Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after putting a coupla thousand miles on Buster over this first three weeks I'm thinkin I wanna do something with the factory seat. When riding solo, the cheeks get pretty warm to the point of being uncomfortable. The beads work good and create air flow, but they raise me up an inch and cause pressure points on the inside of the cheeks and legs.

When riding two up and scooted a bit forward, either with or without the backrest, the "horn" in the front right behind the fuel tank area causes pressure on "The Boyz" down there(anybody who talks about big doo-dads like it's a good thing have obviously never had to live with them:eek:).

..I'm lookin forward to many more miles on this rig, but the seat is cuttin in on my riding comfort right now.
Any suggestions.? Thanks.. :cool: d:^) Schneeks..

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Doesn't seem like they work with 1500's.. d:^) Schneeks..
They used to mod 1500 seats as well, so I suggest you call them.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
I had a Saddleman Road Sofa with the backrest on my 98 GL1500. Lowered me 1 inch and raised the back support by about 2 inches. Made many 600+ mile trips and never any problems.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Just bought me a used Corbin for my 1500 and leaving Sunday morning at 0400am to go after it 387 miles one way, meet up with the guy, mount new saddle on bike and then turn around and give the saddle a test ride home. After my Iron Butt ride last weekend I needed something other than the iron pipe I felt like I was setting on.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Schneeks,

Have you tried a gel pad yet? That's where I'm heading next to care for my "low-hanging fruit". Also increases leg room a bit which would also help.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
I alos have a sheepskin gel pad, and used it since I got it this month. It helps heps, but for a 15 hour ride its not enough, but for short rides they are great.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just posted this on another forum. I was all set to order a Russell Day Long. The only thing I didn't care for, was that Russell uses your existing seat pan. Now if the OEM seat has lost it's support, I'd think the seat pan has also been stressed. Regarding a brand new custom seat, to me that seemed like building a new house on an old foundation. Then a few Wing owners told me about Diamond and Hartco seats. After talking to Mark from Hartco, I was convinced that was the custom seat for me. Just my opinion. ;)

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Forget the expense of a new seat, try the Airhawk R seat cushion. This thing fits perfectly on the stock seat of a Goldwing. It will raise you slightly, but is adjustable so you can work with that. It is ergonomically cut to reduce testicular pressure. It feels as if you are riding on air because that's exactly what you're doing. The Airhawk technology was originally developed to decrease pressure on the backs and butts of those in wheel chairs. It became popular with truckers and heavy equipment operators and then moved into the motorcycle world. My best friend, who has been an earth mover operator for many years, introduced the Airhawk R to me and its made a huge difference. It's such a different feeling that it does take some getting use to, because you get a feeling that you are separated from the seat. There are many models of Airhawk products but the R version sounds like it would meet your needs. There are video reviews on You Tube. It sound expensive for its simplicity, but as I said it has made a hugh difference for me.

·
Banned
103 Posts
I agree with the AirHawk. We've been using them for a few years now. I tried the Corbin seat. They let me put one on when we were in Holister. I didn't like it all that much ... so I stuck with the AirHawk.

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
I too use and air hawk occasionally. I got it for my wife but since she isn't riding I've been putting it to use on longer trips. I pull it out for a change of position. The stock seat works okay for me but adding that little bit of hight eases the ride.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eeeenteresting. I wonder if the Airhawk folks, or a distributor that carries them will be down in Myrtle Beach this week.? :cool: d:^) Schneeks..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.