Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to remove the badges from all the body parts on my '84 Interstate so I can completely detail and refurbish them to look like new.

I can find no instructions in the manuals regarding how to successfully remove these. I see some of them appear to be just held in place by a couple of friction type pins.

I welcome any advice on how to do this without damaging the badge or body part.

Thanks!

Harkgold

·
Premium Member
17,134 Posts
If any are held on with automotive trim type double sided taped. try heating a little with an electric heat gun ( careful not to hot) then kind of saw at the tape with Dental Floss. I've removed stuff with this method.
Just and idea.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I took all mine off when I had the panels repainted. They are held on by double side sticky tape (unless a PO glued them on). The pins you see are just locator pins that fit into the holes for placement. To get mine off I used some fishing line and just held it taught and slowly pulled under the parts. Some of the tape will still be on the panel and I used wd-40 to remove the sticky stuff. Be careful and do not break the pins off when doing this. Just take your time and it should come off.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Oh BTW when you go to place them back on be sure to use the double side sticky tape. 3M puts out a good one for this. I got mine at either Home Depot or Lowe's I can't remember which...LOL.

·
Super Moderator
11,870 Posts
Oh BTW when you go to place them back on be sure to use the double side sticky tape. 3M puts out a good one for this. I got mine at either Home Depot or Lowe's I can't remember which...LOL.

3M also puts out one made just for for automotive use that is narrow enough for the Goldwing emblems.

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Banned
3,186 Posts
Nylon fishing line will heat up and break. If you use braided fishing line, and a little goof off on it, it will cut the tape faster. Denatured alcohol will clean the remaining off without any worry about damaging the paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts