Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 200 Posts

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
We have had snow and frozen roads for three days now and it is raining now. I have used a trailer before. We will save two full days for traveling in the area that we wish to travel in. Both of us feel this is the right thing to do for us for this time of year.

Last April, we were gonna trailer to Salt Lake or Las Vegas and then ride in Arizona and points in between. We got delayed and ended up riding from Seattle to Sun Valley and then down to Vegas then a flip through Arizona and then back home through Boise, Twin Falls and then home. We had a great time.... 3500+ miles. Not sure the exact mileage as I didn't write down the odometer when we left. Two up pulling a trailer. It was quite an adventure.

This will be too. We will end up with more miles and more time to ride. Once we park the trailer, I see 2200 miles to New Orleans with out any distractions and we will be looking for those.

Thanks for the comments. Please keep the suggestions for routes and destination points of interest coming this way.

Also, I get to ride from Seattle to Salem the day before we trailer, so I will get my 5-6 hours of Northwest crap...... both coming and going. It is that way for me to get home too.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I take back what I said earlier and now think you should trailer. I never realized that this is a jumping off point for the real ride and your reasons seem good to me. Now a question for you - "When you trailer the bikes do you cover them?" The reason I ask, which might seem silly after my last reply, is because I am taking my GW to Florida sometime after Christmas and I am also not driving it. I don't want salt on my bike but I am more afraid of the chafing from the cover.

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
We have had snow and frozen roads for three days now and it is raining now. I have used a trailer before. We will save two full days for traveling in the area that we wish to travel in. Both of us feel this is the right thing to do for us for this time of year.

Last April, we were gonna trailer to Salt Lake or Las Vegas and then ride in Arizona and points in between. We got delayed and ended up riding from Seattle to Sun Valley and then down to Vegas then a flip through Arizona and then back home through Boise, Twin Falls and then home. We had a great time.... 3500+ miles. Not sure the exact mileage as I didn't write down the odometer when we left. Two up pulling a trailer. It was quite an adventure.

This will be too. We will end up with more miles and more time to ride. Once we park the trailer, I see 2200 miles to New Orleans with out any distractions and we will be looking for those.

Thanks for the comments. Please keep the suggestions for routes and destination points of interest coming this way.

Also, I get to ride from Seattle to Salem the day before we trailer, so I will get my 5-6 hours of Northwest crap...... both coming and going. It is that way for me to get home too.
Shat! Get on down to La. the best way you can. Eschew the bravado. Run, Larry, run. If you get hung up, I'll be in Phoenix in early April .

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I take back what I said earlier and now think you should trailer. I never realized that this is a jumping off point for the real ride and your reasons seem good to me. Now a question for you - "When you trailer the bikes do you cover them?" The reason I ask, which might seem silly after my last reply, is because I am taking my GW to Florida sometime after Christmas and I am also not driving it. I don't want salt on my bike but I am more afraid of the chafing from the cover.
When you ride it, it doesn't have a cover. The only cover I would use on a bike being trailer-ed is an enclosed trailer.

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well I am preparing the bike for my trip. I have fresh oil in the bike, a new set of saddlebag inserts, a new top rack bag, and a brand new coffee cup holder that hangs off of the ram mounts.

I need new brake shoes on the front. The rear were replaced 750 miles ago when I put on the new front tire. I have to put my stock windshield back on for the trip.

I also bought myself a new set of electric pant liners. I am anxious to try out my new JetBoil stove / french press coffee maker.

My concealed weapons permit came in today. Now I have to decide if I am gonna go armed or not. New Mexico and California do not recognize the Washington state concealed weapons permit so I will have to pack it away deep in a saddle bag with the bullets packed separately.

11 days to go as I will be leaving at first light on the 6th of Dec.

I am excited about this trip, for sure. Still open to suggestions in regards to sight seeing destinations and free camping spots.... those types of things. I know I am gonna do the "three sisters" west of San Antonio and take in Big Bend National Park.

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Shat! Get on down to La. the best way you can. Eschew the bravado. Run, Larry, run. If you get hung up, I'll be in Phoenix in early April .
If I am in Phoenix in April, it will be a fly and ride for a long weekend. I won't make three trips in less than a year to Phoenix. Too many other destinations and not enough time off.

·
Premium Member
11,028 Posts
I feel your excitement of your trip. If you have time to post, I will follow. I don't know how you are going to have the time because it looks like some full days there Larry. Eric

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I feel your excitement of your trip. If you have time to post, I will follow. I don't know how you are going to have the time because it looks like some full days there Larry. Eric
It gets dark pretty early.... gonna do something. And an hour at Starbucks with hot beverage and some wifi is a nice way to end a day.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Hey Larry. On one of your posts on another thread, you said you were gonna be in Belton, Tx. I am assuming you are changing your routing on the trip. Belton is one hell of a long way from I-10. I assume that when you get to San Antonio, you are gonna go North on I-35 through Austin and on to Belton. Is that the plan? Just wondering..Glad you got the CHL license.:D

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey Larry. On one of your posts on another thread, you said you were gonna be in Belton, Tx. I am assuming you are changing your routing on the trip. Belton is one hell of a long way from I-10. I assume that when you get to San Antonio, you are gonna go North on I-35 through Austin and on to Belton. Is that the plan? Just wondering..Glad you got the CHL license.:D
Yes, I have an old college buddy who lives in Belton, TX and though I would go see him on my exit route when meeting my riding buddy who will be coming back down from Missouri for our return trip back. That is about the time that I am going to take in the 3 sisters ride on the way. That is very close to your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Ok, just wondering...By the way, it was 82 here yesterday, a norther blew in last night and dropped about 1 inch of needed rain and its 58 here this morning and going to 32 tonight. Wind out of the north at 25 gusting to 35. Typical. :eek:

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ok, just wondering...By the way, it was 82 here yesterday, a norther blew in last night and dropped about 1 inch of needed rain and its 58 here this morning and going to 32 tonight. Wind out of the north at 25 gusting to 35. Typical. :eek:
Are the winds always that severe in Texas? We hardly get any wind here in the Seattle area.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Are the winds always that severe in Texas? We hardly get any wind here in the Seattle area.
20 to 25 is common around here. 35 + is severe. Yes, except in the dog days of summer, the wind is almost always blowing. You'll get used to it by the time you get to San Antonio from El Paso. By then you'll be an old pro. Prevailing wind is from the south so you'll find its a quartering wind on the leg from El Paso to San Antone. Its kinda strange but on the FJR the wind is way more bothersome and it only weighs 100 or so pounds less than the wing. The wing seems to handle it much better even though it is a larger bike with a huge windshield.

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
When we ride over the pass to the eastern part of the state, we do get strong winds, but most of the time on this side of the mountain, it rarely blows at all. I will be expecting wind then. My brother is wintering down in Mission Tx and he said it blows every day at least 15 mph.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
When we ride over the pass to the eastern part of the state, we do get strong winds, but most of the time on this side of the mountain, it rarely blows at all. I will be expecting wind then. My brother is wintering down in Mission Tx and he said it blows every day at least 15 mph.
Wind will be a companion on your trip. No doubt about that. Also bring some long johns cause it can and most likely will get cold while your here. Cold snaps usually last 2 to 3 days then it warms back up. I have to run to the store right now and the wind is out of the north at a steady 20, gusting to 36. Its 52 degrees right now so its Goldwing time....Giddy Yup hossy....

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Did a dry run with all of my gear on the bike. Rode down to Eatonville, WA, 160 mile round trip to a friends place to borrow his Spot Tracker. I am replacing the front brakes tomorrow and I will be all set for the trip. I am leaving first thing Tuesday morning to ride down to Salem.

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Nah, Larry has heated gear. Ride the bikes if you want it to be special.

Anything else just make it another trip. Not Epic
We are taking half of your advice. We are trailering to Redding, CA, which is just on the other side of the mountain passes in Northern California. From Salem, Oregon, it will be a 8-9 hour drive. We will be leaving late after noon of the 6th, so that will put is in Redding CA for a early morning start on the 7th.

Sunshine baby!!

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Changed oil, put on new brake pads and some final adjustments. I am pretty much all set for the trip.

I bought a Kindle Fire for internet use on the road. Nice tablet actually.

21 - 40 of 200 Posts