Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get parts for this bike, it needs some. All plastic is there. Valve covers chrome is flaking off. Radio has been replaced with auto CD player. It runs. Needs tires. has new battery. Has carb problems in that it back fires. Seller wants $2500 but will probably settle for $2200. Has 48,000 Miles on clock. I am a restorer and have completed an 1982 Xj1100J Maxim Yamaha and a CB450SC Nighthawk. Both run great. I am selling the 450 so I can get a cruiser.
Is this a good buy:confused:
Should I get the bike?:rolleyes:
Absolutely any help will be greatly appreciated.
Dell82:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't know if it's worth all that...
I paid $2600 for my '81 Interstate(50,000mile) that needed nothing but a front tire. Runs great, rides great, looks great.
Parts might be harder to find than for later models, but they are out there. I see stuff on e-bay all the time for the older model Wings. Bought some chrome stuff for mine there myself.:)
Might be a better deal out there somewhere, but....if ya like tinkerin/restoring, it might be just what you're looking for.;)

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
hello and welcome to goldwing owners forum dell82. that my friend i would have to say is not a good deal even at $2200. not only will you need to do something about the carbs and tires but ask when the timing belts were changed. i paid $2500 for my '84 aspencade last year. the stator ( ask about it too ) had been changed as well as timing belts. it just needed tires

·
Registered
9 Posts
I paid $3500 for a pristine 82' Interstate with 33,000 on the clock. I looked at several bikes in the $2000 range. Aside from mileage, and various cosmetic differences the bikes all ran well. I would say anything not running is in the $1000 to $1500 range. Even then beware!!

As to parts, you can get most anything from BikeBandit. I think they are in California but they have given me very good service and are competitive in price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ALL for the advice.:D:D
I will pass on this one and keep looking for my NEW long distance ride.:)
My current sport cruiser, 1982 XJ1100J Maxim restored, is very good for short hauls less than 400 miles but I want to go further, in comfort.:D
Dell82

·
Registered
9 Posts
Xs 1100

I love those old Yamahammers. I rode an 81' XS Eleven Special for 6 years. Put a lot of miles on it. Enjoy your Maxim, when it's gone you'll miss it!

Buzz

·
Registered
5 Posts
82 Interstate

I happen to be selling my 82 here in Texas with 26K showing on the clock. It too has an aftermarket CD with new speakers too. It has excellent tires and everything works. I'm selling her to pay for my new 1500. If you are interested I'll let her go for only $2750 I also have pics to send if interested Call if ya wanna. (254)479-0018...John:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Please don't guage your purchase by mine....

I bought a really nice 86 Aspencade with 46K miles on the ticker. When I called the guy it was advertised as $2000 on Craigslist in Myrtle Beach area. We chatted for a while and he told me he had not been able to ride it for over 5 years due to his ailing health. The bike had been setting in his garage and now would barely run and he wondered my mechanical ability as he didn't want to sell it to someome who didn't know what they were buying. He blurted out at 1 point "oh heck if you come bring me $1000 you can have it" I told him I would be there Sat morning with my trailer to pick it up. (this was Thursday night when I called him. I came by Sat as promised, the bike was wearing it's beautiful 2 tone factory paint dusty rose and burgandy I looked the ike over and he told me had bought a new battery and had it worked on last year by the local honda dealership and spent over $600 in repairs there (which included a brand new gel performance battery by Nationwide) We tried to take it and load it on the trailer but the brakes were dragging bad and it dug a hole in his pea gravel driveway pretty easiy due to its weight and the brakes. He could barely stand up and walk in his current health condition which was the main reason for selling the bike. I had brought a battery and jumper cables and fired it up which it was firing on about 2 cylinders. I managed to get it up on the trailer and was hoping the missing cylinder was bad fuel and clogged carbs. I took out the carbs, cleaned them and put rebuild kits off ebay in them,put in new fuel and filters, changed the oil and filters. It's running like a swiss watch now and has me hooked, I'm buying parts for it left and right ( the wife hasn't figured out yet what I'm spending on it thank gawd). But I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm going to change the fork oil seals next which look a bit tricky due to the trac system and the timing belts and put on a chrome timing cover and seals while I'm in there. Hope all this helps in your decision. Oldsdroptop :cool:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought a really nice 86 Aspencade with 46K miles on the ticker. When I called the guy it was advertised as $2000 on Craigslist in Myrtle Beach area. We chatted for a while and he told me he had not been able to ride it for over 5 years due to his ailing health. The bike had been setting in his garage and now would barely run and he wondered my mechanical ability as he didn't want to sell it to someome who didn't know what they were buying. He blurted out at 1 point "oh heck if you come bring me $1000 you can have it" I told him I would be there Sat morning with my trailer to pick it up. (this was Thursday night when I called him. I came by Sat as promised, the bike was wearing it's beautiful 2 tone factory paint dusty rose and burgandy I looked the ike over and he told me had bought a new battery and had it worked on last year by the local honda dealership and spent over $600 in repairs there (which included a brand new gel performance battery by Nationwide) We tried to take it and load it on the trailer but the brakes were dragging bad and it dug a hole in his pea gravel driveway pretty easiy due to its weight and the brakes. He could barely stand up and walk in his current health condition which was the main reason for selling the bike. I had brought a battery and jumper cables and fired it up which it was firing on about 2 cylinders. I managed to get it up on the trailer and was hoping the missing cylinder was bad fuel and clogged carbs. I took out the carbs, cleaned them and put rebuild kits off ebay in them,put in new fuel and filters, changed the oil and filters. It's running like a swiss watch now and has me hooked, I'm buying parts for it left and right ( the wife hasn't figured out yet what I'm spending on it thank gawd). But I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm going to change the fork oil seals next which look a bit tricky due to the trac system and the timing belts and put on a chrome timing cover and seals while I'm in there. Hope all this helps in your decision. Oldsdroptop :cool:
I think I know this bike, Was the owner a retired Marion County Sheriff? I live in that area, If you are close maybe we could get out and take a cruise. I had inquired about the bike and he sent his son to get another battery for the bike but he called me back and said it started but it had other issues. I backed out because I already owned an 84 and was going to buy this one. do a few repairs and flip it. Had he got the price down to 1000 dollars I would have been all over it (if it's the same bike) This one had quite a few accesories. This was a few moths back.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Can I get parts for this bike, it needs some. All plastic is there. Valve covers chrome is flaking off. Radio has been replaced with auto CD player. It runs. Needs tires. has new battery. Has carb problems in that it back fires. Seller wants $2500 but will probably settle for $2200. Has 48,000 Miles on clock. I am a restorer and have completed an 1982 Xj1100J Maxim Yamaha and a CB450SC Nighthawk. Both run great. I am selling the 450 so I can get a cruiser.
Is this a good buy:confused:
Should I get the bike?:rolleyes:
Absolutely any help will be greatly appreciated.
Dell82:D
Keep your eye out as you can do a lot better. You can pick up a nice 84-85 for around 3000. There is an 82 Interstate in my area they owner has been trying to sell for 2300 and nobody has bit. I understand it's a nice bike although Ive never seen this one in person.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your right on the mark there Heavy...

Yes he was a sheriff for the county there Heavy...has a lot of accessories on it lower saddlebag light kit floor boards...heel-toe shifter, it was a bit of risk to start out with but it has paid off now that I'm getting all the small stuff taken care of....lots of lil electrical issues that are time consuming. I may take you up on that offer to ride sometime. Its always great to meet a fellow south carolinian. By the way I have a nice 71 Monte Carlo wutha 1966 327 thats a real hoss. But my true loves will always be my W-30 Convertible and my SX convertible. Something about an Olds Big Block with a view and a soft rumble.ahhhhhh good times....lol....nice to meet ya Heavy.....Oldsdroptop ...:cool:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 71 Chevelle that was an original 307 powered "HeavyChevy" car. I cloned it into a SS454 but is sporting a 750hp 540 Merlin Big Block. I bought it in 1995 and it's one of those things that will never be finished. lol That bike looked good in the craiglist photos, I was just a few minutes from pulling the trigger on that bike. The guys son was trying to get it right before I made the ride out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts