Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always use the clutch to shift but I often hear riders that shift without using the clutch. I was in the Honda shop today in Shreveport and had someone ask me if I used the clutch. He said he up shifted without the clutch. Just wondering what some of you guys think about this. Thanks. Robert

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Can of worms coming up...

Let me be stupid here and be the devils advocate and ask a question. Why does Honda install a clutch on their Goldwing as standard equipment? As far as I know, it is not an "add on" option. So I'm having a hard time understanding why someone would ignore it or choose not to use it.

There are automatic shifters made for the Goldwing which are sometimes used by folks with a physical handicap. I have also heard of some riders who shift without the clutch, and there may be some on the board, but what is the advantage of doing so when you spend $20k for your bike. You can bet I would never buy their bike when they were done with it. JMHO

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
TW makes some very valid points here. I know that ANY manual transmission CAN be shifted without using the clutch...BUT...the timing of the shift and matching engine rpm is crutial to clean successful gear changes. Even professional racers screw it up, so those of us in the rank & file are likely to hash things in short order. As Two Wheel says, the clutch isn't an add-on.

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
If the transmission is in good condition it is easy to shift, up or down, without the clutch. It is less wear and tear on the clutch discs and won't hurt a thing. You just don't want to force it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you have tranny problems and tell the shop you shift WITHOUT the clutch, you will not get it fix under warranty. The clutch is there for a reason, use it. You probably would get away with it for a short time but I would not do all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nor sure how relevant my comments are as I currently ride a BMW R1100 RT...whose transmission is commonly described as "agricultural". While I always use the clutch in the lower gears, I sometimes shift into 4th or 5th without the clutch. Shifts slick as a ribbon. Downshifting without the clutch is a lot more difficult to get right. I don't do that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The type of bike makes all the difference when it comes to shifting. Sport bikes and Motocross are much easier to shift without a clutch and it may be the design of the gears or the massive weight difference between them and Wings. 400lbs to 1000 lbs plus riders makes a BIG difference on how the transmission responds to gear changes. I've tried the no clutch thing on my 1500 and it's not smooth at all and I hear things in the tranny I don't like , so that experiment didn't last long. I never used the clutch on my motocross bikes and never had an issue so I belive it has alot to do with the disign and shape of the gears.
And it's much cheaper to replace worn clutch discs than it is a broken transmission!

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
My 1800 shifts rough enough with the clutch. Could it be the clutch is actually getting in the way ? I seem to recall hearing that the gears are NOT synchronized.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's how the clutchless shifts are made,with synchronizers.But as stated above,that doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it. Why would anyone want to put undue wear/tear on their trans. ? On such a heavy bike,not a good idea. The clutch on these are practically bullitproof. If you are getting moderate or heavy klunking while shifting WITH the clutch,then the shifts are not being made properly. Anyone who would rather fix a trans. than shift properly has too much time/money on their hands. Not convinced,check out the thread on this forum of the fellow who took on this task himself at home,this shows what is being destroyed by not using the clutch.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The last time I checked, clutch discs were a whole lot cheaper than gears. If you insist on wearing something out, go for the cheaper "something".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts