Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some riders I see have sheep skins on their seats and others use gel pads. One rider I met today says he never goes on a long ride without the gel pad. I am wondering about the advantages of these as I am getting the bike ready for a long cross country ride next spring. Any thoughts are always appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I have added the Walmart gel pad for travel and it does help. I had the gel inserts built into my Saddleman Road Sofa seat and that was the best...

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I use a sheep skin for long rides,keeps you from sweating and a little extra padding.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i use a gelpad but not for comfort but because it raises me up another 3/4 an inch, my seat is too low

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to try a gel pad too to get the little extra height. Where can I get one that is not too expensive. Charlie is the one from walmart for a car? We have Walmart in Canada but I have never seen items for a motorcycle in them.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
the ones at walmart are for a car but work on a bike. i plan on getting a gelpad from walmart for my 1200 wing

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I picked the one up from Wal-Mart in the auto section, fit's great on the seat. Going to try it out in about two weeks when I take a trip to the mountains.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are several mentions of a gel pad at Walmart, but I haven't been able to locate it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
There are several mentions of a gel pad at Walmart, but I haven't been able to locate it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I found mine in the Auto Dept. by the steering wheel covers. One note, I left mine on the bike yesterday in 105 degree heat for about 2 hours. Then I hopped on and darn near blistered my boys. Advice is to take it off if stopped for a long time in the heat or cover it with your jacket. That jel retains heat like mad.:eek:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I found mine in the Auto Dept. by the steering wheel covers. One note, I left mine on the bike yesterday in 105 degree heat for about 2 hours. Then I hopped on and darn near blistered my boys. Advice is to take it off if stopped for a long time in the heat or cover it with your jacket. That jel retains heat like mad.:eek:
Thanks for the reply.

I was looking on their website and found nothing. Thought if I found it there the wife could pick it up when she goes to work tonight. I'll make it trip to the store and look myself now.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I was looking on their website and found nothing. Thought if I found it there the wife could pick it up when she goes to work tonight. I'll make it trip to the store and look myself now.

Thanks again.
i looked on walmarts website a few years ago for the gelpad and couldn't find it. when i go pick one up i'm going to see if there is an item number on it that can be looked up on the website

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
i looked on walmarts website a few years ago for the gelpad and couldn't find it. when i go pick one up i'm going to see if there is an item number on it that can be looked up on the website
Let me know if you can't find it, cause if they still have them here, maybe I can pick one up for you. If I go by there, I will look for some sort of number for you. OK. Later...Isaac P.S. They have several kinds. Some for bicycles, you don't want that one and one that looks like 2 elephant ears stuck together, you don't want that one either. The one I have is black, shaped to fit in a car seat and has a carry strap on one end that tucks nicely between the GW seat and the gas tank to keep it in place.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i've seen the one you have issac but that was at the walmart in bellville, mi but i am going to check the livonia, mi store cause its closer to home

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
i've seen the one you have issac but that was at the walmart in bellville, mi but i am going to check the livonia, mi store cause its closer to home
OK, the number on the tag is 60-2865W4 Gel Seat Cushion. And its $19.95.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Can't believe I found the receipt for the gel cell....It's listed as Gel ST Cush......004685414287................$19.96.... Now you have some numbers to play with...:D

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
check out previous thread

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7709

post number 3 is picture of my seat with a gelpad underneath it.

read the first couple posts to see what was done.

you don't have to put it away
you don't forget it
it doesn't get hot
it sopps up water like a sponge

These are hard to locate in store. As mentioned, around the car seat covers shoved in a cubby hole.

I love mine.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
If you really want to add some long distance comfort and a bit more elevation, buy two Wally Mart gel pads and double up the pads under one cover. Mike did a recent ride around America ( 13,000 + miles ) on a doubled up Wally Mart Gel Pads.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Ah, no fair Mike, you used two of them? Just kidding, fair play to ya. Yer backside recovered yet?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
no luck for me searching using the numbers so i'm heading to bellville sunday morning

1 - 20 of 24 Posts