Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is pretty much mint, 25k on it, not a scratch that anyone could find, I sure can't lol, and runs like a dream, I kept her up, took care of it like my baby, I hate to sell it, but should I allow a test Drive without knowing anyone with out cash in hand or something, it just seems weird as it's a big bike and dam near mint.

What what should I do? Never sold a huge bike to someone I never knew..

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
there are differing opinions on this,
like you said it is your baby

I bought 2 wings, test road 4 (including the ones I actually purchased, have to admit 2 were at dealers, only one was purchased from a dealer)

For me, it would be on a case by case basis,
kind of have to feel them out,
do they have a MC license, ( showed them my MC license, had a helmet and gloves in my truck, left them the keys to my truck, they let me ride)
have they road anything of that size and when

you just have to feel them out, I have turned some down before that wanted a test ride and I have been turned down for a test ride before ( I left that one behind)

ultimately, your call, might want to call your insurance company and see if the test rider would be covered, if that would make you feel more comfortable

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with dsurley. To share an experience I had test riding a bike, for the test ride we went over to an empty parking lot, in this case a school that was closed for summer, seller rode his bike over and I drove my truck & trailer. IMO I liked the idea, no traffic, plenty of room to get a feel of the handling, braking, listening for noises, and etc. and I'm sure the seller was more comfortable that someone wasn't going to joy ride or run off with his bike.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I continue to ponder this issue as I might be selling 2 bikes myself. I’d like to photograph their license, and hold their keys. I wonder about having a document written up that states liability for damage. I feel more need now, to ’CYA’ than ever before.

·
Registered
25 Posts
there are differing opinions on this,
like you said it is your baby

I bought 2 wings, test road 4 (including the ones I actually purchased, have to admit 2 were at dealers, only one was purchased from a dealer)

For me, it would be on a case by case basis,
kind of have to feel them out,
do they have a MC license, ( showed them my MC license, had a helmet and gloves in my truck, left them the keys to my truck, they let me ride)
have they road anything of that size and when

you just have to feel them out, I have turned some down before that wanted a test ride and I have been turned down for a test ride before ( I left that one behind)

ultimately, your call, might want to call your insurance company and see if the test rider would be covered, if that would make you feel more comfortable
Great advice. There is no right, or wrong. Personally, I call before traveling to determine whether Seller is "willing to consider" a test ride. If he says no, that's the end of it. Keep it. Conversely, I would never let anyone ever ride my bike without a signed Bill of Sale, and cash in hand. Go figure, but that's just me because I am meticulous with my bikes.

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
I have allowed test rides and been allowed to take test rides. I've asked for the keys to their vehicle before the test ride. When I bought my current bike the owner wanted me to take a ride. even though I wasn't comfortable doing so, due to weather conditions.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
The ONE thing that I urge you to do is this

CALL your motorcycle insurance company,
see what they say about coverage, most, if it is a licensed person and you gave permission to, then they become an authorized driver/operator.
so your insurance will still cover.
BUT, I did not say ALL will cover, that is why I urge you to call then insurance company and question them about it.

Like I said and FL_RedWing said, if I can't ride it, I ain't buying it,
but unlike FL I will let some one test ride mine, but many many questions will happen before hand, they might have to leave their wife behind to go ride

but each knows the area that they live in and how many if any issues ever happen with a test ride
maybe ask the local Sheriffs Dept or city PD if you could use their parking lot, street, or if they could be witness, or run the persons info

·
Registered
582 Posts
The ONE thing that I urge you to do is this

CALL your motorcycle insurance company,
see what they say about coverage, most, if it is a licensed person and you gave permission to, then they become an authorized driver/operator.
so your insurance will still cover.
BUT, I did not say ALL will cover, that is why I urge you to call then insurance company and question them about it.

Like I said and FL_RedWing said, if I can't ride it, I ain't buying it,
but unlike FL I will let some one test ride mine, but many many questions will happen before hand, they might have to leave their wife behind to go ride

but each knows the area that they live in and how many if any issues ever happen with a test ride
maybe ask the local Sheriffs Dept or city PD if you could use their parking lot, street, or if they could be witness, or run the persons info
That is a very clever idea you gave right there. I would not have thought of it. And, given those conditions, WOULD allow a parking lot test ride without reservations. Well, with correct answers to 20 questions too! 😬 😇

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
after posting my last post
I kind of had to rethink part of it............ I was thinking of my "current" wife when I wrote it
best thing ever and we are about to finish year 23,
but then I thought of my "first" wife and how much I loved her at the end of it
leaving the wife could be a bad thing :devilish:

·
Registered
1985 GL1200 Goldwing Aspencade Limited Edition.
37 Posts
My attitude is no. Yeah, this might cost me a potential sale, but so will the guy who gets on it, and wrecks it. I literally watched someone let another person get on their sport bike only to have it get totaled. I'm not going to be in that position. I'm more than happy to pull it out cold, let you start it, rev it a bit (after it gets the oil through the system), listen for any noises you might be looking for, etc. When I bought the 85, I did not ride it. I was only concerned that it started, ran smoothly, and didn't have a cooked stator. It was as represented in the photos. I also understood I was buying a 37 year old machine that was going to require some work. We actually took the Triumph that I was wanting to sell, and just sold it to a dealer, and just did the exact same thing with my Partner's cruiser. We're on the hunt now for a GL1500 for him.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I sold my '98 GL1500, I required the money in my hand to test ride. If after his ride he wanted to back out, money would be returned on the spot. Sale completed.

Now thinking about selling my '13 GL1800 w/airbag (35000 miles) and awesome trailer. Cycle Trader will probably be my place to list

1 - 13 of 13 Posts