Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use Shell Rotella T 15 W 40? Also I heard that a Wal Mart Super Tech Oil Filter ST 7317 can be used on a Wing, anyone know if that is true?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I guess it's OK if your bike is a diesel:rolleyes:
I'm not the sharpest tack around so, it's hard for me to understand not using the manufacturers recommended lubricants!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The 15W40 is O.K. to use, it's not a synthetic oil, the T6 like chopin 114 uses is the synthetic and that is what a bunch of Gold Wing riders are using in the 1500's and 1800's with great results. A lot that used to use Amsoil switched to that, it's Shell Rotella in the dark blue jug available at Wal Mart. and yes some are using the ST 7317 filter, that is one thing I won't do, I only use Honda filters, I order 10 at a time and get them for about $8.00 each.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will go with the synthetic and the Honda filters, thanks. With synthetic how much mileage do you recomend between changes.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I believe the maint schedule for the 1800 says every 8k miles for oil change and filter. Some change more often. I change every 5k just because it fits my schedule of riding and it's easy for me to remember. I run Honda synthetic blend and Honda filter. Did the same with my 1500.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Will go with the synthetic and the Honda filters, thanks. With synthetic how much mileage do you recomend between changes.
I change mine every spring, whether it's time or not. If I rode more than 8K in a " riding season " it would truly be a banner year for me.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I change mine every spring, whether it's time or not. If I rode more than 8K in a " riding season " it would truly be a banner year for me.
If you keep sneeking up here over the border into Pa you will pass that 8k for sure... Ride safe... and often..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been using Shell Rtella T6 5W-40..... works great for me....and for a filter i use one of Wal-Marts own brands ....Super-Tech ST 6607 . You can do your own research on the filter but its a fine piece of work.... and for $2.80 and sometime cheaper ... you cant beat it. So you can spend all you want ... on that life blood of the engine ... and the filter ... but my 23 bucks keeps my machine in tip top shape...and has for almost 40k miles....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've used Rotella 6T in the blue jug. Full synthetic, 10w -40 in my 2009, since my first oil change, I now have 48,000 plus and I change every 4-5 thousand miles. No problems that I can see. I also use ST6607 oil filters, Wally World is great for prices.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts