Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am not sure why but I have had a great interest in the 1500 series Goldwings.....dont tell the WIfe...

I was interested in something between 95 and 2000 with lower mileage but not a dust collector.
Are parts readily available?
Timing belts seem to be an issue as well as alternators
What do you guys and gals say about such a bike...is there a down side to any specific year?

ANy input is appreciated, especially some trying to talk me out of it.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Like all bikes, it depends on how they have been maintained. The 1500's haven't changed that much since their introduction in 1989. I think the timing belts are not a real issue, they just need to be replaced now and then, I never heard of them breaking, maybe someone else has. Replacing timing belts is like replacing oil filters, it's all part of maintenance. As far as alternators go, I just replaced mine this past year, my bike has 109,000 and still had the original alternator. You can get parts for the 1500's pretty easy, however, they may not be cheap.
Mine is a 98 Aspencade, the only year in which the Goldwing had the "white face instruments" I've been very happy with my 1500.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
i am not sure why but I have had a great interest in the 1500 series Goldwings.....dont tell the WIfe...

I was interested in something between 95 and 2000 with lower mileage but not a dust collector.
What do you guys and gals say about such a bike...is there a down side to any specific year?

Yes parts are available. Timing belts are rated for 100k but some change sooner for peace of mind. Alternator doesn't seem to be an issue unless you overload it with allot of aftermarket electronics. My 2 issues so far have been the rear master cylinder and carbs. Had mine in shop a year ago for these issues and is back in shop again for same issues.

In hindsight my advice: don't buy a 1500 that has been sitting in a garage for a long time even if it looks pretty or is low mileage. Buy a daily driver even if higher mileage. These bikes go to crap sitting around. Don't ask me how I know this. :eek:

Oh, and Mum's the word with the wife. I found it easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
+ 1 on what Dan B said. Mums the word.

I traded a boat for my 95 1500 after not having ridden for 35 years. Had 28,000 on it and was loaded with chrome and such. I have put new tires on mine, and this weekend I am putting a compufire 90 amp alt and AGM battery in it. Nothing wrong with my alt I just want a higher capacity alt. I have had no problem with mine other than already learning how to pick it up off the ground from dropping it.(frown)

I can afford a new 1800, but I really kind of like the style of the 1500 over the 1800 in the looks dept, but that's just me. I know I would be happy with both.

Go ahead and get a 1500 and we will wait a week and ask the wife how you like it:)

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I think the alternators from 95 and up were better. Some of the 1500 owners can correct me if I'm wrong on that. Other than that just some subtle tweaks on them. Long as it's a regular runner should be pretty much bullet proof.

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
The 1988 and 1989 were different than the later models. They weren't different in appearance, but had minor mechanical differences. I bought my current 1500 with only 44K miles, and sold a 1993 with 193K miles on it, still running strong.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
As far as problems go with the 1500, I don't think there really were any to speak of. Most of the major problems I've seen and heard of were from lack of maintenance, neglect, or just setting to long. Like anything sometimes things just go bad.
Got 188,000 plus miles on my 93 and it still running strong.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
As far as problems go with the 1500, I don't think there really were any to speak of. Most of the major problems I've seen and heard of were from lack of maintenance, neglect, or just setting to long. Like anything sometimes things just go bad.
Got 188,000 plus miles on my 93 and it still running strong.
Ron it is not the 188000 mile's that is impressive. What is impressive is when you look out the window and see a 20 year old bike that looks like a new bike and it has 188000 mile's on it. What is more impressive is when you look out the window and see two red wings and you would think there was two new wing there.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If your ok turning wrenches, timing belts are not that hard to change and you can get them through Napa for $50-60. Watch the videos posted on changing them and have manual on hand. Alternators - I have almost 115,000 on mine and will think about having a local rebuilder go through it this spring. Brushes and a voltage regulator are a lot cheaper than $300 for a Compufire. Parts are available, but are starting to dry up at rallies. I had credit card in hand for a new seat at the last two Wing Dings but could only find one in stock. Wound up sending mine back to Diamond for a new cover.
Working on them is not so bad, just take your time to avoid breaking tupperware.
Now led lights are the rage and they take way less power to light them, so heavy loads are a thing of the past.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
You won't go wrong if you buy a 1500. I love mine and have had 0 issues other than an annoying small coolant leak after the initial $3,000.00 in repairs to get it up to speed from sitting too long before I purchased it.

Bought it with 30,000 miles, it now has 38,000 since April of 2012 when I bought it.

Good luck with your search

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
The 1500 was great for 13 years but so was my 1100 before thats, and the 1800 is super. Keep up the maintenance and you'll have no problems. There's nothing like a Honda.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I think the alternators from 95 and up were better. Some of the 1500 owners can correct me if I'm wrong on that. Other than that just some subtle tweaks on them. Long as it's a regular runner should be pretty much bullet proof.[/QUOT

Actually it was the other way around. The earlier alt's were better.Either way any auto alt/starter rebuilder can do them pretty cheap.They just can't spin them to check them as their machine requires a pulley on the alt to spin it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a 96SE with 194,000 on the odo..did replace the belts twice so far and had to replace the alternator twice (finally used a Compufire). 96 & 97 were the bad years for the alternators from my understanding. Otherwise the 1500 is a great bike to own and ride. Replacement (when I need one) just may be another 1500!:)

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Tooth, don't know if you've found a 1500 yet but let me refer you to one that I've seen and have a little knowledge on. It's up in Illinois near Bloomington and is one of those bikes worth traveling to, to buy it. The seller is from the North America Goldwing forum (Jerry Lee/aka Ghostrider2) and it's his wife's 99 SE. They bought it from the original owner, a pilot who kept an incredible journal and record of every repair and maintenance on the bike. Jerry had a Tow Pac installed on it which I bought and when I drove up to Illinois from Texas to pick it up; I wanted to buy the whole rig, bike and all. This bike is in much better condition than mine and has been ridden regularly and not been sitting up for years like mine had. The reason I didn't buy it was because my wife would have had a melt down. I was lucky just to get the Tow Pac. So, I had to pass on his bike but I wish it had been other wise. This bike is worth taking a look at as it's probably the nicest 1500 that I've ever seen and his price is reasonable at $6500. http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/view_topic.php?id=13421&forum_id=20

·
Registered
473 Posts
Loved my 2000 1500SE, loved the overall look of the bike, thought it was the complete package of style and performance. The only problem I had was loosing the "propeller" as Honda calls it, other wise known as the drive shaft, at around 90 or so k. Like another poster said, I to like the styling of the 15 over the 18, it is only timing that finds me riding an 18 now.

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
HEY TOOTH'S WIFE.... HE'S LOOKING FOR A NEW WING.....

There I told her. I can't keep a secret...

·
Registered
42 Posts
A friend, (who is also on here) says he will stay with the 1500 because of the differences in the it and the 1800. I have ridden the 1800, I must say the seat is comfortable. But I have not had to maintain one. I do like my 1500. I killed a deer with mine and after repairs, it still runs great.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts

Ck for sale got one that fits your bill

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.