Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shuter

21K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  detdrbuzzard 
#1 ·
I'm wondering about the reliability of the old GLI 1100's. Are the 1200's & 1500's more reliable? How about parts availability on the three models I listed?

#2 ·
A lot depends on the care the bike had. I would say your best bet would be a 1500 Gold Wing, more reliable than the other two and probably a lot easier to get parts for,

#3 ·
Although 1100/1200's are dependable, Joe is right about 1500's. Lots more parts available and interchangable between years. The 1500 was made for 13 years and is pretty much free from major problems. The 1000/1100/1200's were only produced a few years each and maint is much harder to perform on them. Now is your really handy with a wrench, have time and have a good shop manual, then they can be a bargin. Good luck and ride safe...

#4 ·
I have put on 5000 miles on my old 82 GL1100 since June ....Not one problem... I'd call that reliable for a 28 year old bike .. But you should be a mechanical person if you own one , Because labor charges at the shop could cost you more than the bike is worth for a lot of jobs . Sites like this show you how to perform these things step by step .. And when you get done , You feel like you really accomplished something

#5 ·
Todd - 5000 miles in less than two months! Sounds like you have been enjoying your Wing.

Joe & Two Wheel - I have been able to do some of the maintenance on previous bikes but they were simple compared to these babies. I've been looking through the owners manual and find everything so complicated, I'm wondering if I'll be able to deal with much of the work?

You make a good case for the 1500's.

#6 ·
YA ... I sold my Honda Hawk 7 years ago .. So I am making up for years of lost riding ..Bought with 53k on it ..Now at 58k ..New tires , Belts ,, And Ugghhh Starter ... That was it .. And it purrs like a new bike ,,, And looks like one too ..Ain't even a scratch on it .... Not to change the subject but I bought an 82 Maxim 400 last week off Craigslist .. Hadn't run since 2006 ... 2 Days later (TONIGHT) ..It's running like a new machine ..All it needed was a battery , Flushed the tank and filter ..And a GOOD carb cleaning ... Lower Jets were PLUGGED in the bowl area ..Thats was a PITA ...But I figured it out .. And it now runs like a dream machine ..This is a project bike for me and my 16 year old son , Now we need to fix a tire ,mirror ,and a brake , and then it should be road ready .. All in all I should have less than 300 bucks into this bike .... Sure is a good feeling to resurrect a old bike from the Junkyard .. And I think a 400 is a perfect bike for a young rider to start with ...That's what I had :)

#8 ·
I like the fact that the 1100 isn't plagued with the 1200 stator problems .. But I did see a beautiful 98 wing for sale this week ..8k ... But it was a loaded model and that Candy Apple Red is sure a head turner ..My 9 year old daughter said " Lets buy this dad, this seat is awesome "" and I agreed with the backrest for myself ... But I think I will ride my 82 gl1100 till it pukes out on me .. Now I have over 6000 miles since the 2nd week of June .. God I sure love riding the Wing :)

#9 ·
Never fear parts for older Wings can be found and while they may not be new they will keep your bike running. Try www.usedgoldwingparts.com for you old Wing part needs.
Personally I wouldn't want to ride an antique motorcycle, I'd rather put it into shows. Oh yes, I am looking for a special older Wing the 1976 Limited with the gold wheels. I almost had one a month ago, someone else knew what it was and got it before me.

#10 ·
I want to thank you all for your input. I'm learning a lot already :)

I picked up the Wing today and took it to a little shop I heard about where the guy specializes in Goldwings. Yeah, I know, I chickened out! These things are just so complicated that I wanted an expert to go over it. He is going to check out the engine, tank and starting/charging system for me. I should know Monday evening whether I have a bike that I can resurrect, or a parts bike. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

#11 ·
81 goldwing single vw carb conversion

I bought one of the single carb conversion kits for my 81 goldwing with 15,000 miles on it original, it runs with it but belows white smoke wich is obviously unburnt fuel, I've tried evrything adjustment wise that I know of except for trying hotter plugs or a different gap.... anyone have advise???? I'm desperate

#12 ·
Hello Hoagieman, welcome to the forum.

If the smoke is indeed white, it's not unburned fuel, that would be black. It sounds more like burned coolant.

#13 ·
There is no water that passes through or around the intake and I have no water in my oil or vice versa in my experience with vehicles in my day at points I've had vehicles that were not burning fuel barely at all which fuel would come out in a white substance rather than black and sometimes a mixture but I've always been able to tell when oil is burning so you may be right and I will have to try to check that out if maybe there is water in my fuel tank

#14 ·
hello hoagieman, welcome to GWOF!! when the head gasket blew on my old 1200 wing it never had coolant in the oil or vice versa

Reactions: budoka
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.