Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: I am an avid motorcyclist and have had many bikes in the sub 600lb range. I am 62 yo, 5' 7"', 155 lb w/gear, good physical condition but have a cranky knee. I'm thinking buying a GW don't know if I can handle the size. My inseam is 31'. I'm thinking ofba used bike. Your thoughts would be appreciated. I do like to flatfoot a bike when I can. Currently, I have a Versys and Triumph Tiger 800 both of which I lowered an inch. Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
what year are you considering?
and welcome by the way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I think you would be more pleased with a Goldwing trike. I believe that a Goldwing two wheeler would be a handful for you based on your size.

I had my Goldwing triked and am really pleased with it. I will be 70 years old this year and am in good physical condition, 6ft3in, 200 pounds.

Don't let your age slow you down!

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
A trike is a good idea.
If you want two wheels you may want a GL1200 or maybe a knee brace and a GL1500.
Just how bad is your knee?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Go to one of the Honda M/C dealers & sit on bikes like the ride you are considering.
The Goldwing is NO PROBLEM to ride but stopping and balance when stopped is the concern to determine due to your knee problem. Your age is not a big problem if your physical condition is good (except the knee) and your feet will reach the ground with one foot flat and the toe on the other close to flat. I am 72 and I have no problem with my 1500 or my 1800 GWs. Good luck but be sure you are in your comfort zone on the bike. Ride safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am also an avid rider, (started at age 8 on an old Bultaco dirtbike, and still going. I have ridden just about everything. I am 52, also have a bad back, bad knees, and arthritis. But I am a bit bigger than you, at 6'1" 240 with a 34" inseam. I currently have a 1200, but it is just a stop gap thing, I plan on getting a 1500 as soon as I find the right one. I have put a few miles on one, and they are comfortable. They actually feel less cumbersome than the 1200 to me, maybe a lower COG? Seat also seems lower. Get one with pegs instead of floorboards. My 1200 came with floorboards, a heel and toe shifter AND a heel and toe brake pedal. First time I'd ever seen one of those, and hopefully the last. Those floorboards sticking way out there interfered with my ability to put my feet solidly on the ground. I finally replaced the floorboards with pegs, and the shifter and brake pedal with stock parts. Wow, what a difference. Bike suddenly felt about 300 pounds lighter, handled a lot better, and shifting was much smoother. Bob

·
Banned
11 Posts
Go for it

I will be 70 also this year Good health and new knees
I have had 5 GoldWings and loved them all. I have made seat mods to
all of them to drop the seat height so I could be flat footed on the ground. Just remember a Wing weight is depending on the year and
what you have on and in it is 800 to 950 + but that means nothing
when you are moving. Get a bike that is an 88 or newer so you have
reverse. Then if you want to get something that is even way more fun go get an ST1100 or ST1300 I have both Wing and an ST and
glad of it...
Ride Safe
Dave Dave's Wing.jpg

Lets Ride .jpg
:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have not ridden an ST, but I have put some miles on an FJR1300 (not mine) and w0ould not be able to handle it for long distance riding. the bars are too low and forward, the pegs are to high and too far toward the rear. Not as bad as a hardcore "crotch rocket" but definitely on the "sport" side. I need a bike that I can set upright on, with no weight on my arms and shoulders, and not have to bend my neck to see where I'm going. Only touring bikes and cruisers seem to have this position. I have had several cruisers, they were comfortable once I put a riders backrest on them. Otherwise the pegs are a bit forward, and you find yourself having to pull on the bars to hold yourself up as having the pegs so far forward causes you to lean back. My Shadow 1100 Spirit was one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden, with a riders backrest.

·
Banned
11 Posts
You are correct the Shadow is a great ride, I went for the ST1100 because of the
way it handles... it feels like a very light bike but has the power of a rocket> I did
have to make mods. to it such as after market handle bars to get them way up and back
the pegs are of stock but I put lowering blocks on them to get them lower. I changed the seat as well. now its just as nice as my wing only a hell of a lot more responsive in the
twisties. I did all this because of my knees I have 2 new ones had them done on
Feb. 9th. 2010
Ride safe
Dave

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome martinsmuffins. Yes, the trial sit-on-it is a good indicator, but ride one if you can. I have a fubar left ankle that's full of arthiritis and both knees are pretty much done thanks to my ice hockey years, but the heft of any of the three Wings I've owned has never been an issue for me, but I'm only 53. The 1500's are very easily controlled and very comfortable. Seat modifications are a better choice than lowering the bike IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts