Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

As you can note from my nic I ride a Hayabusa, have done so almost 10 yrs with no intentions in giving it up.

However, I have always wanted a GL1500 SE White when I was riding ST1100's of which I had 3 and served me very well before the busa came in.

There is a GL1500 SE White available, I wont say where but not in the USA. So pricing isnt a consideration for comparison or worth. This particular bike was bought in '97 and kept by a collector. Ermm believe it or not it has but 250 odd miles on it. Yup not even run in yet. The collector from what I understand didnt quite like riding it much so stood all those years it did. However I was told he consistently changed the oil based on time and not miles. This has yet to be verified.

So my question to you guys who know the goldwing alot better then I, should I be careful, should I beware? Is it asking for trouble buying a bike never worked but stood static most of its life. I was told the fuel tank under the seat was replaced for some little rust in the tank. I am told fork seals and all fluids were changed. I am told she rides "tight" like a new bike, which for all intents and purposes it sorta is.

So what do you reckon?

Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... Busha ... From What You Have Said By No Means Would I Be Affraid Of Buying That Bike ... Certinly Dump The Old Fuel And Replace With New ... There Will Probably Be Some Creeks And Groans But Basicaly It Still Needs To Be Broke In ... It Probably Has A Solid 200-k Left In It ... I Would Consider Changing Tires They Have A Tendonsey To Deteriate After Time ... Happy Trails ...

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
You ask for thoughts, so here are mine.

A bike won't go bad from just sitting, but what does happen is the metal parts can pit or be affected by corrosion depending how it was stored. The gaskets can dry out from lack of lubrication and seals and hoses can be affected by age. The gas can turn to almost like a varnish and clog the carbs. The tires can dry and crack from standing or develop flat spots from sitting. Coolant should be flushed from the system and the radiator checked for pinhole size leaks.

I guess the bottom line is there are a lot of items that can be affected by age and lack of use, but most major parts (engine and transmission) should be fine. The metal parts won't be worn out but will need to have new fluid put into them. A lot depends on how the bike was stored and if it was run periodically to move fluids through the system.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you. Ride safe and enjoy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts