Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My anxiously awaited delivery arrived last Friday evening. My 08' got delivered from Iowa to Seattle at 7 PM. I rode her to the hotel, then the next day put a 100 miles to take her close the Canadian border for the importation.

Because you can only export from US Mon. to Fri. during regular office hours, I had to put her in locked storage til Monday. I picked her up on Monday and did the export / import paperwork then drove to my sister's home for an overnite before doing the 300 mile ride home to Sun Peaks BC.

Tuesday morning left for the drive home. I decided to take the longer and windier Fraser Canyon route. Only hit rain for a couple of miles, then sunshine.

Overall impression....Awesome. :D Love the cruise option. Didn't have a headset yet, but was plugged into the tunes through my IPOD. I was suysprised how nimble and well she handled the tight turns,and how she took to leaning on the turns. I felt very much in control.

It was almost disappointing getting home and ending the day's trip. I've had lots of different bikes including a 70's Wing, but this thing is addictive.

The only slight disappointment is that the chrome is all plastic. I understand the weight reduction benefit, but I still prefer the real thing.

Anyways, I love her and I've named her "G(I)(L)L".:)

If one of you will help me out with some instructions, I'll post a couple of pics. now thatI've shined her back up.

ed

(YV)

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
Congratulations!!

I'll bet you can't get the :D off yet!

If you "Go Advanced" when posting there is a button to "Manage Attachments" to upload the pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Congrates & ride her safe. Enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Congratulations!!

I'll bet you can't get the :D off yet!

If you "Go Advanced" when posting there is a button to "Manage Attachments" to upload the pictures.
Or you can use img tags from photos you have saved on Photobucket or some similar website.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Plastic chrome ? Get used to it. It's expensive too, not so much because of the material it's made out of but because the chrome process is more involved for plastic than metal. It doesn't rust, however. Send me a picture of your bike by way of an attachment and I'll get it up on this thread while we work through the learning process. Send to : [email protected]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speaking of goodies!

You done right! My favorite color. We need to go shopping for some goodies.
Yup! I've got a fog lamps kit on order, then I need to focus on a headset. I'm still trying to get my head around spending $460 for a pair of J&M Elites. Not to mention that I just gave the government a total of just shy of $2,000 for import taxes. Ouch:mad:

(Fortunately the bike's new so didn't even need an oil change.)

I will probably also order a trunk rack after the headset.

(YV)

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Great looking ride. Be safe and enjoy many miles of smiles...

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
All I can say is NICE!!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
nice wing, might want to pick up highway boards and a driver back rest

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Yup! I've got a fog lamps kit on order, then I need to focus on a headset. I'm still trying to get my head around spending $460 for a pair of J&M Elites. Not to mention that I just gave the government a total of just shy of $2,000 for import taxes. Ouch:mad:

(Fortunately the bike's new so didn't even need an oil change.)

I will probably also order a trunk rack after the headset.

(YV)
Two grand in import taxes! And I thought it was bad buying an out of state vehicle. Hope the price was good enough to offset the taxes.

Good looking bike none the less, enjoy!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Two grand in import taxes! And I thought it was bad buying an out of state vehicle. Hope the price was good enough to offset the taxes.

Good looking bike none the less, enjoy!
The taxes would be payable whether I bought the bike in or out of Canada. Anytime we buy a vehcilce, new or used we pay 7% Provincial tax, (in B.C., like a state tax) + 5% Federal tax. The only additional cost was a $280 fee for Transport Canada compliance inspection.

I figured I saved $3 to $4 grand buying in the US, & I saved a little on the $ exchange. The only extra cost was the $625 shipping, so I came out ahead.

Ed
(YV)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nice wing, might want to pick up highway boards and a driver back rest
Are the highway boards more susceptible to draging on the pavement in the turns? The boards on my Indian were bad for that, and I didn't like to hear that scraping sound, although they were made to flip up.

Ed

(YV)

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
Beautiful bike! I don't think the highway boards will be dragging much, unless you throw it into turns like a sport bike! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to all.

I just want to thank all of you for all the good wishes and compliments. I am aware that there are a lot of great looking bikes out there.

I especially want to thank you guys for the sense of friendship I get from your messages. While I don't know any of you personally, (yet?), I get a real sense of camaraderie. I have belonged to several other vehicle related forums, and never experienced this sort of friendship online.

I will soon be joining the GWRRA BC chapter and may get a chance to meet more folks like you.

Should any of you ever be riding in my neighbourhood, (Sun Peaks, near Kamloops British Columbia), be sure to drop me a PM and drive "up the mountain" for a beer and a chat.

Ed

(Yellovette):)

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I've been to Kamloops on the rocky mountain train--that's some beautiful country. One of these days I will ride the wing up to Canada & take you up on your offer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts