Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a question about rear shock air pressure on a GL-1100. My wife and I ride together all the time and the road is pretty rough. Due to those conditions is it normal to have to re-pressureize the rear shocks on a bi-weekly basis; sometimes more often than that. I like to keep the pressure around the max (57psi). Around 40psi it rides too low with the both of us on the bike and we will scrape the rear kickstand when making sharp turns. There are a lot of windy roads where I live too. Anyway, I'm thinking it's time to replace the rear shocks or is this normal due to poor road conditions?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
make sure the valve is good or have the core replaced just like you would do with a tire

·
Registered
217 Posts
On the GL1100 (at least the intersate version) you also have adjustable rear springs...I had to adjust my all the way with the air shocks at the max for me and the misses...(she only weighs 120lbs)..Sorry don't remember how to adjust, it has been 20 year since I did that ...and I upgraded the bike this year thus don't have it any more for refference...

Good Luck...

Safe Ride...

·
Registered
123 Posts
On the GL1100 (at least the intersate version) you also have adjustable rear springs...I had to adjust my all the way with the air shocks at the max for me and the misses...(she only weighs 120lbs)..Sorry don't remember how to adjust, it has been 20 year since I did that ...and I upgraded the bike this year thus don't have it any more for refference...

Good Luck...

Safe Ride...
It may be as simple as turning the ring at the base of the shock - that's how the rear springs on my '84 Magna adjusted

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
make sure the valve is good or have the core replaced just like you would do with a tire
Thanks for the reply, I'll have to pick up the tool to get that out and replaced. It's a drag paying 50 cents all the time for just a few seconds of air at the gas station.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Good Luck...

Safe Ride...
Thanks for the reply, but dude, my wife and I are displacing almost 400lb together and riding on city streets and freeways; you know how rough that can be. I don't have the interstate version so there are no springs, just the air shock. It appears that a good course of action would be to replace the air core first and see if that helps like detdrbuzzard suggests.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I'll have to pick up the tool to get that out and replaced. It's a drag paying 50 cents all the time for just a few seconds of air at the gas station.
don't use a high pressure pump to fill the shocks or forks, its very easy to blow the seals. use a hand pump. you may want to rebuild the shocks using progressive springs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts