Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever come up with a way to modify the stock shifter so it's larger and easier to get your foot under?

I currently have the Kury Heel-Toe shifter. But due to an old hip injury, pressing with my heel at times causes a painful cramp in my hip. When I had my Valkyrie, I had replaced the Valks shifter with one that came from an older Honda model which I think was a CBR 1000. It made a world of difference with the Valkyrie. Is there something similar for the GL1800?

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
I've seen several home-made extensions on shifters over the years, some pretty crude, others pretty nice. As to their function...:confused:

·
Registered
620 Posts
yep. Remove the rubber fron the shifter, cut a piece of 9/13 brass tube to the length yoy want, wrap the peg to creat a good fit of the tube over it, Cut a piece of 5/8 heater bhose and glue it over the tube. Dress up the rubber and enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check this out. Expensive but I have it and, with my knee, it is the only way I can ride an 1800.
ROADSMITH COMFORT CONTROLS FOR HONDA GL1800

•Moves pegs and controls foward 3" and down 1"
•Improved knee angle allowing for superior comfort
•Quicker access to the ground upon stopping for improved safety
•Works with OEM and aftermarket floor boards
•The perfect accessory for safety and comfort
•Available for two and three wheeled Honda GL1800
•Does not include installation

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check this out. Expensive but I have it and, with my knee, it is the only way I can ride an 1800.
ROADSMITH COMFORT CONTROLS FOR HONDA GL1800

•Moves pegs and controls foward 3" and down 1"
•Improved knee angle allowing for superior comfort
•Quicker access to the ground upon stopping for improved safety
•Works with OEM and aftermarket floor boards
•The perfect accessory for safety and comfort
•Available for two and three wheeled Honda GL1800
•Does not include installation
I also have them and they do make a definite positive difference in your foot/leg position! My problem now is the heel/toe shifter. Shifting with my heel at times causes painful spasms in my hip. Being that I also have the wing boards on my trike, I'm considering removing the heel/toe shifter and the Kuryakun floor boards and just use the wing boards to rest my feet on. That should give me enough clearance to place my foot under the shifter to up-shift and should also further increase my leg/foot position. We'll see,,,.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had this idea years ago just never built it 12v Solenoid mounted on trans and a rocker switch on the handle bar. Guess you could call it electronic shift kit. I actually have the solenoid just never got around to building it.....Thanx Craig

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was all set to buy the Pingel electric shifter. How-ever,, I found out that it will NOT work with the Comfort Controls from Roadsmith. I called Pingel and Roadsmith to confirm this. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts