Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might as well post it here. It is not written in stone yet but the wife and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone. We have a total of 14 days to do it and get back to Houston.

I kinda know where I want to go as far as a route goes (I drove 18 wheeler OTR for two years) , but it would be interesting to see what you would plan for a route.
Between you guys routs and the final route I plan, it should be awesome. I am sure there are tons of roads and places that I may not know about.

Your homework assignment is to plan a route from Houston to Yellowstone and back in 14 days. Only the best as far as roads and places to stay the night! And we are the type who like to "stop and smell the roses", not the iron butt types!!.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
This is our 10 year anniversary and we had originally planned to go to Key West. But thanks to BP, our plans have changed and we do have the wing now. I think it is time we do the nasty and just go LIVE! Take off and what happens happens!
Chop and Rapier, I wish we were heading east, would be nice to meet you two and your better half's but west is where my heart is.

On a side note, anyone who may be planning a similar trip at the same time? It would be awesome to tag along with some other good people!

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Working on it, but I hate homework. So far I come up with about a 1500 mile semi bee -line route to Cody Wyoming.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Buzzy, never been much for doing homework. I guess that's why I'm an HVAC guy. I would say that on the North side you want to go through the Tetons & Jackson Hole. Maybe swing wide & go to Wendover. I don't know if Bonneville holds any interest, that was the one place I would have like to get to on my trip but it's was too far out of the way.

Anyhow, here is a website for you. Now you can do some of that homework yourself.:rolleyes:

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Scrub Yellowstone for my money and go to southern Utah, I did like the tetons too.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scrub Yellowstone for my money and go to southern Utah, I did like the tetons too.
Ha ha , Utah is on the route believe it or not, especially Mohab! I have been thru there many times in a big rig but never had the chance to really "see anything".
This will not be a "straight shot" rout by any means. BUT, whatever route it is must fit in a 14 day time frame.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Went thru Yellowstone last year after being in Glacier,glad I went but kind of a let down after driving the road to the sun in Glacier.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Utah

My favorite ride in Utah is the Escalante arm, what ever that means. Route 12 and 24 connect into about 80 miles of wonder.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you'd like to swap some damp heat for some dry heat, you might consider these:

1. Route 66 from Kingman, AZ to Oatman (a fun stretch of road).
  2. Over to Laughlin and then to VEGAS BABY! (With a short detour over to see Hoover Dam and the new bridge they're building).
  3. North on I-15 to Zion Natl. Park (with a slight detour through "Valley of Fire State Park" and back to I-15 via Logandale.)
  4. Grand Canyon North Rim (but be careful, this is where Fossil's problems started!) :D
  5. Bryce Canyon, UT
  6. The Escalante Arm that "billcarr" mentioned. (I haven't been there yet but it's now on my list)
When you planning to make this ride? If you decide to head this way, there's plenty of alternate scenic roads in So. Nevada and So. Utah that will get you from "A to B" without getting burned out on freeways (unless you're in a hurry). Let me know if you need additional info on "my" area.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Utah

After you leave Zion swing north and stop (mid state) at Scofield. There visit the cemetery. Just why will become evident as you walk through. After you leave I assure you will feel twice as alive as when you arrived. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Okay, remember you asked for this. Maps and going from point A to B an interesting route is my hobby. I didn’t pick stopping places that would be up to you depending on the distance you want to make each day.
So, I assume being in Texas you want to get out of state the quick way. Take I-10 west to the other side of San Antonio to Comfort, TX and US 87 north through Fredericksburg, Brady, San Angelo, Big Spring, Lubbock to US 84, west to Clovis, NM and Melrose. Just west of Melrose take NM 268 north to Forest then NM 209 to Tucumcari.
From Fossil’s recent recommendation take NM 104 to Las Vegas then north on NM 518 to Taos. Then west on US 64 to US 84 and west to Pagosa Springs, CO and Durango and Cortez. (Don’t miss Mesa Verde NP) Then US 491 to US 191 into Moab, UT. (Don’t miss Arches NP) Stay on US 191 through Prince to Rack Springs, WY, Jackson and into Yellowstone Park.
Come back down US 287 through the Wind River Valley, which I have heard is real nice. To Rawlins and I-80 east to Walcot and WY 130 south to Walden, CO. Then on CO 14 to Ft Collins through the Cache LaPodre canyon which was fantastic when I worked there in the early 80’s. Through Ft. Collins on 14 out into the plains. Just east of Stoneham take US 287 south through OK and into Amarillo, TX and to Childress. Then US 83 south to Abilene. There are a number of great steak and BBQ places to eat there. Then home to Houston.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Mark you could be a tour guide.:D:D:D

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah Hell!! Scrap the Yellowstone trip!
Momma says she can't hang with 14 days on a bike. She is fine for little 1000 miles trips but doesn't want to do the 14 day thing!
I might just have to trailer the damn wing where ever we go and look like a sissy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife and I just were in Yellowstone. We have been there many times, but this time we took our 99 1500 SE and drove over the top of the Beartooth Highway, which goes from Cooke City in the park to Red Lodge, Montana. The road is great and the views are some that you will never forget. (the pass is over 10,000 feet high)

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Ah Hell!! Scrap the Yellowstone trip!
Momma says she can't hang with 14 days on a bike. She is fine for little 1000 miles trips but doesn't want to do the 14 day thing!
I might just have to trailer the damn wing where ever we go and look like a sissy!
WHAT!!!! Well, I hear Galveston is a nice place to visit for a day. Stay home, mope around, and make her feel guilty." Don't argue with a bear in her own cave " . These are words of wisdom I was given to by others. Just passing them along.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
My wife and I just were in Yellowstone. We have been there many times, but this time we took our 99 1500 SE and drove over the top of the Beartooth Highway, which goes from Cooke City in the park to Red Lodge, Montana. The road is great and the views are some that you will never forget. (the pass is over 10,000 feet high)
O yes I will be on the Beartooth Highway in September and the more I see nice things like this I cant wate to get the 86 on the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts