Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and already have a question. Just washing my new 2008 GL1800. As I dried around the left side louver the top blade came off in my hand. I was able to snap it back in but it is now disconnected from the other blades. How do you get this out to repair or repair in place?

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Wing. Sorry your first post is a problem. Are you referring to the swivel vents near your legs on the fairing? If you are, I'
I'm not sure if they snap on or if you have to remove that part of the Tupperware to get to the back. Let me see if I can find some diagrams. Maybe someone else will chime in here shortly..

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
According to the service manual, you have to remove the left front shelter portion of the fairing (which means you have to remove the tank lid compartment, side cover, and left switch panel) to get at the louver from behind. The louver blades are all linked together with the top blade having the finger tab on it (as you know) but I can't see where the linkage is located by looking through the open blades. The manual doesn't say squat about the vent louvers on the fairing, but gives a very detailed how-to about the centre windscreen vent, go figure. Good luck, and yeah, sorry this had to be your first post, but welcome aboard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FIXED: For future reference

I studied and felt around for a while and came up with what I think is the only reasonable solution. I pulled out the four blades, fished out the linking piece of plastic, reattached the blades to the linking piece, and then carefully reinserted the blades as a set on the attached side and tthen individually on the other side. Now they are back in abpnd operating.

My comment : This assembly really should not be so fragile. I was not manhandling them when they came apart in my hand.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Couldn't agree more on that. What really get's me is the lack of mention in the manual; I poured over that for a long time at the office yesterday (slow day for sales ;)). Glad you got your vent sorted though, at least it is doable without dismantling the fairing parts, yeesh.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You already have it fixed but the whole unit pops out, use a small flat head screwdriver and it will come out, then reassemble each flap and reinstall, not a big deal once you have done it once or twice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts