Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to get out of my store yesterday to see 2 Honda dealers. Dlr 1 tells me that the 0% financing ended in Sept. (rats!) They now have (through Dec) .99% for 36 months, and up from there, all attractive rates. They also have $1000.00 in Honda accessories and and extra year warranty (up to 4 years now) thru Oct. I really liked Dlr 1. He spent some time with me and he was very friendly. Dlr 2 was more interested in listening to the Yamaha auction to give me much time of day, even after I told him that I am not kicking tires, but, rather, I WILL buy within 6 months, perhaps today. Hmm. As a retail/wholesale store, I never know the cash level of my customer, so I treat everyone like he could buy and sell me! I guess some guys don't get it. Guess where I won't buy? Understand that is was raining cats and dogs and I was the only customer in both places!

Dlr 1 also had a nicely appointed '03 1800, very good price, but it had girly pictures painted on both saddle bags and on either side of what would be the gas tank on a conventional bike. Having been raised in an auto body shop, I suspect those pictures will only come off when stripped to bare and repainted. I think this is called a conundrum. <g>

So, do I bite the bullet and go new or do I keep looking....There is alot to be said for factory installed GPS, ABS, heated seats and bars! But, will I ride enough to justify new? Not having ridden an 1800, perhaps going used and learning a few things as a step-up is the best way to go?

Randy

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Much of what you are asking is dependent on your $$$ situation. If you can affort it, why not go for a new one, especially if you are going to finance and the rates are so attractive right now. You could also wait until late Winter when dealers will be trying to get rid of their stock and may come down in price. I personally would not buy a bike that has paintings on it unless they really suited my taste.

If you want a used bike now is a good time since guys are willing to part with their bikes for Winter with hopes of getting a new one in the Spring. If buying used I would look for a 2005 or later. Those seem to not be plagued with early production problems. Also, you may find one that has a year or two left on an extended warranty.

Whichever way you go be sure to shop around for a deal. You may find that the best deal is in another state.

Good luck on your quest for the perfect wing.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
It's a bit of the roll the dice Partzguy, there is no crystal ball. I mentioned a couple days ago that there are "lots" of 2010 production units in the system uphere, so there's 10 times more Stateside. Our reps said the incentives will be heavy for the 2011 selling season, they don't want a backlog of 2010 stock when the 2012's hit the floor. Used is almost always a good way to get a great bike, but you have to search carefully to find that one that 'speaks to you'. My buddy Crunch did just that this Sept and ended up with a great buy on a 1500 (I know you're looking at 1800's but the same thing applies).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dollars aren't such an issue. What really bugs me is taking the hit on depreciation. I have never bought a new sled for that reason, especially when I can buy one that is like new, only a year or two old, and save thousands.

Thne paintings on the 03 woudl have to go before I ever ride it on my manhood could come into question. :-[)

You mention 05 as an unplagued year. Where do I find out about the plaguings? Someone posted a website to look for recalls, and I see no issues there.

As to getting one from another state, I have no problem with that. I have e-looked in New England, Ohio, and NC. (I'm in PA) I've got an airplane which will cut the trip short, but there are still expenses involved that need to be considered before going too far. The cost of the bike would need to be low enough to cover those costs as well as the shear hastle of it.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
The early 1800's had the frame recall and the heating issues, but after that in '05, clean sailing. Slight tupperware changes from '06 and newer, and the little equipment updates yearly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something else that blew my mind is the cost of accessories. A CB radio for nearly $700.00/ A CD player for $1K? As an airplane owner, I understand about things that are very overpriced, but for a bike? I think the term GOLD Wing has taken on a new meaning! Now, to have the kids teach me how to use a $59.00 MP3 player..... :-[)

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Unless you ride with a group and they have CB's it doesn't really pay to have one on the bike. CD players on the Wing seem to be less of an issue with the advent of iPods and MP3 players. Much more relieable and a lot less space.

As far as going out of state for a Wing. In my case I used the price I got from an out-of-state dealer to get an in-state dealer to match the price. Saved myself about $4k over what the locals wanted for my 09. So shop around and you will find what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I 100% agree with Two Wheel about the CD Player. If it is an additional option, opt out. You will want a good helmet headset to enjoy the music. A nice headset and an plug and play Digital Music Player/ Changer and you will still have a few hundred dollars left over. If you haven't already, check out the J&M Music Players on the page :http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_list/gl1800/227_goldwing_CB_CD_Audio/des/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Buy her used...

I bought my 08 just a bit over a year ago, with 900 miles on it. No taxes to be paid. It was fully $6,500 less than what the original owner paid.

It was the base model, but with some accessories. Came with extended Honda warranty, but the dealer specific maintenance agreement was of little use. Had to drive it across the country to get it home, but part of the fun.

My android phone or ipod takes care of music fine. Buying used just makes sense. Would have liked ABS, but the linked brakes work very well.

Hunting for the *just right* used bike is a bit of fun. The Wing is worth the wait. I looked for a year for the right one. It is great letting the other fellow pay for instant depreciation.

And, you can *always* pop down to the dealer, if the wait proves too much!

Dart

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you're paying cash, go used or get a new 08 or 09. The dealers have some great deals on their 08 and 09's. If not paying cash for the bike, you can't beat the interest rate on a new 2010. That was my major decision when I got my new 2010 in June for .99% for 36 mos. Yes, I could have got a used one for a lot less, but I was going to pay 7.5% interest rate for the loan on a used bike.

Try Cycle Traders also, they have some great deals on some used bikes, but I like the new bike so I know what has and has not been done to the bike. It's just a peace of mine for me. Plus I will only keep the bike for about 4 to 5 years so I can get some of my money back to put down on a new one. I think the dealer will give you a better deal on a 4 to 5 year old bike vice a 10 to 12 year old bike. Just my two cents.

Also search the internet for the best price for a new one, and most dealers will match what you could get for a bike in another state...at least the shop where I got my bike did. If not, I was willing to fly 500 to 600 miles and ride the bike back for the best deal.

Times are hard now. Offer the dealer a fair price and it should be a win-win situation for the both of you.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Dlr 1 tells me that the 0% financing ended in Sept. (rats!) They now have (through Dec) .99% for 36 months
Are you guys kidding me, man you have it so good there. We get plugged minimum 9% and more here :mad:

I for one would go the new bike if i had the money, and as far as depreciation goes, you will never buy anything new if you always think that.

Go for it you know you want it , heck man life is too short

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shopping is now done. I was able to get the 03 with the girly unicorns for 1/3 the cost of a new bike....from a dealer! Not that I don't want the new bike! I sticking to the idea that I am "in transition". We'll see what the '03 does for me. It at least gets me in the 21st century compared to the '78 I am riding! (that is NOT a typo!) The '03 has lots of chrome assy's, plus I have enough cash left over to do some more.

The price is good enough that I can repaint the entire bike and still come out ahead. I've already got an app't at my bro's body shop. My daughter's (serious) boyfriend is also a professional auto painter, having won a state contest, and coming in #12 in a nat'l contest while in school. I think I can make it look presentable to any living human and still flip if for what I am paying for it, should I decide to go new next year.

Chopin: The link for the F and M is just what I was looking for! Mucho gracious! My helmet is headset ready. The bike has the built-in stuff, so all I need is a headset and a plug. Does anyone know the exact Honda compatible components? I want top-of-the-line sound. I'm tired of singing to myself!
Randy

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Sounds like you are a happy camper. Repainting the bike is a great project for the long winters in Pa. Go ride and paint later. Ride safe..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Congrats on your 03 GW. The great thing about buying a wing is getting it and riding the heck out of it. It's a beautiful bike and a blast to ride. Enjoy the bike first and paint it later.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How in the H E double hockey sticks does one figure out how to create a new post/subject line on this forum? I fight with it every time! What is the secret? (other than the fact that I am gadget-challenged!)
Randy

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Randy in whatever forum you want to post in at the top left above the other topics you will see a button that says NEW THREAD. just click on that & you're off and running.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I will never buy new again and the money isn't really the issue. Unlike cars there are a certain number of men who buy these bikes and after realize they are too much for them. They ride them to the ice cream store and home. They have the money top add some shiney stuff and like a boat never seems to get used after the first year or two. But for some please keep buying new for my next used bike should be around 2013 or so so keep buying new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts