Honda Goldwing Forum banner

181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Ft Davis was interesting. I did not know it was an active fort for such a long period of time. I think it was decommissioned in 1992.

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #183 (Edited)
My camp kitchen.... which rode right in front of my Coke Cooler on the hitch rack behind the bike. I put it in a black bag because I didn't want Ron to worry about me looking like the Beverly Hillbilly coming to town. (All the same color)

The camp kitchen bag itself is a container which holds water and acts as a kitchen sink. The jetboil stove can boil water in 1.5 minutes. Included was some freeze dried dinners, hot chocolate, instant oat meal, a french press, a Melita drip coffee maker and enough vacuum packed fresh ground Starbucks for a month on the road. (I hate bad coffee) On the road, I had taken to going into the truck stops and getting hot water and making my own rather than drinking that stuff they sold.

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #184 (Edited)
Also, it might look like I was over loaded. First, the Interstate has the same gross weight capability as the SE models but weights 65 pounds less as it does not have reverse or the build in air compressor.

Second, all of my bags were not over loaded. For example, the Kurkeyan bag that sat behind me housed only my riding gear and electrics. Nothing else. The large bag under it only held my camp cot and camp chair.

The rack bag only had a sleeping bag and a goose down comforter. My saddle bags had tools in one and my clothes in the other. My top bag carried my lap top and a half cap helmet.

My .22 pistol was in my windshield bag and my .38 was in a case on the tool side. I carried the normal tool kit for the Wing and a socket set, metric wrench set, allen wrench set, a mulit bit screw driver, portable air compressor and tire plug kit, and lots of bullets for the pistols in case we found the cartel or a place to practice shooting in the desert. :)

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
I have to mention that I had a car tire on the bike. It now has 16,000 miles on it and according to the tire tread depth gauge, I guess it will go another 15,000 miles before I have to replace that $87 tire.

As far as I am concerned.... I am no longer concerned about a car tire on the back of a wing. My case is closed on this matter. I just had to mention it, can you believe it, ONE LAST TIME. (Unless I see a thread on a car tire.... but I will cease to hijack threads to plug my car tire.)

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Larry, tell me about the "tent cot". I don't know that I have ever seen one of those things. Looks very interesting. Is it waterproof? How big when folded? Cost? Where do you get it? How heavy? Did you pack it or did he carry it on the trailer? Tell me everything from the ground up. And post more pics of it if you have 'em. Thanks and glad your home. I'm still P.O.'d that you wouldn't slow down long enough for me to catch up to you around Burnet, Lampasas....grrrrr. Isaac:D

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
It is on sale right now too!

Here is a factory picture of the tent cot:
Since he was going north and I south, I hauled all of my own gear. We did share a case of bottled water in his cooler on his trailer, but other than that I was traveling solo and self sufficient.

This is the tent without the rain fly. The tent secures in each corner of the cot and the rain fly goes over the tent and snaps to some quick snaps. The rain fly also has some optional line fasteners as well.

I was in this tent in New Mexico and the wind blew 30 mph after it rained. I stayed dry and warm.

My cot is a heavy duty (weight limit 350) single cot that weights too much, but I needed a sturdy cot.

This setup is for my solo camping. It is comfortable, but limited in space. You have to be ready for bed when you crawl into this baby.

Also, I chose this tent specifically for solo trips. My reason was that I could pull into an interstate rest stop, set this up immediately adjacent to my motorcycle and get some sleep and not be hassled by some security officer who is claiming that there is "no camping." I would justify it by the obvious.... my cot is on the parking space adjacent to the motorcycle. I have yet to do this, but I am prepared to do so.

When I use the trailer, I have what I call my "bowling alley tent" that would sleep 9 if you followed the recommendation sleeping order.... I also have two camp chairs, a folding card table, a shade setup, a two burner stove and a queen size air bed with a small aluminum bedside table, fishing poles and a chess and checkers set, deck of playing cards and a cup of dice.

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Larry, tell me about the "tent cot". I don't know that I have ever seen one of those things. Looks very interesting. Is it waterproof? How big when folded? Cost? Where do you get it? How heavy? Did you pack it or did he carry it on the trailer? Tell me everything from the ground up. And post more pics of it if you have 'em. Thanks and glad your home. I'm still P.O.'d that you wouldn't slow down long enough for me to catch up to you around Burnet, Lampasas....grrrrr. Isaac:D
If you would have previewed that intention, I would have made myself available. We were on a mission so we had to keep on trucking. We missed several forum members along the way. It is harder to do that people realize when the weather is inclement as it was.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
If you would have previewed that intention, I would have made myself available. We were on a mission so we had to keep on trucking. We missed several forum members along the way. It is harder to do that people realize when the weather is inclement as it was.
Really....If you would have followed your "Published Route", you would not have even come close to Burnet, Lampasas, Ft. Hood. If you recall you were going to go to San Antonio first and then on to Belton. That was your published route. When I saw you were in Van Horn, thats when I told you about the coyotes, deer and armidillos thinking you were headed to S.A. I go out messing around and to a dr. appointment in Burnet and come home hours later and check and you are where I had been 2 hours earlier. By then I was knee deep in mud and looked like I had been wrasslin hogs. Couldn't contact you so just had to watch you lope on by. So, there was no earthly way I could have previewed my intention.....grrrrr....Anyway, thanks for the info on the tent cot. Gotta look that up. Just glad you made it home OK. Later..Isaac

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Really....If you would have followed your "Published Route", you would not have even come close to Burnet, Lampasas, Ft. Hood. If you recall you were going to go to San Antonio first and then on to Belton. That was your published route. When I saw you were in Van Horn, thats when I told you about the coyotes, deer and armidillos thinking you were headed to S.A. I go out messing around and to a dr. appointment in Burnet and come home hours later and check and you are where I had been 2 hours earlier. By then I was knee deep in mud and looked like I had been wrasslin hogs. Couldn't contact you so just had to watch you lope on by. So, there was no earthly way I could have previewed my intention.....grrrrr....Anyway, thanks for the info on the tent cot. Gotta look that up. Just glad you made it home OK. Later..Isaac
We were making decisions on the fly. We didn't make the mileage we planned so we had to change up our route so Steve could get on his way north. I would have doubled back through Lampasas and doing so anyway as it was nice riding in that area, but the rain made me beat feet to San Antonio.

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
i did pee in the Alamo..... and had some breakfast in the market across the street. San Antonio is a nice town. If it hadn't been raining, I might walked the river walk.

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
You didn't warn me about the wild pigs. I am glad I had my gun loaded.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
You didn't warn me about the wild pigs. I am glad I had my gun loaded.
I didn't warn you about them cause I never thought you might try to shoot one. Especially with a .22. I have to tell you that in retrospect I am glad you didn't hit the little sucker. They don't run around by themselves. Javalinas run in packs and although you only saw one, I guarantee there were more there. Had you hit him and went out there, you might have had Mom and Dad trying to do you in. They get up to about 100 lbs and are tuff to kill and mean as hell if wounded. They are very protective of their young too. That .22 would have just made him mad. Makes for a good story though. :D

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I didn't warn you about them cause I never thought you might try to shoot one. Especially with a .22. I have to tell you that in retrospect I am glad you didn't hit the little sucker. They don't run around by themselves. Javalinas run in packs and although you only saw one, I guarantee there were more there. Had you hit him and went out there, you might have had Mom and Dad trying to do you in. They get up to about 100 lbs and are tuff to kill and mean as hell if wounded. They are very protective of their young too. That .22 would have just made him mad. Makes for a good story though. :D
:) ya caught me. Like someone else said, don't let the facts in the way of a good story.

I did shoot a few times at that sucker, but in reality, I just wanted to scare him. He watched me like I was watching him and I don't think he really knew I was shooting at him. Had I hit him, he would have lit out and I am pretty sure I wouldn't run after him into the desert with my .22 pistol in hand, leaving my bike and everything I had along on the side of the road.

I also thought about shooting that coyote in New Mexico but my gun was packed away as there isn't a concealed permit worth anything in New Mexico.

·
Super Moderator
14,473 Posts
i did pee in the Alamo.....
I hope you really meant "at" when you visited there. Otherwise there will be a bunch from Texas coming to pay you a visit. Really enjoyed the pictures and trip.

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
It is symbolic... peeing in the Alamo. I would recommend it.

The story is much bigger in the history books than in real life. I have no disrespect for Texans, but the Alamo is much smaller in size than I had in my mind as a young kid reading about Jim Bowie and the likes.

Tombstone didn't do anything for me either, but I keep thinking about some western song.... about West of El Paso..... Now I can relate to being a cowpoke out there.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
It is symbolic... peeing in the Alamo. I would recommend it.

The story is much bigger in the history books than in real life. I have no disrespect for Texans, but the Alamo is much smaller in size than I had in my mind as a young kid reading about Jim Bowie and the likes.
Well yes, it was a Mission, not a hotel. I know the movies made it look like it was the size of The White House, but all the missions were relatively small. You know John Wayne's ghost haunts the Alamo? Did you see him? Some say that their urinal has flushed without them touching it and they have heard John Wayne laugh at the same time....Didn't have that happen did ya? :D

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Well yes, it was a Mission, not a hotel. I know the movies made it look like it was the size of The White House, but all the missions were relatively small. You know John Wayne's ghost haunts the Alamo? Did you see him? Some say that their urinal has flushed without them touching it and they have heard John Wayne laugh at the same time....Didn't have that happen did ya? :D
No that happened to me in Yuma. :)

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #199 (Edited)
Texas is something.....

We stopped for the night in Van Horn, TX. There is a restaurant there, called Chuys Restaurant, which is famous for being John Madden's Mexican Food stop over when he traveled by his bus through the southwest. We had no idea what was in store for us.

It was Monday night. 7:00 pm. We walked into the John Madden bar. There was a football game on. It was the Dallas Cowboys vs. New Your Giants. 37 - 34 was the final. For half of us, it didn't matter...... but I am a football fan and I used to live in El Paso, so I have been a undercover Dallas fan all my life. (Go Seattle Seahawks.... Also a Minnesota Vikings fan.... having lived in the mid west.)

That is when I notice all of the John Madden stuff on the walls. But what really got my attention was the 30 or so locals.... (all of Mexican descent) watching the Cowboys playing on the big screen tv. The audio was in Spanish and there wasn't an English word spoken in the bar. I thought I was in Mexico and they had a soccer game on. There was hooting and hollering, but all in Spanish. I had to watch the graphics on the tv to keep up what was going on, but it was obvious when Dallas scored or did something good. It was great.

By the way, Steve had the John Madden Special off of the menu. I had burritos and enchiladas... beans and rice. Steve's looked better. We got out of there for less than $25 including the tip. Stop there if you go through there.

Tell them John sent you.

If you watch this video, you will see all of the pictures on the wall. They are of stars who stopped to eat there as well as pictures of the many different Madden Buses as he always had a new one to ride in.

181 - 200 of 200 Posts