Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now done 18000 km on my 2012 model and I am getting it serviced at the dealer every 6000 km (3500 mile). Each time I get it serviced the costs keeps increasing. The 18k service cost $450 without doing the air filter and I am told that the 24k service will be higher because they need to do the valves.

I am a little concerned that it is being over serviced and I am paying more than I should.

Is it necessary to service every 6000 km or can I run it out to 10000 km and still be ok?

I am also concerned that the dealer may not be doing all that he is charging for.

However, if these charges are normal and 6000k servicing necessary then I am happy with that. I just don't like paying for what is not necessary.

John

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Oil changes are @ 8,000 miles.
Valves are @ 32,000 miles.
Your stealer is ripping you off!
Buy a manual and Fred H's DVD's
Do it yourself at the proper intervals and save tons for gas/trips!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
For the most part you are paying for " peace of mind ". Their so called " service intervals " really don't work for me. I have 59,546 kilometers on my 2008 to date and I have personally replaced the brake pads, air filter, oil and clutch fluid , and of course tires. Never had it in for a " scheduled service " . In my opinion, they are pampering your bike. I like my local dealership and respect them for the work they do and they in turn respect me for the things I don't think need to be done.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Check your owners book for service intervals. The dealers usually over service the bike to get your money. Most tell you that it requires a 600 miles service, WRONG. A lot of stuff like oil changes you can do yourself. Keep your receipts as proof, you do not have to have the dealer do it to keep your warranty good.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am really amazed that you actually have dealerships that want and more importantly know how to service a goldwing. I have had more than one socalled mechanics tell me that he never does Goldwing valves...."they just dont need it".....I live in a dirt bike and ATV area and that is all these idiots know or even want to tackle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My service book states 6000km (aprox 3500 miles) service intervals. If I extend the service beyond 6000km it may void the warranty. However, I am not happy going back to the dealer for servicing.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
My service book states 6000km (aprox 3500 miles) service intervals. If I extend the service beyond 6000km it may void the warranty. However, I am not happy going back to the dealer for servicing.
What ??????? Is this a catch 22 ? Is this an Aussie clause ? I know you have " different " regulations, but something doesn't smell right here. Can you fax a copy of your owners manual book that states the service intervals ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have 33,000 miles on my 010 and it has never been back to the dealer except for the brake recall. I do all my service and run synthetic and change that around 6,000 miles. I send a oil sample to blackstone labs every time I change it to see how my engine's insides are doing. And they are doing fine. I do that to protect my warranty. Brakes and valve check are next.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Simo, I purchased "Pro-Care on my 2012, dealer provides all factory service, parts and labor included for 3 yrs, they service my bike every 4000mi. Let the flaming begin... The most expensive service "billed" was $315 at the 12000mi service when the air filter was changed. I've got another 1k to go til my next service, they may be servicing earlier that the manual states but I'm not "paying", and the way I figure it, I've about broke even at this point and have another 18 months to go til expiration. Currently the odo is sitting at 22955.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What ??????? Is this a catch 22 ? Is this an Aussie clause ? I know you have " different " regulations, but something doesn't smell right here. Can you fax a copy of your owners manual book that states the service intervals ?
You are right - I have checked the manual and it does state 12k Km intervals. However, I have check with a number of dealers since your post on the forum and they all say 6000 km servicing is required despite what the manual says.

In my view it is a definite case of over servicing.

All my friends in Australia who have Goldwings also get their bikes serviced every 6000km.

More fool me for not checking the book and assuming the dealer (stealer) was doing the right thing.

However he is a bigger fool than me because I will not go back again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, on the invoice the dealer has charged me for replacement of brake and clutch fluid.

However, the maintenance schedule stipulates (I) inspection only. Replacement to be every 2 years. I am still on the original brake pads yet they replaced the fluids. I question if the fluids were changed or just charged for!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
hey simo just change oil every 6000ks easy to do and not that expensive,been doing it for over thirty years now on all my bikes, and never a problem pluss the bike enjoys a drink or two

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
You are right - I have checked the manual and it does state 12k Km intervals. However, I have check with a number of dealers since your post on the forum and they all say 6000 km servicing is required despite what the manual says.

In my view it is a definite case of over servicing.

All my friends in Australia who have Goldwings also get their bikes serviced every 6000km.

More fool me for not checking the book and assuming the dealer (stealer) was doing the right thing.

However he is a bigger fool than me because I will not go back again.
In their defense, if that's possible, perhaps they treat all bikes as equals. Those Crotch Rocket bikes tend to get a lot more service done as they ride hard and fast and the owners expect it.. It could be just ignorance on their part. I average 16,093 km a riding season. Based on your service intervals my bike would be in the shop about three times between the months of March and November. That's not right.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does it void the Warranty if I service the bike with an authorized mechanic who is not a Honda Dealer? I find the warranty document contradictory on this issue.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Does it void the Warranty if I service the bike with an authorized mechanic who is not a Honda Dealer? I find the warranty document contradictory on this issue.
I have never read the Warranty . I don't even have a copy. I'm on my four year " Extended Warranty " coverage that I purchased last year for $500. I know that it's there because I asked my local Dealer if it was . He ran my VIN number and said , " Yep! You're covered until February 2016 ". To answer your question " Does it void the Warranty....... " , my answer is a resounding NO.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have no idea if the warranty is different there?
In the US, having service performed by a non-dealer, including yourself, does not void the warranty.
But, you best do all the sevices @ the proper intervals and you need to keep all receipts!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They did pass a law in this country some years back where you did not void your warranty if you took your car to a non dealer for servicing. I expect it will be the same with the bike.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
They did pass a law in this country some years back where you did not void your warranty if you took your car to a non dealer for servicing. I expect it will be the same with the bike.
I say don't make enemies, but stand up for what you believe in and ask those others to do the same. Trust but verify. Ultimately, a ' warranty " issue resides to a certain degree upon the discretion of the dealer. They don't make " big bucks " on warranty work, but a little integrity has to be subsumed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
hey simo do most definitly can but must have all reciets ie oil used and gen filters and signed dates,they try any way out, cheers mate

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I say don't make enemies, but stand up for what you believe in and ask those others to do the same. Trust but verify. Ultimately, a ' warranty " issue resides to a certain degree upon the discretion of the dealer. They don't make " big bucks " on warranty work, but a little integrity has to be subsumed.
I agree, I am not one to burn bridges. I have contacted the dealer management by email. The CEO has responded and said he will look into it and contact me next week.

I will post to the forum when I get a reply.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts