Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had a very close call. Driver pulled out from a side street. I was close enough to see the driver look right through me as he rolled through the stop sign and out in front of me. Luckily there was a wide paved left shoulder so I had some place to go. I didn't realize how badly it shook me until a week later when I was having breakfast with some co-workers and they asked me why I hadn't been riding. I usually ride every day, whether permitting, but that week I hadn't felt like riding. They're question must have triggered something because that close call came vividly back into my head. It was then that I knew my psyche had been affected. I also new that I had to get back on. I've been riding daily ever since.

I have been riding for 40 years and have had numerous scares, even been down once, but this was the first time that I have been affected enough to have not wanted to ride. Sure hope it's not a sign of old age. :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quite understandable. I had the same thing happen to me but it was a classmate of mine and he didn't live to tell about it. I had nightmares for a while seeing his face as I did right before he died. This was a couple of years ago and to this day I can still see him when I go through that intersection. A young woman pulled left in front of him and I was right behind him. She almost got us both. Time heals everything along with prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Geez! I'm sorry to hear what you and your friend went through. Awful.

I, too, don't ride as hard as I used to. Like to think it's some wisdom. Especially nowadays, with cell phones, texting (legal or not), etc., I don't "ride it like I stole it"; I ride like everybody else is TRYING to kill me! We're just being sober about the facts, and after all the years (77 between the two of us, Peabody) we're still here and riding.

Bottom line: I'd rather be riding than recuperating!

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
I've always said, ride like your invisible... Expect the unexpected. Folks just don't pay attention to us on 2 wheels.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Have a friend that was in his work truck....driver pulled out in front of him (didnt see him) and won't ride the bike anymore....says if they didn't see the truck...how are they gonna see the bike. We all should understand the risk...Recently I just missed being hit by an golf ball hit astray. That tells me it can happen to anyone at anytime....Just be sure your insurance paid up.

·
Administrator
28,998 Posts
Hope you can beat the demons back on this.

G

·
There are 1000 ways to die. Just that we live another day is a miracle.(TV) On the end will get us all. Mean time have fun.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
"All the others out there are crazy and trying to kill you" John "Smitty" Smith

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
All we can do is to ride as safe as we can.
Be well and Ride Safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts