Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I'm new to the forum and a prospective Goldwing owner.

I have a line on a '79 GL 1000 with 18 000 miles. It runs, but needs a tune-up. It has a Vetter fairing, trunk, and saddle bags. The plastics and chrome are all there and in good shape.

On the down side, it needs tires and the rotors need to be machined. The windshield needs to be replaced and all the Vetter equipment needs to be painted - badly faded. The seat has a rip right where the driver sits. The exhaust is not stock and not really a bike exhaust. The owner painted some thrush mufflers and stuck them onto what was left of the pipes. LOUD.

He was asking $1200 and I got him down to $800. Government safety will require new tires and probably machining the rotors at minimum. The exhaust looks and sounds embarassing.

Should I go for it?

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
For $800.00 I'd chance it.
Check the forum where the members are parting out bikes for what you need.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. If your handy with a wrench it sounds like you could have a fun and rewarding project on your hands. Good luck and let us know how you make out. And post before and after pics if you buy...

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello bluec10, welcome to GWOF. a tune up is no big deal nither are tires. to quiet the bike you colud get some used harley road king mufflers for about $50 in my area and adapt them to the wing. seat covers can be found on ebay. as for the rotors i would look for a good set of used rotors there just isn't much to machine on bike rotors

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't know what your financial situation is, but for $800, I'd also say go for it -- if you are decent with a wrench. If not, you may end up spending a fair bit on getting the bike back up to full health.

Low miles on that bike. If it were buying it, I'd also change all fluids. Also, polish up the fork legs with super fine sandpaper and oil - probably a little pitting on them by now.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you can do the work-go for it.
However-rotors are not "machined" on bikes-they are replaced!
There's probably a lot of "work" needed under the plastic!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought It

Well...I bought it.

I figured for the $800 I could chance it. I'm handy enough with a wrench that most work on the bike won't cost me labor.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Congrats and hope you get her on the road soon... Ride safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello fellow Wingers!!!
I am enjoying my 08 gold wing which I have had for about a month now. The only concern I have is a grinding noise which feels like a slight viberation once the bike is in motion. I am not sure if it has any thing to do with the after market accessories. I use a fully synthetic oil and was hoping for a much smoother and quiter ride. Would appreciate any feed back.
Can some one recommend a synthetic oil for the gear have not been very successful in finding any. Also am looking for a good all weather heavy duty cover for the bike as I do not have a garage any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
bluec10, change the timing belts also

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.