Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any input. I was thinking of trying them. After an hour or two on my 1500 it gets to a point where I have to stop. Thats a pain in the but (pun intended) It especialy hurts where my legs go over the seat. I have looked into the gel and air type and don't seem to impressed. These look interesting http://www.sheepskinfactory.com/motorcycleseatcovers.cfm
Opinions or experience would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
lunger don't really have much of an opinion on sheepskin. I do know a couple that have them for their Kaw Nomad & they love them. I just wanted to say that is a good looking ride you've got.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Lunger
I am a big tall guy 6' 2" AND 260 LBS. Even with foot boards on the Green Wing I am short of leg room. I picked up an Ortho Delux memory foam with gell pad and a sheep skin cover. I LOVE IT Hours in the saddle with NO discomfort.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
lunger: I think you just solved my monkey butt problem, With summer here, finally, comes the heat: and with heat comes the rash. Wish you had posted this a week ago as I could sure use it today. Thanks for the research. Yahoo!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lunger don't really have much of an opinion on sheepskin. I do know a couple that have them for their Kaw Nomad & they love them. I just wanted to say that is a good looking ride you've got.
Thanks Fossil, don't know what it is but I think that bike of yours looks great as well. :)

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
Must be the PA thing. I haven't heard any comments on my ride yet
Pa red!

Hey strat is that made from Canadian Hemlock?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll bet the sheep have an opinion on sheep skin

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey fossil...my ride gives new meaning to "farkle". I can use pressure treated or even cover it in vinyl siding :)
Actually it's a sneak peek into the Canadian version of the 2012 Wing. No PA Red here...pressure treated Green.
Strat

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
wool

I have a full seat cover made from shearling wool and I love it. first it is cool to sit on and second it really smooths out the seat. I tried a gel seat on two different bikes and I am unimpressed. I think it gel is a waste of money. I tried half memory foam half gel (in layers) and thought it was all right.

This time i simply wrapped my seat in shearling wool ( sew and fitted by a guy that makes medical wool covers for wheel chairs). I am completely happy and i have ridden long days on this seat. My stock 04 GW seat has 115,00) miles and the filling is pretty tired. I did not cover the upright portion of the seat as I rarely carry a passenger. Cost was about $250. What I don't know is how this thing will work after riding through a downpour. Probably best to cover it w plastic to prevent that.

I bought Hondalines fitted plastic cover thinking "ah ha, this will do as it is advertized to do". What a piece of trash. Better use a 1 mil trash bag and cram fit it over the seat in case of rain - cheaper too.

Shearling fitted seat cover..... YES.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought a sheepskin cover from Alaska Sheepskin for around $50 or $60 and really like it. It looks great on the bike as well. It is cool to sit on in summer (compared to vinyl) and warm in winter. I still can only go about an hour or so before squirming but if I am on an open uncongested road, I stand on the pegs a minute and then I can go another 10 or 15 minutes. I'm not an "iron-butt" and don't like to drive much further than that in my car either. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
Lunger
I am a big tall guy 6' 2" AND 260 LBS. Even with foot boards on the Green Wing I am short of leg room. I picked up an Ortho Delux memory foam with gell pad and a sheep skin cover. I LOVE IT Hours in the saddle with NO discomfort.
where did you get it at? are you using a stock seat lunger

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I had a faux sheepskin on my '84, made all the difference in the world. The 1200's had a very poor seat imo. If it wasn't for the adjuster, I'd have put on a Day-long or something other than stock (can you say burning behind?). Never had an issue with the 1500, and I like the stock seat on my '09.
It's our weather up here, if you don't have the wood wolmanized, ya gotta replace it all the time LOL

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
I just had some long days on my stock seat and while the weather was cool it wasn't bad. But the day it got into the 80's I was getting a little uncomfortable on long rides. So I was thinking about something that would boost me up an inch and be cooler. Wanted to see what opinions there were out there.

·
Registered
738 Posts
IMHO what you really should do(if you are planning on keeping the bike and have the money)is forget all the temporary fixes and get an after-market seat.It'll be the best money you will ever spend on your Baby.I've read lots of posts on other sites(and did it myself on my 1200's)where people keep spending money to redo or add things to the stock seat when the money they spend could be put towards a good seat.For example:sheepskin flattens out eventually and has to be replaced at say $25 to $60 a shot.Just saying!When I got the 1500 I thought the seat was pretty good and is in good shape,but it didn't take long to figure out it was crap.Got a good deal on a seat on E-bay.JC Whitney sells seats pretty cheap and from what I've heard are pretty good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts