Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking all over the net for information about removing the seat on my Goldwing. The owner's manual gives no info. Can anyone tell me how or where I can find out how to remove the Wing seat? I'll be installing (or having installed) a Utopia backrest and this call for seat removal.

Will appreciate any info on which Honda manual shows a description of how to remove the seat. I'm not very good with mechanical things but I wan't to know how to do this.

Thanks In Advance,
T-Rex

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seat Removal

T-Rex

On an 1800 the rear seat has two hand grips for the passenger. Those grips also screw into the frame. Take the 4 bolts out and move the seat backwards. Make sure your trunk is closed. When you reinstall makes sure the front tab goes in the correct place.

That should do it.

Coastie

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
T-Rex

On an 1800 the rear seat has two hand grips for the passenger. Those grips also screw into the frame. Take the 4 bolts out and move the seat backwards. Make sure your trunk is closed. When you reinstall makes sure the front tab goes in the correct place.

That should do it.

Coastie
It's also easier off and on if you open the trunk lid, remove 2 phillips head screws securing the passenger back rest, close the lid, remove the back rest by pulling up.
Also, if you have the Comfort System, don't forget to unplug the seat and passenger back rest before you remove them completely.
Don't forget to plug them back in! Don't ask why I'm telling you not to forget the plugging back in:D

·
Registered
466 Posts
I disagree, all you have to do is remove the screws holding the passenger hand rails, open the trunk, pull the seat back then lift the front on the seat to clear the tank plastic, lift up then disconnect the seat heater plug, (if equipt )
Re install it in the same reverse order. I have had my seat off several times. It is the easiest thing you will ever do to your wing!
Seat comes off easier than putting the key in the ignition!

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I haven't tried this yet but will be doing so to install my mp3 player.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I disagree, all you have to do is remove the screws holding the passenger hand rails, open the trunk, pull the seat back then lift the front on the seat to clear the tank plastic, lift up then disconnect the seat heater plug, (if equipt )
Re install it in the same reverse order. I have had my seat off several times. It is the easiest thing you will ever do to your wing!
Seat comes off easier than putting the key in the ignition!
Very simple to do this way. I was a little hesitant at first, but it's a piece of cake.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seat Removal Gold Wing

Thanks for the all the post concerning the seat removal process. I've copied all the posts and will pass them to the man who will install the back rest.
Thanks Again,
T-Rex

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have never gotten my seat off with out first opening the trunk.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I gave this a try and agree that opening the trunk makes the process easier. It creats a gap where the very back of the seat can lift up into, giving more room to slide the whole seat back to disengage the front tabs. Then the seat pivots up and comes out easily.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
For any of us that plan on doing much dismantling and farkling on our bikes, the Service manual is worth it's weight in gold (and the sucker's pretty heavy). Clymer are OK, but the Honda manual is far more accurate, although it isn't perfect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Service Manual

For any of us that plan on doing much dismantling and farkling on our bikes, the Service manual is worth it's weight in gold (and the sucker's pretty heavy). Clymer are OK, but the Honda manual is far more accurate, although it isn't perfect.
I agree. Hve them for both my Harleys. Where is the best (and cheapest) place to buy them?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree. Hve them for both my Harleys. Where is the best (and cheapest) place to buy them?
I got my manual from Everett PowerSports, a seller on eBay. Brand new, shrink wrapped with the updates, and free shipping for $89.95. Phone number is 425-347-4545. Based in Everett, Washington.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts