Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my 83 Aspencade GL1100 out for the first time after putting my second stator in. The first one lasted a few days. This one lasted a few hours. I haven't checked the output yet but my voltmeter isn't going above 12 volts and that probably means that one of the windings is shot. This can't be a coincidence. Could there be something in the voltage regulator that is frying the stators?

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
So I took my 83 Aspencade GL1100 out for the first time after putting my second stator in. The first one lasted a few days. This one lasted a few hours. I haven't checked the output yet but my voltmeter isn't going above 12 volts and that probably means that one of the windings is shot. This can't be a coincidence. Could there be something in the voltage regulator that is frying the stators?
i haven't had to change my stator on my 1200 wing but i've been told to chane the stator and regulator at the same time

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Doc. I saw that thread last night, too. I think I'm going to go into the stator replacement business

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
Thanks, Doc. I saw that thread last night, too. I think I'm going to go into the stator replacement business
if i still have my 1200 wing when the staor goes i'm going to do a poorboy conversion

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless you can direct me, I've never seen a poorboy conversion for an 1100 that looks easier than pulling the engine and replacing the stator It takes me about 8 hrs and I spend more time looking for tools and parts that I've put down somewhere than working. Incidentally, I've just done a continuity test on my stator and everything looks good. I'll do an output test but maybe my regulator is shot. I'll see if I can pick one up this p.m.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Unless you can direct me, I've never seen a poorboy conversion for an 1100 that looks easier than pulling the engine and replacing the stator It takes me about 8 hrs and I spend more time looking for tools and parts that I've put down somewhere than working. Incidentally, I've just done a continuity test on my stator and everything looks good. I'll do an output test but maybe my regulator is shot. I'll see if I can pick one up this p.m.
It is recommended that you do replace your rectifier when replacing the stator, a bad rectifier can damage your stator.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yes cover the basics check and recheck the battery and it's connections also test each cell. If there is any doubt replace the battery.
Check for a current draw that could be draining the battery down just enough to over work the charging system. I also agree with the other fine people that even if all the other items work,replace them it is cheap insurance. If you need help with the test procedures speak up. I am sure someone will help.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
the poorboy kit is not model specific

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For some reason I thought that there was less room between the rad and the carbs on an 1100 than 1200 and the brackets were different. Maybe the threads I was reading were just guys who were building their own. I've had trouble tracking down the kit. Do you have a link?

Regarding my battery, I put in a new one this spring, so I'm not worried about it. My last stator lost continuity on one of the windings and that hasn't happened on this one (yet). But I am pretty sure I'm not getting the voltage I should be, although, as I said, I haven't checked the output of the stator. Maybe I'll replace the rectifier before I check the output so I don't cook the stator. Would you recommend a a new one or one from salvage if it checks out?

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
the poorboy kit does not fit between the radiator and carbs, the altornator hides under the left side of the fairing
send and email here for the alternator kit
[email protected]

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you can find my albums or pics on here (I say that because I always have trouble) :)
But I have a couple of pics in a album called Stella's conversion (I think) :D
She is a 1200 but I think the 1000 and 1100 are done the same way.
Jerry

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
If you can find my albums or pics on here (I say that because I always have trouble) :)
But I have a couple of pics in a album called Stella's conversion (I think) :D
She is a 1200 but I think the 1000 and 1100 are done the same way.
Jerry
the conversion is the same doesn't matter if its 1000, 1100, or 1200

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.