Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
I was out the other day just looking at bikes and the can am spyder at my local dealer when I came across a 2010 Yellow ABS Goldwing. After talking with the saleman for about 30 mins or so. He told me that I could get the Wing for $22,500 plus taxes which came to $24,854 out the door in Southern Cali. I'm seriously thinking about getting this Wing, but I think I can get a better deal. What do you think? Also he told me I could get the extended warranty for $699. I think this also is too much. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Easy, call Musslemans Honda in Tucson, ask for Steve. They have 2 on the floor and their policy is 10 percent off sticker, no doc fees. You do have T & L. See how they come in. I'll bet they will sell the extend for 600$. Im sorry I dont have the number but google it.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I don't know where in So Cal you are but I got my 08 ( in 09) at Chaparral in San Bernardino, I told them what I would pay Out The Door and after about 15 minutes we had a deal. Times are tough now and you can just about name your price, don't just go by one dealer, check out a few and tell them what kind of a deal you have somewhere else.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
How much off list is the price? I would haggle on the prep and set up fee as well. I refused to pay it and the dealer knocked it off. Also, you can get the warranty from Hal here on the board for about $500 and sometimes less when on sale. You have 3 years to decide. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sunrise Honda in Shawnee Oklahoma has New left over 08' Airbag, ABS models for $19,799.
I bought one last month. Only difference between 08' an 10' is XM radio and TPSM. Other than that it is the exact same bike. Well, and the fact that it's a 2 year old bike when you ride it off the lot but who cares?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Unless I missed something on the website, there are no rebates on 2010 models, just 0.9% finance rates for incentives. Since I'm a Cdn dealer, I don't know much about tax & license fees down there, but 22,500 should be close to dealer invoice, he might make 1000 or 1500 (guessing) which certainly isn't huge margin. As for PDI (set-up) it's not like the old days where there was a half assembled machine inside the crate. Set-up on a GL now runs about two hours max, regardless of model. Due to fierce and close-by competition, none of us in our area can charge for freight & PDI as the other dealers will undercut the price. As mentioned, check the other dealers in your region and if possible go in person. You can't play 'hardball' over the phone (I won't) but if they come in person, I'm not going to let them walk if there's anything reasonable in the deal for the store, especially now that June is almost over. As for your extra warranty, don't be afraid to make a 'reasonable offer' on the price, but if the 699 is for three years (not 2) extra, that isn't bad; full retail is 838 up here. Good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you ALL. I'm going shopping this weekend to some different dealers to see what I can get.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok,
I was out the other day just looking at bikes and the can am spyder at my local dealer when I came across a 2010 Yellow ABS Goldwing. After talking with the saleman for about 30 mins or so. He told me that I could get the Wing for $22,500 plus taxes which came to $24,854 out the door in Southern Cali. I'm seriously thinking about getting this Wing, but I think I can get a better deal. What do you think? Also he told me I could get the extended warranty for $699. I think this also is too much. Any advice?
Directline sells the extended warranty for ~$500. When I bought my Wing I paid about ~900 to my dealer. I went in 2 weeks later (30 days to cancel) and he matched the price on the spot and cut me a check. All I asked to do was get to within 10%. I also think you have 3 years to buy it. as long as it is under the original warranty I think you can buy it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok,
Try looking on e-Bay for prices. I was able to get an ABS here in Denver (2006) for $4.5k less than MSRP, using out of state dealer prices. If they would not have matched the price, I would have made the trip to FL, OH, TN, IA to purchase the bike.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Directline sells the extended warranty for ~$500. When I bought my Wing I paid about ~900 to my dealer. I went in 2 weeks later (30 days to cancel) and he matched the price on the spot and cut me a check. All I asked to do was get to within 10%. I also think you have 3 years to buy it. as long as it is under the original warranty I think you can buy it.
I talked with the dealer today, and they told me they would match the price of the warranty that I found online. Now I just need to get them down to the best price that I have seen over the internet which is $21899 vice $22500.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://www.yamahadiscountprices.com/hondaonroad.htm
Usually has good prices to use to deal w/your local dealer.
Showing 2010 ABS @ $22,099.99
If your dealer is adding fees such as set-up and especially doc fees, tell him those are a deal breaker.
Offer him $499 for the extended warranty or buy it from http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1120&str=4
Thanks,
I called them today, and tried to do everything with a power of attorney because my sister-in-law lives in MS, but they told me Honda doesn't accept POA. But I will used their add to get the price down some more. :D

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Here is the deal I was given at Manassas Honda here in Virginia : I trade in my 1300VTX , they give me $4,500 for it of the list price of a fully loaded '10. My out the door price would have been $22,300. Meanwhile, a Pearl White '08 came up for sale on Craigs List in my area. The wife wanted Pearl White so I jumped on it. In retrospect, Manassas Honda's deal was not bad as I look at the prices quoted here. If Honda had only continued the Pearl White on the '10 model I'd have ABS, TPS and ((( XM ))) radio.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Personally, I don't know why, if one had a choice between 2 identical bikes. 08' Airbag and ABS for $19799 and a 10' NON ABS for around $22000. Why would you choose the 2010 model?

Honda stopped making the Goldwing in 2009. The 2010 models are nothing more than a 2008 model with TPSM and XM radio. Otherwise is is the exact same bike and probably manufactured less than a year apart.
The only down side is once you drive it off the lot, it becomes a 2 year old bike. This would be a problem if it were a car or truck but this is a Goldwing that you plan on owning for a long time. It really doesn't matter. If you pulled up to someone, they are still going to ask you "Hey, what year model is that wing" and unless you tell them, they won't know the difference.

As for me, the difference is in the pocket book. I saved about $7k by buying the 08' instead of the 2010 model. But in reality, had I decided that nothing less than a 2010 will do, I would have wound up buying a non ABS, Non Airbag and probably no navigation. When it comes to buying a current year wing, it's a little hard to swallow the inflated prices for these extras.
But with the 08' , you are getting a top of the line, all the bells and whistles, fully loaded out Goldwing for the price of a base model plain Jane Wing in a 10' model.

This was the demon I was facing when it was time to buy my Wing. I really wanted a 2010 model just because it was the latest and greatest. But thank god I researched it for a month or so first. Because once I saw the bigger picture and had all the facts in front of me, I knew the 2010 purchase would have been the wrong move and would have cost me $7k more for the exact same bike.

Do your homework and make an informed decision. Don't make a "knee jerk" purchase. If your happy with a lower tier wing with no ABS, ect, for in the $22k range, then go for it. But if you want everything including ABS and Airbag for in the $19K range, get the 08' and never look back. There are a ton of 08' models BRAND NEW 0 miles on them just sitting there. I know, I bought one and saw a dozen more sitting in the warehouse.
Check out Sunrise Honda in Shawnee Oklahoma, they have them in every 08' color they came in that year. $19,799 08' Airbag, ABS, Navigation, Premium Audio, Comfort.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well said Buzzy. If I could get an 08 without going there and have them to ship it to Cali, I would buy one in a heart beat, but most dealers will not ship their bikes that are for sale over the internet.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well said Buzzy. If I could get an 08 without going there and have them to ship it to Cali, I would buy one in a heart beat, but most dealers will not ship their bikes that are for sale over the internet.
That's half the fun of buying it! The first LONG ride home is the best. Buy your self a one way ticket and ride that sucker home and you'll still save thousands!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Good point Buzzy, they are after all made for riding right? Easy, it could be part legal stuff on the dealer's part not shipping. Few freight carriers will cover any damage in transit on a non-crated bike, quad whatever. Part of the dealer agreement with Honda (here anyway) is that no product is sold to the end user without being fully PDI'd. It's a liability thing.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Good point Buzzy, they are after all made for riding right? Easy, it could be part legal stuff on the dealer's part not shipping. Few freight carriers will cover any damage in transit on a non-crated bike, quad whatever. Part of the dealer agreement with Honda (here anyway) is that no product is sold to the end user without being fully PDI'd. It's a liability thing.
I tell ya what, I have thought about owning a Goldwing for many years. I have had a few bikes in my day and always chose what I thought was the "Cool" bike to other folks.
Once I got my priorities straight, I realized it was time for the Wing.

It was only 475 miles to go get it but man what an adventure! There was the excitement of going to buy it in the first place. Then there was the impatient part of getting the finance crap done.

Then came the fun part, I get to ride it home! It started off a little scary. I had only gone about 2 miles and it was time to get on the interstate. I had a spot between traffic that I could get in so I twisted the go fast side and i'll be damn, the rear tire broke loose and I felt the rear start to come out from under me! I forgot about the NEW TIRE and the coating that is one them!!! YIKES.
After that "Pucker" moment, we were on our way. About 100 miles or so and I'll be back in Texas. Soon as we crossed the Texas line, the sky's turned black and the wind picked up. I rode the next 4 hours in a 40-50 mph crosswind. The only way to keep from getting blown all over the highway was to kick the Wing up to 80 mph plus! I probably averaged 80 mph the whole way home including fuel stops! I am not kidding either, I rode most of the way a hair over 90 mph with the bike at what seemed like a 30 degree angle into the wind.
I never could out run that storm but I did stay at the leading edge and only hit rain for about 2 miles or so about 45 miles from home.

That my friends was an awesome little trip. The whole experience was great and the people @ Sunrise Honda in Shawnee are by far the best people I ever dealt with!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts