Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok- Any Sena 50s users out there ?
We have a 21 GW and while we have paired the Senas to talk to each other via the Bluetooth phone app successfully, our issue is after we pair our Senas to the GW, we cannot seem to get it to answer the telephone and have audio-

The call rings and “answers” /picks up, but rider and caller cannot hear/speak ?

And yes, I find individual tutorials to pair, and tutorials to do diff sep functions …sure…
But there is no tutorial to get us over the humps of pairing both riders with the bike, being able to talk to each other (rider and passenger), listen to music, receive / answer and talk to callers, and get navigation audio cues-

I would love to do a FaceTime on my iPad with someone experienced so both my phone and hubby’s phone are available to be walked thru all of this?
I’m willing to PayPal or Venmo you for help.

Should I assume only one phone would be able to receive calls after being paired with the bike?

Do both rider AND passenger hear turn by turn instructions?

So many questions regarding Apple Play and more!!! 😳
And I’m super unclear about how many functions can operate at one given time, and how many “operational” combos there are?

thx in advance- reading answers is a challenge as instructional writing solutions may seem self evident and clear on your end, but not stave off confusion on our end- hence the ask of FaceTime consultation…

·
Registered
428 Posts
Are you sure the bike will pair to three items at the same time? 1. first Sena, 2. phone. 3. second Sena. I don't think so. The two Sena 50s are paired together through their intercom functions, not the bikes system. That is why your riding buddies on other bikes can not communicate through your bike systems. Otherwise they could answer your phone. LOL!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure the bike will pair to three items at the same time? 1. first Sena, 2. phone. 3. second Sena. I don't think so. The two Sena 50s are paired together through their intercom functions, not the bikes system. That is why your riding buddies on other bikes can not communicate through your bike systems. Otherwise they could answer your phone. LOL!
Thx Terry for responding- I am not sure of ANYTHING- I’m not sure what capabilities are and aren’t-
And what the max Actually IS on functionality ?
I’m here for education-

So do you thing we can get navigation they the Wing and still talk to each other?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not sure about Senas because the wife and all my riding buddies have Cardo Packtalks. Does your Sena allow two mobile phone connections? If so, here are the links we use for day trips: 1) my Packtalk is Bluetooth linked to my Iphone with the Packtalk primary mobile phone link, 2) my Packtalk is Bluetooth linked to the Goldwing Rider application with the Packtalk secondary mobile phone link, 3) my Iphone is cable connected to the Goldwing USB port to initiate the Goldwing Apple CarPlay application. Substitute Packtalk above with Sena 50 and you should be setup correctly. The one big difference between your Sena 50 and the Cardo Packtalk is with the intercom system that allows you to talk with another Sena 50 owner. Packtalk uses a far superior protocol called DMC, Dynamic Mesh Communication, instead of Bluetooth. Once someone creates a DMC intercom pack linking up intercom communications it is pretty much pain free versus Bluetooth intercom. Again, never having owned a Sena but being around some riders who have, I believe your Bluetooth intercom links are dedicated to intercom only and can't link with any other devices. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure about Senas because the wife and all my riding buddies have Cardo Packtalks. Does your Sena allow two mobile phone connections? If so, here are the links we use for day trips: 1) my Packtalk is Bluetooth linked to my Iphone with the Packtalk primary mobile phone link, 2) my Packtalk is Bluetooth linked to the Goldwing Rider application with the Packtalk secondary mobile phone link, 3) my Iphone is cable connected to the Goldwing USB port to initiate the Goldwing Apple CarPlay application. Substitute Packtalk above with Sena 50 and you should be setup correctly. The one big difference between your Sena 50 and the Cardo Packtalk is with the intercom system that allows you to talk with another Sena 50 owner. Packtalk uses a far superior protocol called DMC, Dynamic Mesh Communication, instead of Bluetooth. Once someone creates a DMC intercom pack linking up intercom communications it is pretty much pain free versus Bluetooth intercom. Again, never having owned a Sena but being around some riders who have, I believe your Bluetooth intercom links are dedicated to intercom only and can't link with any other devices. Hope this helps.
Thx for this response- I’m stuck working today but will soak this up later and absorb- Sena has mesh in addition to BT… again I’m truly curious how many functions will work at one time- your answer helps….

·
Registered
16 Posts
There are many different ways to use this that makes it so confusing. Understanding the basics and starting from scratch sometimes helps understanding where the problem is.
Before beginning, You should make sure you update the SENA firmware and if you update, You should make sure you do a reset (soft or reset to factory) after.

Sena and most other brands have 2 channels for connection. One channel for Headset to Headset and other channel for external devices.

Channel 1 Intercom (headset to headset > Sena to Sena)
Channel 1 is used in different modes.
.Bluetooth standard intercom mode (up to 4 headsets)
..Group mode (limited to 24 I think) this mode allows you to pick a channel
...Open Mesh mode (unlimited). Basically all on same channel, open and headsets become repeaters.

Channel 2 is usually connected to another device > The bike (as a device) or the phone (as a device).
If the driver and you are connected paired to the bike, the bike is controlling the audio output. This is for on bike music and on-board navi audio.
Intercom function is only controlled by the headset. The GW bike does not do Intercom > Sena controls the microphone audio. This does not work like the old wings did. Why I don't know..

Driver> If not using carplay, pair the Sena Headset to the bike, then pair drivers phone to the bike. Do not connect the Sena headset to the phone. This allows limited control of the phone such as answer, hangup etc. through the bike.

If using carplay, before turning on the Sena, the driver iphone blue tooth must be disabled, then turn on the Sena and connect Sena to the bike, (make sure audio can be heard such as radio), then with the iphone open (signed in, not locked) plug in the Iphone. The bike then using carplay will control the iphone over the wired interface.

Passenger> The passenger turns on the second Sena, with Bluetooth enabled on phone and paired to your sena, you should hear phone connected, then Press the sena jog dial to establish intercom, then sena will pair to your iphone (phone connected)

The driver will have phone control for that first phone (through the bike with carplay or headset using BT)
The passenger will have phone control for second phone. (not though the bike BT)

So to answer your issue,
First step you two need to be able to communicate Driver to Passenger via SENA . (forget the bike.. leave it powered off). This first step is, Turn on your Sena and One of you tap the jog dial once. Wait for a couple of seconds and you will hear a beep. (if not then follow the intercom paring process. Press and Hold Jog Dial in for 6 seconds on both headsets until you both hear "intercom Pairing" then on ONE headset press the Jog dial one time. you should hear confirmation beep. Now turn off both, turn on both and one of you press the jog.) Key word here is the JOG dial for Intercom.. once paired, only one of you has to press it to initiate intercom between headsets.

Second. You need to pair your phones to the SENAs separately. Start with both of your headsets off. Pick a phone to headset to pair together. (I put a label on each of ours so we keep the same unit) Turn on the SENA, Turn on your Iphone and go to bluetooth settings, hold the PHONE button in for 5 seconds until you hear Phone Pairing, then look at your iphone bluetooth and pick the SENA. (tip you can change the name so you don't get confused) Pair the phone to headset. Now turn off that SENA. Now get your Second Headset and Second Iphone and pair those in the same manner.

Test your calling and siri voice commands. Make sure you can call and speak and hear. (turn up the volume)

Once you have that all squared away, the normal operations would be, You both don your helmets, you both turn on your sena, ONE of you press the Jog for intercom. You should both also hear "phone connected". You will make/receive calls independent of each other.

Now you need to throw into the mix the Goldwing. It can only connect 3 devices to the goldwing. 1 phone and 2 headsets.
Turn off your Iphones bluetooth.
Turn off your SENA headset.

On the bike enter Driver Headset pairing
Turn on the Drivers Headset and enter Pairing mode on the SENA
Pair to bike.
Turn off Driver SENA

Repeat for Passenger Headset paring on the GW settings.
Once complete, Turn off Passenger SENA

Next on GW go to Phone Pairing.
Pair the Drivers iphone with the GW. per the manual on page 84.

Once that is done,
Process goes like this. (should)
Determine if the driver is using carplay or bluetooth,

1. Bluetooth only no car play
a. Driver Turn on Sena
b. Passenger Turn on Sena (passenger iphone connects to Passenger SENA)
c. One person Taps the Jog dial
d. Verify intercom
e. Turn on Goldwing
f. Allow system to boot, Allow headsets to connect bluetooth (two headsets)
g. Allow GW to connect to Iphone (phone icon) Verify on Drivers phone it is connected to GW not SENA. in the blue tooth settings.

Driver can start up music on Iphone and both should hear it, Google Maps audio, only Driver hears.
Driver should be able to press the Phone button and make calls, Driver will also be able to use nav buttons to pick numbers to dial. (should also be able to use Hey Siri)
When a call is made, Driver intercom cuts the passenger off.
When talking to each other, the SENA is controlling the intercom.

2. Car play for Driver.
a. Turn on Goldwing
b. Go to phone Pairing on GW and turn it off.
c. Open Drivers Iphone and turn off Bluetooth
d. Turn off Goldwing
e. Turn on Driver Sena
f. Turn on Passenger Sena (passenger iphone connects to Passenger Sena)
g. One person taps the Jog Dial
h. Verify Intercom
i. Turn on Goldwing
j. Allow System to boot, Allow headsets to connect blue tooth (two headsets showing on Dash) (if not fix in GW settings)
k. Drivers Iphone, turn on and unlocked
l. Plug Iphone into USB port on GW
m. Car play should start up, select it if not.

Driver controls car play and makes/receives call directly on the wired connection, the headset is connected to bike on bluetooth from the headset. Call comes in it cuts off Passenger while in call. Passenger makes call, cuts off intercom while passenger in call.

Also other things to check
1. bike is not in mute.. the speaker icon in dash will have slash through the icon. press volume up to unmute.
2. bike volume is not set to low.
3. SENA volume not to low.. spin jog clockwise till you hear a beep.

Sometimes you have to recycle Sena if it gets out of sync..
Sometimes the iphone will just randomly disconnect. Vibration and loose connection or phone overheat..

Also a tip, you can rename the Sena using the Sena Utility. so to keep the devices unique. Instead of Sena 20S EVO ver 1.2.1 Rename it Jills or Mikes Sena 20S

There are several You Tube videos on these topics.

Only way i've found for both rider and passenger to hear the navigation is using on-board navigation, google maps on car play only driver hears it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts