Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted my initial epic journey on a forum that I frequent to get some ideas and route information regarding my trip to the southwest. I have been surprised by the responses from forum members in their offer to assist in route information, offers of hospitality and even oil changes! Many of those are done by private messages so they won't be available for full viewing, however, you can read the public forum on this trip. Pictures, real time GPS data and hopefully frequent updates and summaries. Come along on this journey with me........ do so at your leisure. No, I won't be doing this on FACEBOOK. (maybe)

If you are interested in following the journey.... I will be keeping an open forum thread on this trip at this location:

Trip thread

This thread will give you the access to the GPS Spot Checker information to know my exact location any time of day or night.

Also, if you would like to read more about this the original thread is here:

Original thread

Of course I will answer questions via email and cell phone, but if you find this interesting, please do follow along on my journey online.

I will be checking this thread from time to time and answering posts from this one but the responses have been 4 to 1 on the other forum. (There are 35,000 members over there.)

Thanks for the suggestions and comments and I will checking in on this forum as we plan and execute the trip.

·
Premium Member
7,191 Posts
As long as your posting pics....I will hang with it.

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This is a pre view for me and you.

Big Bend National Park is one of the largest, most remote, and least-visited national parks in the lower 48 United States.

I wanna pee in the Rio Grande, which runs 250 miles through the park..... It looks much different between El Paso and Juarez.... I lived there as a kid.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Make sure you go to the McDonald Observatory when your in the Big Bend area. Have a safe trip and keep 'er tween the ditches. Enjoy...:D

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are going trailer the bikes to a small town east of Los Angeles using Steve's truck and trailer. Here is the math and thought process:

1100 miles one way x 2 = 2200 / 13 mpg = 169 gallons of gas X 3.5 = $592/2 = $296 each.

2200 both ways / 40 = 55 gallons X 3.5 = $192.00 each cost of riding bike to Los Angeles.

$296 - $192 = $104 (difference in bike vs truck costs per person)

The question is this: Is the use of the pickup trailer combination from the northwest to Los Angeles worth an additional costs of $104 in fuel costs.

The list of having a truck in the Los Angeles area:

1. One day trip both ways. Saves two days of travel time as we can travel at night and switch off driving to keep the driver fresh. Allows for two extra days to ride in the southwest rather in the rainy northwest / west. More of a guarantee that we will arrive back home for Christmas, as the travel north is easier in the truck.

2. One vehicle two drivers - less effort to get to Los Angeles. We arrive somewhat rested.

3. If one bike has a serious break down or accident, the trailer is available to bring the disabled bike home.

4. North heavy weather clothing is not needed in the south.

What is not factored in this equation is the extra wear and tear on the truck and the cost of storage while we are on our bike ride is unknown at this point.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
We are going trailer the bikes to a small town east of Los Angeles using Steve's truck and trailer. Here is the math and thought process:
:confused::confused:

Why?

The question is this: Is the use of the pickup trailer combination from the northwest to Los Angeles worth an additional costs of $104 in fuel costs.
This is just one Ole Fossil's opinion. If you aren't riding the bikes the whole way your journey just became less "Epic".:(

It's about the ride not just the destination. Not dissing you here just saying.....:confused:

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
Trailer ! The start of this odyssey smells more septic than epic. Ah heck. Trailer the bikes to La. Not much different than me flying to Phoenix and renting a bike. If Steve is riding on a MC tire that's 2,200 less miles of wear and tear and he'll have a better chance of completing the en(tire) trip on the same tire.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
i guess it would depend on how cold it would be on the ride to l.a. and from l.a. back to seattle. taking the truck to l.a would free up some space for luggage though

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
It is refreshing to know that forum members have such an interest in our welfare.

Using the trailer does lessen the adventure and increases the costs. It also looks American made!

I do have electric gear and I will be bringing that along. Texas and New Mexico are not warm states in Dec, but I don't think I will be needing my snow mobile suite or the human condom that was going to be necessary for the trip down the coast.. My Joe Rocket 3/4 length Ballistic coat, layered with long johns and my Gerbering coat liner, boot liners and gloves should keep me warm. One pair of Frog Toggs will be sufficient for the southwest tour.

I think we both have been pissed on enough living in the northwest..... Steve and I have both done the California coast and will hopefully live long enough to have the opportunity to do many more times. We are not that far away being on the left coast. Also, we just don't know what is in store for us on the return trip up the coast and it is important for us to be home for Christmas. We both would lose out if we had to hole up in Los Angeles waiting for a storm system to pass the left coast before we headed north. It could mean round trip air fare from Los Angeles at Christmas rates to get home for Xmas.

Our objective is to get south fast and then east on a more of a sightseeing tour. We both need to get out of this constant rain fog we are in here and will be for the next 5 months. El Nino be damned!

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Nah, Larry has heated gear. Ride the bikes if you want it to be special.

Anything else just make it another trip. Not Epic

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nah, Larry has heated gear. Ride the bikes if you want it to be special.
I do have heated gear.... and Steve has a Santa suite that he has to wear on Dec. 25th. If we don't make it back for Christmas, he might as well just stay down there and find a drug cartel to argue with.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
I do have heated gear.... and Steve has a Santa suite that he has to wear on Dec. 25th. If we don't make it back for Christmas, he might as well just stay down there and find a drug cartel to argue with.
Larry I'm truly not trying to add to any anxiety it's just that when you started the talk it was to be monumental. Towing vehicles for over 25% of the mileage takes away from it & doesn't equal the intention that's all. I would either leave earlier, ride harder or split earlier than intended so he can get back on time. Just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

Again I'm sure you guys would have fun either way so enjoy whatever choice you make.

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Larry I'm truly not trying to add to any anxiety it's just that when you started the talk it was to be monumental. Towing vehicles for over 25% of the mileage takes away from it & doesn't equal the intention that's all. I would either leave earlier, ride harder or split earlier than intended so he can get back on time. Just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

Again I'm sure you guys would have fun either way so enjoy whatever choice you make.
You and I agree on this and if I was going truly solo, there is no doubt about it. As always there is compromises when you add other people to the mix. Steve is also a hardened rider and that was something that he wanted to do, was leave earlier. I can't leave earlier and he has to be home for Christmas. (I should be home too, but I got permission.)

Another option would have been to ride together one way....and we finish our rides on different schedules. That way I could have rode to Florida, but after all of the discussion, the trailer was the best option for us at this time.

LA to New Orleans is still 2,000 miles one way. We will get our riding in. :)

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is my preliminary route suggestions to Steve for our trip planning. I welcome suggestions to alternative routes off of this, as well as things to see.

http://mapq.st/sMkFU9

As it stands, it is a 4400 mile motorcycle trip. About half of what I originally had thought of doing.

·
Premium Member
17,129 Posts
This time of year I wouldn't try to ride a bike over the mountains is southern Oregon and northern Cal. been there done that is a car this time or year, the weather can really suck. If you go the coastal route, you probably won't get the snow but the weather, well been there done that too this time of year. Trailer the bike south out of the weather then enjoy the ride.
That Big Bend country is beautiful.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Larry - The only reason I would take the truck would be if I thought my bike was going to breakdown. But you know an earthquake could hit too, and a plane could fall from the sky etc... When I went coast to coast I had alternator problems and the boys had to push me every time I had to start the bike. It became an important part of our story telling for years. For me the journey is not the destination but roads between the two points, the people you travel with, the people you meet and the great views and smells that appear around every corner. Now I'm not sure how COLD it is in rainy Seattle but it would have to be darn cold not to ride. Either way, it should be a great trip.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts