Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks,

If anyone drives some distance to get to Blue Ridge Parkway or the Dragon. You might consider a little longer trip to the coast. We had a great time, spent 6 days there.

We saw some really old Harleys (looked like bicycles) out on the highway and missed a rare opportunity to see some up close. A cannon ball run from Kitty Hawk, NC to San Diego, CA took off yesterday. Pre 1916 Harleys.

Wish we had known. But we did see some other cool things.

1-Carrutuck lighthouse built 1873

2-Wild horses. dumped by spanish ship in 1500s. They ran aground on the rocks so they dumped the load to save themselves. They died. Had they jumped and hung onto the horses, they swam to shore and been in Corolla, NC ever since. They are wild, you cannot pet or feed them. They want them to be left alone. There are very expensive homes there but they cannot fence them in or out. The horses have total free range of the area. And they like to go in yards where the grass really is taller and greener because of the septic tanks below. We went on a 2 hour ride with guide. Very cool with alot of history.
3-Memorial to Wright brothers. Really cool, you can't understand their experience until you stand on that dune, have the wind make your hat disappear and see the drop over a couple hundred yards. Always thought they were kind of courageous/stupid. Found out they were really smart. Never knew they had scale models of the plane and a funcitonal wind tunnel...... they weren't hoping it would fly, they already knew it would fly.
4-Seagull, NC. A popular place 100 years ago for rich hunters and fisherman. It was a low land that barely separated the ocean from the inlet. Only problem, the 2nd largest dune in NC moved inch by inch until it covered the town. Still on the federal books for tax purposes. Alot of the land around is privately owned. We were told that if dig down 15 or 20 feet, you can hit chimneys with your shovel

Hwy 12 is really and relaxing road. It goes on seemingly forever between 25 and 45 mph. Lots of towns and bars and restaurants and more bars and towns and restaurants. seafood was great and we found it's always 5 oclock there. At least that's what my watch said.

Karen, my wife, took these pix.
the last one is Seagull, NC with 2 kids standing on top the dune.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Thank you for the interesting read on the area and the pictures that went with it. I dont know if I will ever get back to that part of USA.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
OBX. The crown jewel of North Carolina. Some of us easterners have only visited it with a car full of children and beach supplies. How nice it would be to revisit there with only the provisions that a Wing could carry.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
I attended a training class at Kitty Hawk a few years ago and thought it would be a good place to ride to. Now I know and see a lighthouse I missed. Thanks for the pictures and narrative.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
wright brothers

Hi Loveto,

That was an informative commentary on the Wright brothers. Thank you. (They weren't hoping, they knew it would fly).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts