll keep that on my list!

p.s. I'm also Dark Side and I think it really adds stability with the side car.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Greetings Highlander from another Pa guy. I can usually be found with Two Wheel & the Maestro (Chopin114).

Typically, Classic Eggs Favorite - Over easy, Hashbrowns, Bacon, Pancakes & Coffee.:D

Here's some pictures of a ride I treated myself to in Sept. Of course the both of those guys stood me up.:rolleyes:

Sunrise over Pa & breakfast.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice pics Fossil 92. What can be better than a restaurant destination stop? Also, I see you've checked out a lot of our country by bike. I'm envious. I'm new to the GW so not nearly as miles, but I'm trying!

Hope to meet up with the trio some morning.

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Highlander
Hello and welcome to the forum.
There's a great group of guys and gals here.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Nice pics Fossil 92. What can be better than a restaurant destination stop? Also, I see you've checked out a lot of our country by bike. I'm envious. I'm new to the GW so not nearly as miles, but I'm trying!

Hope to meet up with the trio some morning.
Yeah the little lady & I had one heck of a trip in 2010. Memories to last a life time.

Your 1st Breakfast is on the Maestro.:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
23,764 Posts
Sounds good Chopin 114. That would be a nice ride. I'll keep that on my list!

p.s. I'm also Dark Side and I think it really adds stability with the side car.
Great minds think alike. Did you read that fossil ? GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Just so you know. Two Wheel is the grounded one. The Maestro & I usually just TRY to follow his example.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts