Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thanks for having this forum. Today I was offered a 1982 Aspencade for free including a nice trailer. Problem is that the donor cautioned me that it would take about $2000. To get it running. I'm asking you folks if that is a realistic estimate? Right off the bat it needs tires and brakes, a battery, and carburetor rebuilds. It has been sitting for over 3 years with gas in the tank. The chrome is all peeling back etc. etc. My budget won't be able to stand a $2000. hit. Should I get it? Thanks for any and all advice/opinions.

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
there are more than a few 1100 and 1200 wings in my area that don't need ( seem to need any work for less than $2000

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. You are making a good case for not getting it, but I'm also wondering if it would really take $2000. to get it running and safe considering the items I mentioned. Some of the cosmetic issues could be taken care of later on a funds available basis. Also, even though I have a motorcycle endorsement on my license, it has been over 50 years since I have ridden. I'm pretty strong for my age (77) but I have never ridden a bike this big and heavy. I don't even know if my legs would reach the ground, I'm 5'7" and shrinking as we speak.

At present, I'm leaning against getting it, but some advice considering my questions will help. Thanks, Jim

·
Super Moderator
10,949 Posts
Get the bike and trailer, junk the bike and keep the trailer. Sell the trailer and put the money towards a decent bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cantankerous, that's a good idea. I'm doing local research on what it would bring for salvage or scrap, but I can't identify the trailer. I've done a few image searches on Google and Bing and I can't find one like it. The best I could describe it as a slingshot. It must be halfway decent because it has a nice paint job and decal on the side bragging about it's disk brakes. It's not a drop deck type of slingshot.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Not only will there be a lot of work involved in getting that bike back on the road you might have problems finding parts for that old of a bike. 1200 Gold Wings have been known to have bad stators, so the motor has to be taken out to replace it. If you can't do all the work and have a lot of time on your hands I would pass it up.

·
Administrator
26,012 Posts
The 1100 models are pretty easy to work on if you have the ability yourself. Not so much if you don't so I'd pass on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided not to get it. I wrote a very long explanation twice but when I pushed reply they were deleted saying that the "token" had expired. I'm sorry but I'm just too tired to type it all in again.

Many thanks to you all. Best regards, Jim

·
Super Moderator
9,400 Posts
I decided not to get it. I wrote a very long explanation twice but when I pushed reply they were deleted saying that the "token" had expired. I'm sorry but I'm just too tired to type it all in again.

Many thanks to you all. Best regards, Jim
Wise decision. If you "budget can't stand the hit", then don't. Another time and another bike will come along.. They always do..

·
Registered
679 Posts
Fast Typist -

Hey Robie - Many forums on the internet have a "time out" function. If your entry isn't complete within a few minutes - you can be locked out and all your typing lost. Until you are used to it - this can be frustrating to a new member.

One way to get around the "time out" is to use the forum "PREVIEW POST" function often as you type. This resets the timer -

A Second suggestion to get around the "time out" is to use a separate word processor or basic Note Pad program to type up what you want to say - THEN

"LOG-IN" (User Name - Pass Word) to this forum - locate the topic you want to respond to. SELECT "REPLY" - NOW "COPY" your text from the word processor and PASTE everything onto your now opened forum response area.

Using a word processor well before dealing with a forum's "log-in timer" is normal procedure now-a-days. I guess they are looking for a short comment or very fast typist... :)

Good Luck Michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.