Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)Now you can, I purchased the new lowering kit for my GL1800 and have now a totaly new bike from stopping to riding it's great go to lower wing products and see the new swing arm the offer

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm interested in learning more about the lowering kit. I am a Harley guy but have always been interested in the GoldWing. The problem is that I too am vertically challenged and the Wing is just too high for me to get both feet on the ground.

So what I would like to know is this. Is the lowering kit a Honda option or an aftermark item? How much can the bike be lowered and what is the resulting seat height?

I had to have my Road Glide lowered to about a 26-27 inch seat height in order to be comfortable with it. Can the Wing be lowered to that level? If so, I might be changing my handle to GoldWing48!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Solutions

I'm in the same situation. Legs are not long enough. I'm 5'5" with 27" inseam. Here's my solutions:

Lower bike:
Rear - Lowering bracket (1.0") from http://lowerwingproducts.com/
Front - still working on this (would like to lower by 0.75")

Modify Seat:
Will send seat to www.meancitycycles.com and have them remove ~ 1.25" of foam, shape the side and move my position closer to the handlebars by 1/5". People who uses them seem very happy.

Thicker sole boots:
I finally found a boot maker that has boots with 1.5" soles and 2.0" heels (by the way I'm male and the boots are for males). The company is from england and is called Gringers. Here's a link to the boots -http://www.heelandsoleshoes.com/browser/70/product/MB98FF9C91103747017-9415/items.html

They are only $150 plus shipping (you can by online direct)

With the above mods, I will be able to have both feet flat footed. Currently, my toes touch the ground with my heels about 2.5 - 3.0" off the ground.

Does any body know where to get shorter front springs? I have emailed progressive suspension and Race Tech to see if they have something. No reply yet. Let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply, GL1800 Benson. We share very similar dimensions. It appears someone of our size has to be very determined to ride a Wing to make it work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm interested in learning more about the lowering kit. I am a Harley guy but have always been interested in the GoldWing. The problem is that I too am vertically challenged and the Wing is just too high for me to get both feet on the ground.

So what I would like to know is this. Is the lowering kit a Honda option or an aftermark item? How much can the bike be lowered and what is the resulting seat height?

I had to have my Road Glide lowered to about a 26-27 inch seat height in order to be comfortable with it. Can the Wing be lowered to that level? If so, I might be changing my handle to GoldWing48!
I'm a HD guy too, just for the reason of seat height. I got a FLHX Street Glide because of the low seat height. I came from a VTX and had drooled over the Wings for years. We are 2 up most of the time and I just didn't feel comfortable with the height. My concern with lowering a bike is the loss of suspension travel that usually occurs. I had Allen at Mean City Cycles do my VTX seats, and they were pretty comfy. I am a ways from having enough equity in my HD to trade so I will ride that for a while, but if there are avenues to lower the Wing without loosing travel I may look at that in the next year or so. I wish I would have done more research before I pulled the trigger on the Glide.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
There is also a company in the States. Tallmenshoes.com. I grew by 4 inches.

·
Registered
42 Posts
RoadGlider48 & TRazzo,
I am 5'-6" and had this problem also.
My brother-in-Law told me to keep the air pressure in the shocks to 5# & then I went to Aligator Bob's and had my seat lowered & narrowed and a ProPad installed & I can ride all day long without a sore butt.
Next, when you stop for any reason you should practice that the right foot is on the brake & the left foot is the one that is on the ground with a little lean. Once you practice this you will find riding away from your stops much smoother and professional looking.
One more this is that it wouldn't hurt you to find a Gold Wing chapter in your area and check them out. Get on the Internet and start reading on Gold Wing Road Riders Association (Also known as GWRRA) they are at www.gwrra.org . You will find the most interesting and fun lovin' people around that don't have attitude problems or clicks. When you need help on the road there is a Goldbook that you can call any of the members in the U.S.A. & even other countries to get you back on the road or somewhere safe.
Ya gotta try it! Yes, they will eventually try to convince you to get a GoldWing but I know of some that ride Harleys also. You see if you are a biker & love the outdoors, the wind, the freedom of being on a bike it doesn't make a difference what you ride because your one of the family!
Dennis J. Aitken #319806
Proud member of GWRRA
[email protected]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome to the short legged mens club. I too am only 5'5" with a 29" inseam. I had the lowering kit put on my new 08 Wing and they slid the front tubes about 3/4" up in the top which put the bike a bit over 1 1/2" lower it isn't enough to be real comfortable, but because the Wing is so easy balanced, it works pretty good. The only problem I have is that I am looking to see if there is somebody that makes a shorter Kick Stand. I almost dropped the bike the other day because there is not much lean on the bike it us very easly tipped over to the right. If anybody knows about a shorter Kick Stand please let me know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You don't need a shorter kick stand. You should have been sent the instructions for a simple modification on your stand.
I designed and made the lowering brackets for the 1800s.
( www.lowerwingproducts.com ) Call me and I will get you what you need !!
The couple of companies that handle the bracket should have sent you the simple instructions for the side stand. (Tom--330 289-6893 Eastern Standard time, till 10:00 )
PS The center-stand should be changed also for more ground clearance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome to the short legged mens club. I too am only 5'5" with a 29" inseam. I had the lowering kit put on my new 08 Wing and they slid the front tubes about 3/4" up in the top which put the bike a bit over 1 1/2" lower it isn't enough to be real comfortable, but because the Wing is so easy balanced, it works pretty good. The only problem I have is that I am looking to see if there is somebody that makes a shorter Kick Stand. I almost dropped the bike the other day because there is not much lean on the bike it us very easly tipped over to the right. If anybody knows about a shorter Kick Stand please let me know.
There is a tapered "side stand shim" that is available now that goes under the base of your kick stand. Call Lowerwingproducts to get it.
It is a very simple fix !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts