Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was cruising along about 65mph in 5th gear, indicator was lite, when low and behold I felt a jolt , the rpm's jumped up and I realized I was now in 4th gear. Shifted up to 5th gear again and kept myself on alert status for awhile.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Dang! Hope it's not a white '08 problem. :eek: How many miles do you have on it now? Mine's got 9700 and nothing like that's happened to me yet (knock on tupperware).

Ya don't suppose ya just inadvertently touched the shifter, do ya?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Chopin,

I am NO expert on internals of these bikes but I have had this happen on my 1500 and my 1100, both hondas.

I cannot back this up with science but I believe that you didn't use enough force to fully engage the gears. It rode half engaged until you gave it some throttle, the increased pressure caused it to slip out and then caught 4th.

I did this a couple of weeks ago on the wing and it was exactly what you described. I was getting a little lazy or "easing" the shifter trying not to be hard on the tranny.

Just an opinion using my experiences. I suspect you are being a little too nice on your beautiful bike. I gave the shifter a little harder push and hasn't happened since.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
In stop and go traffic I had the problem with not giving the shifter a good nudge and it jumped from second to neutral in traffic. I discovered and this works for me, that if I put my toe under the shifter and put a little pressure on it, when the gear change is made it engages better.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To all the below: Radar, your next ! ; love2ride, I am of your opinion as to the incident; Lady, the Wings are notorious rough shifters ( a complaint shared by many ), I will try your technique for a smoother shift, a little pressure up before the full toe force.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Chop, how long were you in OD before it downshifted? Some wings have had a problem with "ghost shifting" due to worn gears. Some times we don't fully engage the gears and they can slip back down. Keep an eye on it and if it continues, take it to the dealer and have it checked.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chop, how long were you in OD before it downshifted? Some wings have had a problem with "ghost shifting" due to worn gears. Some times we don't fully engage the gears and they can slip back down. Keep an eye on it and if it continues, take it to the dealer and have it checked.
I believe I was about 2 miles down the road at a constant speed of 60/ 65 mph. Knowing myself I always assume operator error, but I had my feet on the highway boards . Today I tootled around at city and highway speeds with no problem and easy shifting . I'll chalk it up to an " error repaired " for now.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Was that before or after your favorite cup of herbal tea dear Maestro?:D

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was that before or after your favorite cup of herbal tea dear Maestro?:D
Actually Matt I'm having a cup of powered barley grass melted in a mug of hot water. I like the chewable grade but I mis-ordered and bought the powder. I'm going green in more ways than one.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Actually Matt I'm having a cup of powered barley grass melted in a mug of hot water. I like the chewable grade but I mis-ordered and bought the powder. I'm going green in more ways than one.
How about I just send you a bale of alfalfa, that should last you all winter.:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts