Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i removed the saddlebags on my 1500 i discovered it had one air shock and one with a spring on it. This aint normal is it and if not what is the best shocks to replace them with air or some other type?

also if I disconnect the battery cable(ground) can I weld on my frame?:

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
That's a normal shock set up for the GL1500. I replaced the OEM with Progressive 416 air shocks.
You may want to remove the ECM.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Like trike lady said that is a normal shock setup for a 1500. Some people have changed to the progressive 416 air shocks but I for one don't think it is necessary unless you have one of the OEM shocks going bad and you want to replace it.

The ECM is located on the right side of the wing under the shelter where your right knee would be. It is just to the right of the fuel filler cap on the frame. It has one wire harness with alot of wires coming from it and you would need to unplug the wire connector before doing any welding. You have to remove the top radio shelter and the right side plastic to get to it.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
What I have begging for answer is why do you need to weld the frame? Was the bike in a collision, and if so, are you qualified to do a frame repair of this nature? I'm all for peeps doing their own thing, but there's some serious safety issues with a frame repair.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well lets see,no it has not been in a collision. yes I am very well qualified to weld on this frame and any other type of metal. I am building a trike kit for my goldwing and I want to weld some brackets to stabilize same. I sorta over build everything that I do!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
I have the 416's on my Wing and they are a big improvement over the OEM from 1993.
I run the setting at 46 psi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts