Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since the temps were pushing 50 yesterday i pulled the bike out and dusted off the windshield...

made sure the battery was full up, turned on the key to let the fuel pump start pumping fuel (duh) and cranked it over...

i rode up and down the street a couple of times and started seeing some steam coming from the bodywork...

pulled it back into the driveway and saw the pretty green antifreeze dripping from the belly pan....

bummer...

·
Premium Member
16,686 Posts
Is the drip toward the from of the engine. Might want to see if it's come out of the weep hole by the water pump.That probably the easiest to fix, not the cheapest but not hard to replace.

Sometimes it's just the hose clamps just need tightening.

Hope you can solve it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Isn't it amazing how that works. Many areas have a short time when the bikes are parked, where we coulc fix any problems that we know about before the next riding season. We almost always find the problems when we are trying to get into the new riding season.

Unfortunately, all that great looking bodywork seems to get in the way when it comes time to do any work on these things.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Isn't it amazing how that works. Many areas have a short time when the bikes are parked, where we coulc fix any problems that we know about before the next riding season. We almost always find the problems when we are trying to get into the new riding season.

Unfortunately, all that great looking bodywork seems to get in the way when it comes time to do any work on these things.

Aaron
Ain't it though! For those of who do most/all work on our Wings ourselves, they are our "patients" and as IBALEE and others here with medical backgrounds can confirm, preventative care is great but patients also "present" symptoms that can only be seen under a stress test, under use. Seems the older the patient, the truer it is.:cannon:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
because i dont have the space or the time to tear into bikes, i have to support the local Honda house...

i dropped the bike off and after all of the looking and poking and probing, the radiator cap seal has swelled and bulged out some. the guy said it happens after a while with age and i though, dont we ALL swell and bulge out some with age...

they inspected the water pump and coolant hoses and radiator and they were ALL clean with no evidence of any leaks...

they also did a little inspection and found that ive got some weeping from the shift lever seal. the guy said that this is something inherent with the 1500s and that he could replace it (at substantial cost due to labor) but that it very well could start weeping again in very short time...

this inspection is where i found that im probably about due for some tires...

just thought id update...

·
Premium Member
16,686 Posts
I've had some luck in stopping the leak around the shifting rod.
Remove the shift lever, and using a piece wood dowel and use a small hammer re-seat the seal by tapping around the outer edge. Work twice for me.

·
Administrator
15,418 Posts
I'm sure glad to hear that it was an easy fix. Hope you are back on the road and in the wind.

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
I've had some luck in stopping the leak around the shifting rod.
Remove the shift lever, and using a piece wood dowel and use a small hammer re-seat the seal by tapping around the outer edge. Work twice for me.
A wise man that Ron Robertson.:super:

·
Registered
360 Posts
A friend & I replaced the shifter shaft seal on my '88 1500, it's not difficult, but, it is a bit involved. The left exhaust needs to come off...so you need new exhaust seals..*NOTE* the Honda manual calls out only 7 ft. lbs of torque on the nuts, it's very easy to "overdo the torque" also if the exhaust has been off at some point check up in the exhaust port for older seals, I actually found two in one port. The copper gaskets are very soft and can be compressed one on another easily, so make sure the port is clean. The shifter seal as I recall was only $8, but the labor is what will get you if it goes to a shop.:knockknock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts