Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally, got to work on my favorite project this past week. Got both wheels off the 1500.

(note that this is years of dirt eating into the aluminum by the previous owner)

I used scotchbrite with bug and tar cleaner, brake cleaner and degreaser. We use scotchbrite at work on steel and figured this to be fairly aggressive on aluminum.

The front wheel has all those oval holes with various curves and steps. I don't know where I read it but I tried using Easy Off and wiped it off and sprayed it with water after 10 minutes.

If you look at the picture, the dirty side is where I scrubbed with scotchbrite for over an hour, the clean side was done with Easy off.

Note: I did this on old wheels with no clear coat or worry of damaging the finish. I also did it with the old tires about to come off. I didn't see any issues with it damaging or discoloring the rubber but those are unknowns so do this at your own risk.

I finished with an SOS pad and the steel wool shined up pretty well.
Didn't make my ride a trailer queen but the stains are gone and wheels are clean.

Tho't it might help someone else with major dirt problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Gotta get a can and do mine. I did the hand scrub with scotch brite too and after a few weeks I started making a little progress. I'll be happy to get the staing off the power ball with Mothers aluminum polish will do the rest......Thanks for the hint.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Looks good. Your hard work and research is going to same some folks a lot of time.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just picked up whatever was in the yellow can. don't think it was heavy duty but whatever you do, do it where it is WELL ventilated. And 10 minutes of waiting is the only hard part.

Good luck...

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you want to go farther use a dremil with a number 520 pollishing wheel then some Mothers aluminum and mag polish.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the post as I bought a 1994 Goldwing GL 1500 Trike last week and the front rim looks sorry compared to the paint job on the trike. I'll give the easy off a try as I getting all three tires replaced next week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts