Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have upgraded your seats? Come on be truthful. I love the seat for booting around and small trips, But more then an hour or so i start to get a little Numb...lol

What would you suggest as a great alternative?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The seat on my '81IS. has been re-upholstered, with a little extra padding installed. It has a smooth, two-tone leather covering, instead of the original diamond-tuck pattern. It rides really well, for me and my big butt...;)

·
Super Moderator
15,254 Posts
cannot afford to replace the seat right now so i use a gel pad. it not only adds some comfort but it raises me up enough to streighten my cramped legs some

·
Super Moderator
15,254 Posts
it raises me up about 3/4 an inch. found what looks to be a saddelman road sofa and i'm going to look at it today

·
Registered
7 Posts
GW Seat

I have owned a number of bikes and finally settled in on an 08 GW with comfort, premium sound and Navi.
I am 6'2" with 34" inseam. I felt the legs were a little cramped and started looking for a new seat.
In the past I have used Corbin-Mustang and recently Ultimate Seats out of Canada.
Corbins are hard and need to be broken in like a saddle for a horse. When you do that it is formed to you but still doesn't have a lot of padding.
Mustang can be ordered with gel and is much more cushy than Corbin but you don't want too soft because you do need some firm support.
My latest purchase for a different bike was Ultimate and I was going to buy one for my wing but held off. They offer three different heights of seat. Low profile for the vertically challenged--standard for those that are comfortable with the same OEM seat height--and the raised seat for the tall or long legs. I think they call it the King seat and the seating portion is raised 1" or 1 1/2" and the tailbone portion is moved back by either 1" or 1 1/2". Moves you up and back. The workmanship and seat lives up to its advertisement. Right out of the box the seat felt great and never disappointed me--unlike Corbin and Mustang. The downside for Ultimate--they currently do not offer the heated version--don't know why.
I took my stock Honda seat to a local Auto Upholstery shop and had them raise the seat 1" to 1 1/2"--actually made the seating surface flat--raised it to the level of the side wings of the seating surface. Then they cut the back support portion in half and eliminated the bucket seat wings. I think the seat came out exactly what I was looking for by giving me the leg room. I could have but did not add any gel pad or denser foam. The shop explained to me that although gel is the latest rage he wouldn't recommend it because the gel retains heat and is actually much hotter seating surface in the summer. BTW--the modifications only cost $275 and he was able to retain the stock cover but modified the cover to follow the changes in the foam. I was able to retain my heating elements and all is well in the butt dept.

Hitec 1

·
Registered
10 Posts
wow I am a bit surprised to hear anyone on a g.w has fatigue after riding a while.When I had my c90t suzuki blvd, I would need a rest after about 120 miles.On my 2008 g.w., i have yet to get tired while riding for a long period of time.I wonder if my seat is any diffrent from other year goldwings. I experiance a great deal of comfort from my seat. good luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,254 Posts
i found a stock seat for my 1500 and can ride with it for as long as anyother seat. it's not the comfort of the seat but the height or lack of hight in my case. got the aftermarket seat too and still use the gelpad to raise me up, it's more comfortable and firmer than the stock seat but still about a half inch too low. with the gelpad i am a quarter inch or so too high and need to raise the windshield up but my legs feel good

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ultimate Seat will take your butt to heaven

I used to use a sheep skin and beads with the stock seat to break things up on the long rides. Picked up the ULTIMATE seat in Spring '08 and logged 14k miles in the next two months. I love my Ultimate seat and gave the beads away. The pics on their web site to not do the seat justice. I went custom on mine as I met them at Bike Week. Tried the Corbin side by side with the Ultimate and would have to say the Ultimate was a huge difference.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What do you think about lowering?

...I took my stock Honda seat to a local Auto Upholstery shop and had them raise the seat 1" to 1 1/2"--actually made the seating surface flat--raised it to the level of the side wings of the seating surface. ...BTW--the modifications only cost $275 and he was able to retain the stock cover but modified the cover to follow the changes in the foam. I was able to retain my heating elements and all is well in the butt dept.

Hitec 1
I'm one of those vertically challenged folks with a 27" inseam. Do you think there is enough foam in those seats to allow a modification in the opposite direction and still leave enough padding?

Sometimes I look a little silly at a light straddling my Wing on my toes. :)

Even though I don't have the same problem with leg length as you, my legs do cramp and longer rides if I don't stretch them. After a year or more of riding, I finally broke down and bought a set of highway pegs. I don't use them a lot, but they are much appreciated on the longer rides to get a stretch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The stock seat does have a lot of foam between the pan and the seat cover. If you do attempt this the upholstery shop will tell youif it can be done. I would think they would remove all of the foam and replace with a higher density foam and possibly add a gel pad. That way they could cut down on the height without cutting down on the comfort. Better than tipping the bike on its side!
HiTec1

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for the Advice

Thanks for the advice on the seat foam. I haven't really had a problem with using my toes to balance the bike, it's just I'd like to have more friction surface to work with than the ball of my foot.

I'll have to take the seat to a local shop and see what they can do (I don't want to loose my seat heat). I know there are custom seats out there now with heat, but who wants the pricetag: $1200+

Thanks again,

·
Registered
15 Posts
going with the base king seat( no back rest for now). i think the ultimate seats are kept in stock, not build to suit. they state; 1 1/2 move back, 1/2 inch taller.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts