Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen alot of different " Service Manuals " names, both free on-line or purchaseable through web sites. I'm a garage door mechanic, not a motorcycle mechanic. But a tool is a tool and I have access to whatever it takes. Any do-it-youselfers recommend a particular " manual " or is the free one I downloaded as good as the paid-for version. ?

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
I have a Clymers, which is what you normally see for free download. It's okay, I haven't had terrible issues, however I hear some of the info is not always correct & most people seem to say "bite the bullet" & buy the Honda Shop Manual. As I said I haven't had any issues yet with the Clymers. When I do I will breakdown & get the Honda. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... AS MANY HERE WILL ATEST I AM A FIRM BELIEVER IN THE FACTORY MANUAL ... HONDA MANS. ARE AROUND $55. AT YOURE' DEALER ALL OLDER MANS. ARE STILL AVAILABLE ... CLYMERS HAS ALREADY COST ME $100. ... HAPPY TRAILS ... P.S. FOSIL HAVE YOU'RE FORK READY FOR A LITTLE BULLET BITING lol ...

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
... HOWDY ... AS MANY HERE WILL ATEST I AM A FIRM BELIEVER IN THE FACTORY MANUAL ... HONDA MANS. ARE AROUND $55. AT YOURE' DEALER ALL OLDER MANS. ARE STILL AVAILABLE ... CLYMERS HAS ALREADY COST ME $100. ... HAPPY TRAILS ... P.S. FOSIL HAVE YOU'RE FORK READY FOR A LITTLE BULLET BITING lol ...
Semper Fi to both of you! ronzilla swears by it, and fosil has yet to swear at it. That's two recommendations to get the authorized version. It shall be done. P.S. How did " Clymer's " cost you $100 ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
manuals

I have used manuals from several publishers over the years chilton, clymer and haynes. I have at times had the manual ordered before I even had possession of the bike. I would recommend a manual of some kind for every owner. I have found errors in all of them but not many. My current Haynes manual for '95 Aspy has a wiring diagram with the + terminal of the battery going to ground!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Huh. $65 for the service manual. Think I'll buy the Haynes manual instead.

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts
Like Fossil Bill, I find Clymer manuals pretty good, and better than Haynes. My '95 GL1500 came with the Honda official shop manual including the electrical addendum and it is thorough. Downside? It's basically written for Honda-trained techs, so sometimes not as explicit (read "simple") as some of us require; it is also voluminous and sometimes the Clymer manual is a quicker way to get the info you want. 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've opened my 2,756,830 page Honda shop manual a few times, not so much for myself as for others questions. It is a " shop " manual for shop mechanics.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
+1 with Kevin on this. Like I said long ago to Chopin on this thread my Clymers has never let me down. I know people talk about the errors and such but the way I look at it (and Kevin feel free to chime back in) is that if you are any type of mechanic you should be able to spot those mistakes and adapt quickly.

My Clymers is well used Oh by the way to sum this topic up......."That's what she said."

:LaughHard:

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts
+1 with Kevin on this. Like I said long ago to Chopin on this thread my Clymers has never let me down. I know people talk about the errors and such but the way I look at it (and Kevin feel free to chime back in) is that if you are any type of mechanic you should be able to spot those mistakes and adapt quickly.

My Clymers is well used Oh by the way to sum this topic up......."That's what she said."

:LaughHard:
Only thing I can think of to add, Bill, is that when I AM stuck regardless of the manual I've always got the GWOF to help me out!:)

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Only thing I can think of to add, Bill, is that when I AM stuck regardless of the manual I've always got the GWOF to help me out!:)

:WellDone::WellDone::WellDone:

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The only downside I see in the factory manual is the sheer size of it. The jobber manuals are simpler yes, and they are just that: jobbers. Honda wrote the manual for their techs, not us so you have to expect some technical saavy required when using it. Just as newer wings aren't all that easy to work on due to their complexity, so is the manual. Can't have everything, but I'm very glad I have factory manuals for both my bikes. What they cost is paid back every time you use it.

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
I have the factory manuals for both my current bike and the 1200. They come in handy for repairs and helping out here. :)

I must be different, I have no problem understanding the 'tech speak'. ;)

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have a full factory manual for my bike,but I also downloaded a free one and use both.Sometimes the free one is a bit clearer.Good to have both so you can get a different view sometimes.I pulled the fairing off my 1800 this spring and the free one was clearer for this job after comparing the two.For the real tech stuff I would go with the factory manual.

Just checked and the free one is a Honda manual as well,but different than the paper version I have.Hmmm!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Personally, I would never rely on a single, individual manual. They all have their pitfalls in my experience. My factory Honda manual, for example, tends to send me off all over the place in the binder for various steps and, in some cases, simply doesn't address common things I need to do.

My Clymer, on the other hand, will show, for example, a fuzzy, black-and-white picture of some connector or other to be disconnected, or some mechanical part to be repaired, with absolutely no clue given as to where on the bike it might be found.

My suggestion is to acquire all the manuals you can for the bike, and when you have something specific to do, scour YouTube for videos as well. Among these, and the invaluable information to be found on Goldwing fora, you should find everything you need.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Personally, I would never rely on a single, individual manual. They all have their pitfalls in my experience. My factory Honda manual, for example, tends to send me off all over the place in the binder for various steps and, in some cases, simply doesn't address common things I need to do.

My Clymer, on the other hand, will show, for example, a fuzzy, black-and-white picture of some connector or other to be disconnected, or some mechanical part to be repaired, with absolutely no clue given as to where on the bike it might be found.

My suggestion is to acquire all the manuals you can for the bike, and when you have something specific to do, scour YouTube for videos as well. Among these, and the invaluable information to be found on Goldwing fora, you should find everything you need.

I agree especially if you can get them for free.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts